Women's Footy Lions AFLW 2024 (Season 9) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

New Lions assistant coach appointment. Ryan Davis has AFL and local football experience for Southport including coaching their team.

Well done to Mia, Molly & Harlee. Stella Scott a little stiff to miss out. 2026 shaping up to be a good year for us.

The draw should be out this week I believe and players are heading to preseason training.

Wish 1: no injuries in preseason, especially the three letters that shall not be uttered together. Surely our men’s team have covered our quota of that particular injury.

Wish 2: a decent draw rather than just match us up against all the other top contenders again. Hopefully we get a mix of games against teams right down the ladder. I have no doubt we will play the usual suspects North, Adelaide and Melbourne though.

Wish 3: players come back switched on and ready to dig in. Some haven’t played in local comps much, unlike a lot of other states. GWS and Sydney players played in VFLW. Perhaps with an extra month of finals last year it was wise enough to let the players recover but now it has to be 100% effort.

Wish 4: new players immediately getting a dose of professionalism. Quite a few are academy girls so have been around players like Grider quite a lot who they seem to talk highly of. We need to replace a few who left and hopefully there are some of the draftees who can make a case for selection. The two WA girls also will have to get up to speed quickly. I’m not sure the Eagles program was always at the elite end of the spectrum.

Wish 5: some players I want to see find a new level.
Dawes - already in the top twenty midfielders in the comp in my eyes but such a competitor she can still find another level.

Mullins - hopefully some midfield/wing time. A quite X factor player if she keeps developing.

Ellinger: she should be ready to become an elite running outside mid/halfback of the comp.

Hickie: if umpires play the ruck rules properly she can be the best ruck in the comp, too mobile and agile for most others. By far the best leap of any ruck in the comp.

Smith: she can be the second ruck/second tall forward and be damaging in both positions. Seems to have matured into her height now.

Dunne: was a raw recruit in a premiership team last year. She should develop considerably more this season.

Postlethwaite - hopefully some patches of inside midfield time and more confidence in her body. This could be her season.

Hoping for:

• Another key forward to develop and become a presence.
  • someone to be a taller presence down back rather than relying on Koenen and Campbell.
  • one draftee to establish themselves in the team. Sophie Peters perhaps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back