Britt Tully
Taylah Davies (Rookie)

List changes:

Emma Swanson (West Coast)
Maddy Collier (West Coast)
Christina Bernardi (Richmond)
Phoebe Monahan (Richmond)
Courtney Gum (Retired)

The first of two AFLW Sign and Trade Periods concludes at 5pm on Thursday, April 18.

Sensible move from Hewett. Jess Foley was a revelation this year and despite her age is likely to be around for at least another season for two. With Metcalfe potentially to return in the ruck role, Foley will most likely be used in the utility role. The Crows also have Jess Allan as a ruck-height utility.

Hewett is a quality player, she'll be good at Gold Coast.

2020 GIANTS AFLW List Changes

Re-signed:

Amanda Farrugia
Alicia Eva
Cora Staunton
Haneen Zreika
Elle Bennetts
Nicola Barr
Ellie Brush
Jacinda Barclay
Louise Stephenson
Rebecca Beeson
Pepa Randall
Erin McKinnon
Yvonne Bonner
Alyce Parker
Jodie Hicks
Aimee Schmidt
Ingrid Nielsen
Tanya Hetherington
Jessica Dal Pos
Britt Tully
Taylah Davies (Rookie)

List changes:

Emma Swanson (West Coast)
Maddy Collier (West Coast)
Christina Bernardi (Richmond)
Phoebe Monahan (Richmond)
Courtney Gum (Retired)

The first of two AFLW Sign and Trade Periods concludes at 5pm on Thursday, April 18.

Not re-signed :
Delma Gisu
Tait Mackrill
Ebony O'Dea
Britt Perry
Renee Tomkins
Lisa Whiteley

Collingwood would be a better bet as Jane Woodlands -Thompson is doing the High Performance was on the Crows Womens Board in the Goddard years.

Here are the non signed players of Melbourne:
Ashleigh Guest
Shelley Heath
Jordann Hickey
Ainslie Kemp
Catherine Phillips
Talia Radan
Ashleigh Woodland
Daisy Pearce

Here are the non signed players of North Melbourne:
Chloe Haines
Libby Haines
Moana Hope
Emma Humphries
Courtney Munn
Georgina Nanscawen
Maddison Smith
Jessie Williams (Rookie)

It will be interesting to see what compensation the AFL does give for a club losing eight players.

Last year most people agreed that Collingwood got absolutely raided, and their compensation was a pick at the end of the first round. The Bulldogs got a pick at the end of the second round, Melbourne a pick at the end of the third round, Carlton a pick at the end of the fourth round.

Brisbane weren't given any compensation picks, presumably because they were effectively worthless when they had sole access to their draft pool. This year, Brisbane is picking against Gold Coast, so compensation picks are absolutely valuable for them.

Last years compensation sucked for the Dogs. We only received a 3rd round compensation for losing the reigning AFLW MVP in Kearney, and an even better and younger player in Bruton (won Norths BnF over Kearney). As well as Asta O'Connor and Daria Bannister.

We should of at least got the same compensation as the Pies or even better considering we both lost 4 players but our 4 were of much higher quality (Bruton and Kearney came 1st and 2nd in Norths BnF ahead of all 4 Pies recruits, and Moana Hope is already delisted).

Watch us get screwed for compensation again this year even though we're losing our captain and 1 of the best players in the AFLW.

Last years compensation sucked for the Dogs. We only received a 3rd round compensation for losing the reigning AFLW MVP in Kearney, and an even better and younger player in Bruton (won Norths BnF over Kearney). As well as Asta O'Connor and Daria Bannister.

We should of at least got the same compensation as the Pies or even better considering we both lost 4 players but our 4 were of much higher quality (Bruton and Kearney came 1st and 2nd in Norths BnF ahead of all 4 Pies recruits, and Moana Hope is already delisted).

