Ling new Geelong captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly, this is main board worthy.

Secondly - Ling is a good appointment although I thought Ablett may have gotten it as a carrot.

Still if he will only stay at Geelong if he is captain would you want him.

Ling will be a good leader like ahrley was. He seems more laid back so will be interesting to see what the discipline is like. Harley was very strict.

Ling is VERY strict, don't be confused by his jovial manner.

Interesting that Ablett has been overlooked, thought he'd be the logical choice as their best player. Is that a sign that Geelong aren't confident he'll be staying there?

Selwood probably would have been the other main contender but is maybe a bit too young at this stage.

Ling isn't a bad choice though, has been a stalwart at the Cats and seems to be a pretty popular bloke even if he does have a head only a mother could love.

No. It's a sign that Ling is and always was the best man for the job. If Ablett was, he'd be captain.

Correct pick..

He has been the vice captain for 3 years..has lead the club on and off superbly and has basically acted as captain for half of each of the last two years with harley out..

can handle media brilliantly..and we all know how loved and respected he is both by the fans and players..

Selwood can be vice for 3 years then step in and the perfect age of 24...

Harley played every game in 2008.

Great news though. Exactly the right man appointed.

right choice. ling will take to captaincy extremely well. ablett can continue to play as the best in the team (game) without the extra burden and selwood can keep up the excellent work and look forward to a long future with the cats.

Interesting that Ablett has been overlooked, thought he'd be the logical choice as their best player. Is that a sign that Geelong aren't confident he'll be staying there?

Selwood probably would have been the other main contender but is maybe a bit too young at this stage.

Ling isn't a bad choice though, has been a stalwart at the Cats and seems to be a pretty popular bloke even if he does have a head only a mother could love.

Or because Ling is the best leader? Just because Ablett is their best player doesn't mean he's the best captain. Harley wasn't even Geelong's best defender.

Correct choice.

Ling was next in line, and had been groomed to be captain. People only started questioning it because of Ablett, but Ling has been appointed, keeping the hierarchy and tradition of the club intact. Which is more important than any individual player.

Excellent choice. Cameron Ling has earned the right to be captain after years of faithful service and being a great ambassador for his club.

It also sits better with me that he is captain because it is a bit unnatural to appoint a player 5 or 6 years younger than he is just because he's been earmarked as an eventual captain of the club. I think it's better that a captain be one of the older players to keep the natural order of things. I don't think the 30 year old players would like to take orders from a 24 year old - no matter how natural a leader he might be. Selwood's time will come soon enough. Also better not to burden a younger player on a hot streak like Selwood or Ablett with the captaincy - might upset their form.

Correct choice.

Ling was next in line, and had been groomed to be captain. People only started questioning it because of Ablett, but Ling has been appointed, keeping the hierarchy and tradition of the club intact. Which is more important than any individual player.

Goes against my instinct to agree with Hawthorn supporters, but couldn't agree more with what you've said. Exactly the right appointment.

They know what they're doing, these days anyway. :p

Thank god you have no say in running our club.Jr may be our best player,even that's debatable,but no way do I think he's the logical choice.There's more to being a captain than just playing games.I doubt Jr would handle all the media and off field commitments that well.

Revolt has a head like a robbers dog and he looks like a window licker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont understand why the captain needs to be the best player.

Good appointment. Super predictable.

Thank god you have no say in running our club.Jr may be our best player,even that's debatable,but no way do I think he's the logical choice.There's more to being a captain than just playing games.I doubt Jr would handle all the media and off field commitments that well.

Well Ablett seems to lead well on the field. Always stands up in the big games and was one of the few Geelong players to play well in the 2008 GF when the tide was against them. He seems to speak well in the media too even if he does tend to shun publicity and he is very marketable. Can't see any reason why he wouldn't be a good captain so you have to wonder if there are other factors behind the scenes (ie.a possible move to GC) that made them select Ling instead.

Revolt has a head like a robbers dog and he looks like a window licker.

Now you're just being petty, Riewoldt has nothing on Ling in the ugly stakes and you know it.

Well Ablett seems to lead well on the field. Always stands up in the big games and was one of the few Geelong players to play well in the 2008 GF when the tide was against them. He seems to speak well in the media too even if he does tend to shun publicity and he is very marketable. Can't see any reason why he wouldn't be a good captain so you have to wonder if there are other factors behind the scenes (ie.a possible move to GC) that made them select Ling instead.

Now you're just being petty, Riewoldt has nothing on Ling in the ugly stakes and you know it.

Ling was Vice-Captain and is considered the best leader, that's why he was chosen, not the crap you've come out with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ling new Geelong captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back