Mod. Notice Lions board feedback thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah ha, thats why!....have just put the same on the main complaints errors etc thread....had real trouble until just now..thought it may have been at our end...

I find the complaining about the umpiring in the game day thread every single week pretty annoying.

Yeah. Look at the other team's board & they are the same. 2 sides to every coin.

Did not want to derail the gameday thread, but. Agree we can be a bit short with opposition posters, but what really gets up my nose is when they come on here & start condescending threads. Un-needed arrogance.

I don't have faith in our recruiters

Nice way to take the piss with the thread title Grim.:rolleyes:

Seriously outrageous Grim, why don't you go further and be more of an arse about it?:rolleyes:

Re: I don't have faith in our recruiters

Isn't that the point you were trying to get across?

What was this whole tangent on the Clark thread about then?

I don't know where this conversation came from or why it warranted a new thread, but this isn't the first time the board mods have quarantined off negative viewpoints in a thread with a patronising title and I think its a pretty poor strategy.

I can't see anything above that Dylan said that's worth objecting to. I happen to disagree, for the most part, but some people on this board need to get used to the fact that when our team wins four games a season not everyone is going to be totally happy with the decisions made to get us to that point.

I don't know where this conversation came from or why it warranted a new thread, but this isn't the first time the board mods have quarantined off negative viewpoints in a thread with a patronising title and I think its a pretty poor strategy.

A new thread was created because it had gone off topic.

Why is the title patronising?

Re: What compensation would we get for Clark?

I hope so, but with out past history, I certainly wouldn't count on it.

Well there is one still there notoriously linked with the 2009 disaster. Let's not forget that we overlooked Heppell and Darling last year, two pretty hand players. Don't get me wrong, I like Karnezis, but if we were really serious about finding a ready made replacement for Brown, well that ship has sailed, so please, excuse my faith.

No, just pointing out to Bucking Beads, quite poorly on my behalf, that just because we have, as he/she said 'different recruitment and list management' (which really aren't so new) that I am not 100% sold that they won't or haven't made mistakes (which of course is open to interpretation and may not be known for another 3+ years).

Again, I reiterate, that I like and rate Karnezis, however, I think Darling would have filled a greater need long-term at our club. And lastly, I just think we plain got Polec wrong and I hope to god I am proven wrong. I will say, I am still extremely envious of West Coast's drafting of Gaff (which we didn't have the opportunity to draft) and Darling.

It seems to me that this was the message that Dylan was driving.

I can't see anything above that Dylan said that's worth objecting to. I happen to disagree, for the most part, but some people on this board need to get used to the fact that when our team wins four games a season not everyone is going to be totally happy with the decisions made to get us to that point.

That's a fair point Tom. But why does "Voss's a bad coach & he stuffed up in 2009" etc etc have to permeate through every thread on our forum ? I mean what has this got to do with possible compensation for Clark ? I know that a lot of threads go off topic from time to time. But don't you think that it is fair to move on from some issues in the past ???

I think that the thread title is appropriate. Isn't that what Dylan was alluding to ?

A new thread was created because it had gone off topic.

Because it takes a fairly complicated, nuanced point that Dylan was making and massively oversimplifies it, using language (faith) that Bucking Beads introduced to the discussion.

Because it takes a fairly complicated, nuanced point that Dylan was making and massively oversimplifies it, using language (faith) that Bucking Beads introduced to the discussion.

it does?

The only missing nuance I can see is 'so I think we'll stuff up the Clark trade'.

Should I add that to the title?

That's a fair point Tom. But why does "Voss's a bad coach & he stuffed up in 2009" etc etc have to permeate through every thread on our forum ? I mean what has this got to do with possible compensation for Clark ? I know that a lot of threads go off topic from time to time. But don't you think that it is fair to move on from some issues in the past ???

I think that the thread title is appropriate. Isn't that what Dylan was alluding to ?

I don't think it does permeate through every thread. However, I do think the decisions made in 2009 had far reaching consequences and you would expect it to be mentioned a lot in any open discussion about the team.

It seems to me entirely appropriate that when we're discussing possible trades, we look back to the last few trades we made and how they worked out.

Here's the reality: Voss will always carry the Fevola trade like an albatross around his neck. That is the reality of being in a high-profile position of responsibility. He is accountable for his decisions. He seems to be making good progress at the moment, but ultimately he has to be judged on the whole of his coaching career, not the more recent fairly good parts.

BigFooty isn't something that 'people need to get used to'. We try to cater to everyone. Separating threads is a good way to do this so that people can involve themselves in whichever topics interest them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But why does "Voss's a bad coach & he stuffed up in 2009" etc etc have to permeate through every thread on our forum ?

Good question. The possibilities are endless. How about a mild form of self flagellation?

But I do agree it is rather boring and I am reaching the point where I think I only read nowadays through loyalty.

It makes me feel I also have little to offer constructively as it all seems so banal. I blame the last footy book I read; Sheeds bio. I realised that coaches procrastinating over who to leave out was something that has been happening since Cain got left off the team.

it does?

The only missing nuance I can see is 'so I think we'll stuff up the Clark trade'.

Should I add that to the title?

I'm not sure this really deserves a response, but here goes...

Dylan has presented a bunch of examples of recruiting decisions made by the club. In his view, there are more negative outcomes than positive outcomes.