Watch us get screwed for compensation again this year even though we're losing our captain and 1 of the best players in the AFLW.
Fair bit of omitted information there. Collingwood lost 4 of their top 10 from last year's B&F count while the Bulldogs lost 2. Three of those ex-Collingwood players were All-Australians this year but only one ex-Bulldog (although Bruton made the squad at least).

Actually, wait, wasn't there a second ex-Bulldog in the 2019 AA team...? Kinda messes with the such-and-such-was-delisted argument.

Going off my interpretation of how they handled it last year, below is what I'm thinking we'll see announced on Tuesday in the way of additional draft selections.

Carlton Expansion Losses (1)
Rhiannon Watt
Predicted Recruiting Compensation: Start of the 5th round (approx. Pick 66)

Collingwood Expansion Losses (2)
Darcy Guttridge, Iilish Ross
Predicted Recruiting Compensation: Start of the 4th round (approx. Pick 51)

Melbourne Expansion Losses (2)
Cat Phillips, Maddy Brancatisano
Predicted Recruiting Compensation: Start of the 4th round (approx. Pick 50)

North Melbourne Expansion Losses (3)
Jamie Stanton, Alison Drennan, Courteney Munn
Predicted Recruiting Compensation: Start of the 3rd round (approx. Pick 34)

Western Bulldogs Expansion Losses (4)
Katie Brennan, Tiarna Ernst, Selena Karlson, Belinda Smith
Predicted Recruiting Compensation: Start of the 2nd round (approx. Pick 18)

For context - Geelong 2018 Expansion Signings (7)
Melissa Hickey, Phoebe McWilliams, Richelle Cranston, Aasta O’Connor, Madeleine Boyd, Erin Hoare, Anna Teague
2018 Recruiting Compensation: Pick 1, Pick 2, Pick 15

St Kilda Expansion Signings (8)
Nat Exon, Cat Phillips, Darcy Guttridge, Alison Drennan, Jess Sedunary, Courteney Munn, Selena Karlson, Rhiannon Watt
Predicted Recruiting Compensation: approx. Pick 1, Pick 3, Pick 35

Richmond Expansion Signings (5)
Katie Brennan, Christina Bernardi, Iilish Ross, Phoebe Monahan, Maddy Brancatisano
Predicted Recruiting Compensation: approx. Pick 2, Pick 19

I've already talked about how Richmond should be able to get the Conti trade done via a straight swap for that speculative #2 pick. But I should add that Collingwood would hope it happens in such a fashion as much as anybody, because then Carlton don't really have a leg to stand on and ask for more in the Davey trade.

These compo projections, if accurate, could also help get Libby Birch to the Demons. They won't want to hand over their first-rounder, but the Bulldogs will want more than a second-rounder, and both clubs would be justified with those positions. A credible compromise would be if the Dees give up Picks 8 and 24 while the Dogs give up Pick 18 and Birch. Part of the enticement for Melbourne there would be the likelihood in some or all of picks 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 not being used on Vic Metro players, so 8 down to 18 won't be as big a downgrade as it seems.

Having earlier mentioned the possibility of an overloaded Melbourne backline, it got me thinking about how Frawley and Lake as surplus to the Hawks' Gibson, Burgoyne, Hodge, Birchall etc wasn't such a burden after all. And right now it does feel to me like Melbourne's AFLW team has just gone through that 2010-12 Hawthorn pre-dominance era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RedmanWasHere the following changes can be included in post #2:

St Kilda
Courteney Munn (North Melbourne)
Jess Sedunary (Adelaide)
Cat Phillips (Melbourne)

West Coast
Alicia Janz (Fremantle)
Kellie Gibson (Fremantle)

Also should point out it's definitely confirmed the former Lion and newly-signed Tiger previously known as Sabrina Cougar Mellencamp is just going by Sabrina Frederick now and has requested media no longer use the "–Traub".

Not a list post per se, more an observation for comment. Could have gone on the AFLW general thread, but to many trolls and morons frequent that.

This comes about as Brisbane have traded in a number of picks with players leaving. This raises an issue.

