Lions Reserves 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see that Polks really responded to being in the 2's and got on with the job so well. I agree that it might have benefitted him if it had happened earlier. He has always been a loyal team man regardless of form.

Hopefully he will be back in the mix for a senior start with plenty of confidence. We can never have too many pressing to be in the best 22 because their form, work rate and confidence demands it.

Good to see that Polks really responded to being in the 2's and got on with the job so well. I agree that it might have benefitted him if it had happened earlier. He has always been a loyal team man regardless of form.

Hopefully he will be back in the mix for a senior start with plenty of confidence. We can never have too many pressing to be in the best 22 because their form, work rate and confidence demands it.
Also shows the others that mediocre consistency isn't accepted any more, you have to earn your spot in the side.

Thought all the rookies did well today Michael, Bourke, Newell and Hayes all impressive. IMO Hayes was one of the best Lions players today. The top up players also deserve a pat on the back for a job well done.

Nothing mentioning Pat. Would be disappointed if his form dropped off.

6 from Ace still doesn't impress me too much. He does love to beat up on the weak opposition though, so he might come in against Melbourne.

Agree with the best nominated above. Pretty clear that Yeo and Polkinghorne didn't appreciate being dropped, as they should. That's not to say they were without blemish- plenty of mistakes from both. Same with Karnezis- got the pill an awful lot, but often marred by poor execution. That's the difference between this level and seniors, it goes without saying.

FWIW, I thought Nick Hayes was our best for clean execution and involvement. What a great pick up he will be. Tremendously impressive.

Team Match Stats

TEAM1QG1QBQ1PTS2QG2QBQ2PTS3QG3QBQ3PTS4QG4QBPTS
Broadbeach 2 3 15 4 7 31 4 11 35 7 14 56
Brisbane Lions 3 6 24 6 9 45 13 12 90 20 16 136
Brisbane Lions
Goal Kickers: A. Cornelius 6, J. Lisle 4, J. O''Brien 2, J. Stiller 2, N. Hayes , C. Tickner , M. Close , B. Staker , J. Polkinghorne , P. Karnezis
Best Players: J. Polkinghorne, N. Hayes, I. Conway, T. Banfield, P. Karnezis, J. Bourke

FWIW, I thought Nick Hayes was our best for clean execution and involvement. What a great pick up he will be. Tremendously impressive.

He's a footballer. Just had to get comfortable playing with men. Looks a prospect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team Match Stats

TEAM1QG1QBQ1PTS2QG2QBQ2PTS3QG3QBQ3PTS4QG4QBPTS
Broadbeach 2 3 15 4 7 31 4 11 35 7 14 56
Brisbane Lions 3 6 24 6 9 45 13 12 90 20 16 136
Brisbane Lions
Goal Kickers: A. Cornelius 6, J. Lisle 4, J. O''Brien 2, J. Stiller 2, N. Hayes , C. Tickner , M. Close , B. Staker , J. Polkinghorne , P. Karnezis
Best Players: J. Polkinghorne, N. Hayes, I. Conway, T. Banfield, P. Karnezis, J. Bourke[/quote

Did Tickner play? If so was he number 51? Had some good moments if so. Big strong lad

Has Toddy been showing much this year? IMO long term he should be a better small forward than Green.

Conway was easily in the best couple today with Hayes, Izzy put Weller to sleep early and carried out playing a terrific game. Banfield has had a good month, is up and about playing midfield/fwd. Just needs to continue to put his name up for consideration. Patty K broke open the game with his ability to get outside possessions after being a little quiet early. Ace was frustrating at times and brilliant at other times. Lisle had a relatively quiet day. Our academy kids were once again terrific. We saw Dawson for the first time. 5 touches till half time and finished with 16. Has mits like Stuey Lowe and can play anywhere on the ground. With him and Lou Radford we have some good overlap run off half back. Stiller and Gribble were there abouts working hard. Tickner just needs to keep playing and working hard, has been in Europe with the AIS.
Our backline lads, Clarke and Bourke have had a great start, Bourke impressive on a mixture of opponents.
Blacky, Stakes, Obrien got through unscathed, all saying they couldn't blow out a candle after 5 min!
A good win against opposition that took time to put away. A very short turn around now with the lads flying to Mackay on Wednesday morning. I can't see any of the seniors dropping back other than Crisp and Longer if either don't play against North so hopefully all the boys recover well and make the plane Wednesday.

Polks is too good for the Ressies but maybe he needs a few games there to realize it. We are probably hard on him because he gets no ball but I think he may have a defensive role most weeks. He just needs to raise the possession tally up a bit if that is the case.

My 20c worth:
  • Broadbeach actually played quite well in the first half and could have easily been in front. They continued to play OK in the second half but often turned the ball over coming forward.
  • Really good team effort and the top-up players didn't look out of place.
  • Karnezis played really well and kick a great goal from a set shot on the boundary. Would be very surprised if he doesn't return to the seniors next week.

Thanks for the reports as always guys. Sounds like there was a hell of a lot to take away from yesterday's game. Fantastic to hear all the rookies and academy kids are impressing. :thumbsu:

Close - elite kick!
Oh really?! Do share more.

Liam Dawson, whoever he is is fantastic, great effort when he didn't have the ball and went hard when he did, made a fan out of me instantly

Dawson's one of the two lions academy kids (along with Matthew Hammelmann) eligible to be drafted in 2014, selected in the AIS squad. Awesome to hear that he's already impressing in the ressies. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions Reserves 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back