News Lions to wear traditional jumper...now reduced by the club to the 'commemorative hat-trick jumper'

Remove this Banner Ad

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Brisbane Lions to wear commemorative hat-trick jumper that may open old wounds
April 30, 2013
Greg Davis

BRISBANE will celebrate the 10th anniversary of their premiership hat-trick by wearing a commemorative jumper against Essendon and Collingwood this season.

The traditional side-on Lion logo will adorn the guernsey for the Round 8 clash with the Bombers at Etihad Stadium on May 18, and the Round 10 Gabba clash against Collingwood. It will also carry the 41 names on the senior list from 2001-03 to have played one game or more. But the re-emergence of the old Lion is set to open old wounds.

Brisbane abandoned the established Lion figure at the end of 2009 for a design likened to the "Paddlepop Lion", which attracted widespread outcry - particularly from Fitzroy fans, who initiated legal action before reaching a settlement with the club.

A section of the Lions faithful hoped the club would revert to the traditional logo when former CEO Michael Bowers was shown the door in 2010. But the Lions are standing firm on the modern design.
866819-brisbane-lions-jumper.jpg

Stoked about the underlined section.:)

Pissed about the bolded section.:mad:

Worst secret in football finally announced.

Holmes's justification for keeping the new Lion has no compelling logic.

"The new Lion adorns our club from the academy up..."

Couldn't the old Lion do the same?

Regardless, will just have to cherish those two games.

Good to see Darren Bradshaw finally get the recognition that he deserved!

Seriously though, I am happy to see guys like Robbins and Kennedy get recognition for their efforts in actually getting us into the grand final by being named on the jumper.

And I'll probably be able to get to both games, which will be nice.

Once the momentum begins it will be unstoppable.

Spot on. Despite Holmes' naïve view, I'm hoping wearing the jumper again could stir up a lot of emotions and bring the issue squarely back on the agenda if the members and supporters demand a vote for the return.

Great that we're doing it for both matches. Makes it so important that we're competitive in them both though. Would be wrong to see us wearing that guernsey again and getting flogged.

It pains me to say it but we have the worst guernsey in footy. I would like to have some of the media types, aka Robbo possibly make notion of this. My eldest boys is about to turn 3 and my brainwashing is slowly taking hold, he can finish lines of our club song and wants to go to to the footy with me. He also wants a guernsey like his daddy to wear but I will not buy one of the new guernseys which supposedly Brownie loves!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great that we're doing it for both matches. Makes it so important that we're competitive in them both though. Would be wrong to see us wearing that guernsey again and getting flogged.
I hope the likes of Greg Davis, Mike Whiting and Dom Fay make some noise about this closer to the day and get people thinking. It's important some mileage is gained from the opportunities, don't ya think PK.

I'm torn. I would love to own this guernsey. However, I'm confident that, as with the HoF guernsey, strong sales of this commemorative guernsey will be used by the lions admin as further validation of the paddlepop.

Put your ass backwards hat on and figure their logic out on that one.

I'm torn. I would love to own this guernsey. However, I'm confident that, as with the HoF guernsey, strong sales of this commemorative guernsey will be used by the lions admin as further validation of the paddlepop.

Put your arse backwards hat on and figure their logic out on that one.

You nailed my first and second thoughts... :(

Maybe their logic makes sense? If we have a shit standard jumper, and bring out decent commemorative ones, we sell more commemorative ones so our jumper sales go up overall. Maybe?

Player Listing:
  1. Des Headland
  2. Chris Johnson
  3. Michael Voss
  4. Craig McRae
  5. Brad Scott
  6. Luke Power
  7. Tim Notting
  8. Ashley McGrath
  9. Marcus Ashcroft
  10. Alistair Lynch
  11. Jason Akermanis
  12. Martin Pike
  13. Richard Headley
  14. Mal Michael
  15. Johanthan Brown
  16. Jamie Charman
  17. Simon Black
  18. Damien Cupido
  19. Chris Scott
  20. Justin Leppitch
  21. Marcus Picken
  22. Dylan McLaren
  23. Craig Bolton
  24. Chark Keating
  25. Ben Robbins
  26. Robery Copeland
  27. Shaun Hart
  28. Darryl White
  29. Aaron Shattock
  30. Daniel Bradshaw
  31. Nathan Clarke
  32. Matthew Kennedy
  33. Beau McDonald
  34. Nigel Lappin
  35. Trent Knobel
  36. Shane Morrison
  37. Darren Bradshaw
  38. Blake Caracella
  39. Jason Gram
  40. Jared Brennan
  41. Luke Weller
I would like to make the following congratulations to players I never knew played for us:
  • Richard Headley
  • Johanthan Brown
  • Robery Copeland (explains why he looked like a bushranger)
  • Chark Keating
  • Marcus Picken
  • Ben Robbins
(No misspelling of the last two - I've just never heard of them.)

Remove this Banner Ad

News Lions to wear traditional jumper...now reduced by the club to the 'commemorative hat-trick jumper'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back