If we take a hypothetical draft order.

pick 1, Vic club
2, Vic club
3, WA club
4, Pies
5, Suns
6, Vic club
7, Lions

In the mens comp, If the Pies traded their pick 4 to the Lions for a player, no other club is affected. The Suns still have 4 clubs pick ahead of them, from the same pool of players.

However, if we apply the same draft order to the Womens, its a bit different. The Qld part of the draft is pick 1 - Suns, pick 2 - Lions.

Suns have the first shot at the best player in Qld and no other club can get her.

However, if the Pies trade their pick 4 to the Lions, the Suns are effectively bumped from pick 1 to pick 2.

This seems to be to be potentially a big problem.

The Pies give up effectively the third Vic pick, but get a player they think is worth it. The Lions give up a good player, and get the first pick in Qld. The Suns lose pick one and get??

The Pies and the Lions have effectively done a deal for the Lions to trade a player to the Pies for the Suns first pick. That has to be a problem surely?

This is compounded as a problem by the fact that while Brisbane is complaining about being raided, they still have a bigger and better list that the Suns, if they can now trade in picks, then every Suns pick that comes after, has effectively been downgraded.
Question is what's more important to the league: ensuring Brisbane get fair trade value, or ensuring the Queensland talent is split evenly between the two AFLW clubs there. If it's the latter, they might combat it this year with compensation picks for the Suns.

The course of action I'd like to see taken in the future would involve the use of three-way trades. Taking your example: Lions would send their wantaway player to the Pies, Pies would send pick 4 to the Suns, Suns would send something* to the Lions.

*player(s) already based in Queensland and/or later pick upgrade(s)

Also should point out it's definitely confirmed the former Lion and newly-signed Tiger previously known as Sabrina Cougar Mellencamp is just going by Sabrina Frederick now and has requested media no longer use the "–Traub".

So she's no longer Sabrina Rogers Nelson then?

Going off my interpretation of how they handled it last year, below is what I'm thinking we'll see announced on Tuesday in the way of additional draft selections.

Carlton Expansion Losses (1)
Rhiannon Watt
Predicted Recruiting Compensation: Start of the 5th round (approx. Pick 66)

Collingwood Expansion Losses (2)
Darcy Guttridge, Iilish Ross
Predicted Recruiting Compensation: Start of the 4th round (approx. Pick 51)

Melbourne Expansion Losses (2)
Cat Phillips, Maddy Brancatisano
Predicted Recruiting Compensation: Start of the 4th round (approx. Pick 50)

North Melbourne Expansion Losses (3)
Jamie Stanton, Alison Drennan, Courteney Munn
Predicted Recruiting Compensation: Start of the 3rd round (approx. Pick 34)

Western Bulldogs Expansion Losses (4)
Katie Brennan, Tiarna Ernst, Selena Karlson, Belinda Smith
Predicted Recruiting Compensation: Start of the 2nd round (approx. Pick 18)

For context - Geelong 2018 Expansion Signings (7)
Melissa Hickey, Phoebe McWilliams, Richelle Cranston, Aasta O’Connor, Madeleine Boyd, Erin Hoare, Anna Teague
2018 Recruiting Compensation: Pick 1, Pick 2, Pick 15

St Kilda Expansion Signings (8)
Nat Exon, Cat Phillips, Darcy Guttridge, Alison Drennan, Jess Sedunary, Courteney Munn, Selena Karlson, Rhiannon Watt
Predicted Recruiting Compensation: approx. Pick 1, Pick 3, Pick 35

Richmond Expansion Signings (5)
Katie Brennan, Christina Bernardi, Iilish Ross, Phoebe Monahan, Maddy Brancatisano
Predicted Recruiting Compensation: approx. Pick 2, Pick 19

I've already talked about how Richmond should be able to get the Conti trade done via a straight swap for that speculative #2 pick. But I should add that Collingwood would hope it happens in such a fashion as much as anybody, because then Carlton don't really have a leg to stand on and ask for more in the Davey trade.