'I don't have faith in X' is a pretty black and white statement, and one that Dylan hasn't made.

Why bother trying to condense his argument into seven words at all? Why not just call the thread 'Lions recruiting capabilities' or something? Dylan is entitled to represent his views as he sees fit. You are putting words into his mouth.

BigFooty isn't something that 'people need to get used to'. We try to cater to everyone. Separating threads is a good way to do this so that people can involve themselves in whichever topics interest them.

You're conflating two separate points I was making.

First point: I think you need to be a little more careful about siloing off people's views into a separate thread, particularly when you name those threads.

Second point: There's a bunch of people who moan when issues like the 2009 trades are brought up. It's really annoying. It makes me averse to raising that issue even when I think its relevant.

I'm not sure this really deserves a response, but here goes...

Dylan has presented a bunch of examples of recruiting decisions made by the club. In his view, there are more negative outcomes than positive outcomes.

'I don't have faith in X' is a pretty black and white statement, and one that Dylan hasn't made.

Why bother trying to condense his argument into seven words at all? Why not just call the thread 'Lions recruiting capabilities' or something? Dylan is entitled to represent his views as he sees fit. You are putting words into his mouth.

I'm sure Dylan appreciates you going into bat for him, but shouldn't this request come from him?

Nice way to take the piss with the thread title Grim.:rolleyes:

Seriously outrageous Grim, why don't you go further and be more of an arse about it?:rolleyes:

I think he's made his point of view pretty clear.

I wouldn't be worried about this if it was just one incident, but over this year it has seemed like the mods have been more eager to get involved once people start criticising Voss.

Second point: There's a bunch of people who moan when issues like the 2009 trades are brought up. It's really annoying. It makes me averse to raising that issue even when I think its relevant.

It's impossible to make everyone happy.

The topic has been done to death. Dylan in particular has let his thoughts be known on it repeatedly. It reached a point where the mods decided to contain the discussion in a particular thread because the annoyance factor was becoming too great.

In order to cater for as many people as possible there is a thread for people who want to keep going over it, but we have also tried to cater to other posters who are sick of it. I wish there was also a way to make you happy, but this is the best compromise as far as I can see.

More the point, how isn't it? Considering how petty you are with a range of things on this board, I am staggered that you don't think it is patronising, especially considering the first post of any thread usually sets the scene for the thread and mine doesn't.

The only missing nuance I can see is 'so I think we'll stuff up the Clark trade'. Should I add that to the title?

Why not, it is patronising enough, go the full hogg.

I'm sure Dylan appreciates you going into bat for him, but shouldn't this request come from him?

Having left the site for half an hour or so, I do appreciate Tom's well thought out responses, but I sense Tom is not only speaking about this thread, but also the administration and somewhat trepidation when raising certain topics.

Not that I would, but I sincerely doubt that if I reported the thread, as Grim suggests we do when we take offence to a post, as opposed to engaging in a war of words and responding angrily to a fellow poster, that anything would be done...anyway have a good night lads...cheers Tom.:thumbsu:

I wouldn't be worried about this if it was just one incident, but over this year it has seemed like the mods have been more eager to get involved once people start criticising Voss.

The crazy thing Tom, is that I have no issue with Voss, except I made a reference somewhere that one party involved in the Fev trade is still at the club...apart from that, I don't recall sticking it to Voss and have no reason to, except that I am riled that he pushed Luke Power out the door, the way I see it...anyway, I can't be bothered, but appreciate the support.

I think he's made his point of view pretty clear.

Yet, didn't offer an alternative. Am I to keep guessing at titles until he gives his approval?

Your perceptions are probably a result of negative tangents tending to go on for longer.

You are free to criticise Voss and the recruiters as much as you want in here. That's why the thread was created. While people who want to talk about the Clark trade can do so in that thread.

I don't see that as censoring opinion. I'm trying to accommodate different people's interests, and despite your objections, the inconvenience seems quite minimal.

Isn't that the point you were trying to get across?

What was this whole tangent on the Clark thread about then?

Dylan, why didn't you respond to these questions?

The topic has been done to death. Dylan in particular has let his thoughts be known on it repeatedly. It reached a point where the mods decided to contain the discussion in a particular thread because the annoyance factor was becoming too great.

In order to cater for as many people as possible there is a thread for people who want to keep going over it, but we have also tried to cater to other posters who are sick of it. I wish there was also a way to make you happy, but this is the best compromise as far as I can see.

Are you talking about the 'Doom and Gloom' thread, or whatever its called? Not really inspiring. Why not have a 'Sweetness and Light' thread, where Lions fans can discuss how brilliantly the club is going without any reference to the mistakes of the past?

Anyway, I don't know how much clearer I need to be, but I'm not asking the mods to do anything about the chorus of whining that greets any reference to the 2009 trades. I'd prefer it if it stopped, but I don't think its your job to stop it.

I do however think its your job to be even-handed to both sides of every discussion and I'm not certain that's happening.

Yet, didn't offer an alternative. Am I to keep guessing at titles until he gives his approval?

Honestly! Just give it a neutral title that doesn't put words in his mouth!

Your perceptions are probably a result of negative tangents tending to go on for longer.

Possibly, but it goes beyond just creating new threads.

Anyway, sleep now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back