These compo projections, if accurate, could also help get Libby Birch to the Demons. They won't want to hand over their first-rounder, but the Bulldogs will want more than a second-rounder, and both clubs would be justified with those positions. A credible compromise would be if the Dees give up Picks 8 and 24 while the Dogs give up Pick 18 and Birch. Part of the enticement for Melbourne there would be the likelihood in some or all of picks 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 not being used on Vic Metro players, so 8 down to 18 won't be as big a downgrade as it seems.

Having earlier mentioned the possibility of an overloaded Melbourne backline, it got me thinking about how Frawley and Lake as surplus to the Hawks' Gibson, Burgoyne, Hodge, Birchall etc wasn't such a burden after all. And right now it does feel to me like Melbourne's AFLW team has just gone through that 2010-12 Hawthorn pre-dominance era.

So collingwood win 1 game

Get severely under compensated last year and this year lose 2 more young high draft picks and don't get pick 1
Lol

You under estimate

My understanding is that the Dees won't be able to do this, as they have already used their second round draft pick (I'm reading Pick 24 as their second rounder). When Daisy Pearce went on the inactive list last year Melbourne called up Casey Sherriff as her replacement. Apparently they have the option, which they will exercise, to retain Sherriff in place of their second round pick and not have it count towards their "22".

Maybe it will be the first rounder, plus one of the currently unsigned but not yet delisted players, for Birch and 18?

It's a bit of a joke at present
8 teams in 1 state
I team in a state and territory (heavily afl funded) and very obvious that not all clubs are playing within the rules

To level it all up
Collingwood receive 3 picks in first 20
Dogs same
Saints same
Dees same
North 2
Blues 2
Cats 2
Tigers 2

Really if fair dinkum
Therefore
Pies
Dogs
Saints
Dees
Dogs
Saints
Pies
Dees
Cats
Roos
Blues
Tigers
Saints

Dogs need adequate compensation
Pies need adequate compensation

Last season was a disaster

So collingwood win 1 game

Get severely under compensated last year and this year lose 2 more young high draft picks and don't get pick 1
Lol

You under estimate
Are we talking about what's expected to happen, what should happen, or what you want to have happen?

Your previous statements on this issue, like bringing up Stevens/Eva/Bernardi as examples of Collingwood not getting fair compensation (even though the Pies traded those players and got great deals for them), are all too revealing.

My advice is to expect that 4th round compensation, and then be pleasantly surprised if it comes out any better. Or don't worry about it at all, and just rejoice in the fact that a top player like Bri Davey wants to come to your club... which btw also flies in the face of the ridiculous AFLW Is Anti-Collingwood theory.

My understanding is that the Dees won't be able to do this, as they have already used their second round draft pick (I'm reading Pick 24 as their second rounder). When Daisy Pearce went on the inactive list last year Melbourne called up Casey Sherriff as her replacement. Apparently they have the option, which they will exercise, to retain Sherriff in place of their second round pick and not have it count towards their "22".

Maybe it will be the first rounder, plus one of the currently unsigned but not yet delisted players, for Birch and 18?
Aw man there's always a catch isn't there, lol. Well Melbourne (and to a lesser extent other clubs) are best poised to judge, but given Sherriff didn't break into the best 21 this season I wonder if a second-rounder might be overs. Reckon they could wait until later in the draft and still get her, it'd be risky though.

I suppose another possibility is they get a second-rounder from somebody else (for instance they might trade their 3rd and 4th rounders for Geelong's 2nd and 5th--the Cats did a similar thing last year to help GWS out of a pickle).

Aw man there's always a catch isn't there, lol. Well Melbourne (and to a lesser extent other clubs) are best poised to judge, but given Sherriff didn't break into the best 21 this season I wonder if a second-rounder might be overs. Reckon they could wait until later in the draft and still get her, it'd be risky though.

I suppose another possibility is they get a second-rounder from somebody else (for instance they might trade their 3rd and 4th rounders for Geelong's 2nd and 5th--the Cats did a similar thing last year to help GWS out of a pickle).

LOL. Yes, there are always catches and usually a way around them. And I agree with your comments re Sherriff v a second rounder, but as you also say the clubs should know best. I wonder how much the Conti to Richmond deal will get in the way of the Libby Birch deal, I'm guessing the first will be more of a focus for the Doggies. Then again (and I'm getting off topic here), I'd assumed that as the Conti deal hadn't been done by 2:00pm last Thursday that was it, as expansion clubs weren't permitted to take part in the second trade period. But this is the AFL making the rules we're talking about here...:rolleyes:

Then again (and I'm getting off topic here), I'd assumed that as the Conti deal hadn't been done by 2:00pm last Thursday that was it, as expansion clubs weren't permitted to take part in the second trade period. But this is the AFL making the rules we're talking about here...:rolleyes:
Yeah I didn't know if there was originally a miscommunication or if they changed their minds about how the 2nd trade period would work. Sarah Black's article two weeks ago stated the expansion clubs can't participate, but then tweeted on Friday she was 99% sure they can participate. That is a considerable backflip, but not big enough to suggest her information came clearly and directly from an AFL source in both cases (if it did, why the need for 1% uncertainty?).

Sorry apologies apparently my last post was too offensive but still I don't get why the Suns would get anything for players that the Lions trade and the Lions would get the deluded part of a trade
RedmanWasHere the following changes can be included in post #2:

St Kilda
Courteney Munn (North Melbourne)
Jess Sedunary (Adelaide)
Cat Phillips (Melbourne)

West Coast
Alicia Janz (Fremantle)
Kellie Gibson (Fremantle)

Question is what's more important to the league: ensuring Brisbane get fair trade value, or ensuring the Queensland talent is split evenly between the two AFLW clubs there. If it's the latter, they might combat it this year with compensation picks for the Suns.

The course of action I'd like to see taken in the future would involve the use of three-way trades. Taking your example: Lions would send their wantaway player to the Pies, Pies would send pick 4 to the Suns, Suns would send something* to the Lions.

*player(s) already based in Queensland and/or later pick upgrade(s)

Sorry apologies apparently that was too offensive but still I don't get why the Suns would get anything for players that the Lions trade and the Lions would get the deluded part of a trade
Ask yourself how you'll react when Brisbane have multiple draft picks downgraded because of trades between the Gold Coast and another team. If you can honestly claim you'd just say "oh well, bad luck" and move on, then fair enough. It won't be an issue if both the Lions and Suns see it that way too.

EDIT: Another reason why it isn't just a "poor Suns" matter is because the exact same situation applies to Western Australia clubs.

Last edited:
Don't know why posters above reckon Richmond's haul was stronger than the Saints. I know our first rounder will be used for Conti and rightfully so, but the Saints got a full 3 more seasoned recruits than us. Plus Brancatisano is completely unproven. I said last year and I still believe the AFL should award expansion clubs picks in the first three rounds to get them up to 12-14 strong players (including expansion players) then let them do the rest of the work themselves.

Don't know why posters above reckon Richmond's haul was stronger than the Saints. I know our first rounder will be used for Conti and rightfully so, but the Saints got a full 3 more seasoned recruits than us. Plus Brancatisano is completely unproven. I said last year and I still believe the AFL should award expansion clubs picks in the first three rounds to get them up to 12-14 strong players (including expansion players) then let them do the rest of the work themselves.
Should be interesting. Using the ill-fated points system (in which players at their existing clubs would receive a value between 10 and 50) I estimate Richmond's 5 and St Kilda's 8 expansion signings add up to 140 points each. My thinking is the Saints will get two picks at the top like the Cats did because neither snared an absolute star of Brennan's calibre (closest they got were Exon who is good, and Hickey who is very good but was also very injured). True KB hasn't been AA but put her in the next draft and she'd go #1.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW List Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back