List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

In an eyebrow-raising development, Port Adelaide ruckman Ivan Soldo could be on his way out of Alberton just one year after his arrival. Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph reports Soldo is ‘keen’ to make his way to St Kilda in October, despite being contracted at Port through next season.

In an eyebrow-raising development, Port Adelaide ruckman Ivan Soldo could be on his way out of Alberton just one year after his arrival. Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph reports Soldo is ‘keen’ to make his way to St Kilda in October, despite being contracted at Port through next season.
The brow raising in question:

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

We need to rebuild our forward line. Whatever the outcome of delistings and retirements, we can no longer build our forward line around Dixon and Marshall. That much is obvious.

We can build a forward line around Lukosius and Georgiades. Powell-Pepper, Rioli and Richards would add to that but we still need another classy goal scorer. The two teams that really towelled us up this year had multiple small goal kicking options- Miers, Stengle, Mannagh, Close (and these guys are lining up to take Jack Martin) on the one hand and Rayner, AhChee, Charlie Cameron, Kai Lohmann (with McCarthy injured) on the other.

If we want to take the next step we need more than just Lukosius, Richards and a returning SPP.

If we trade Soldo to the aints can we look forward after he plays 1 or 2 decent games for them to his sister calling out in the rooms after the game `What do you think now (Richmond) Port?' before he injures his knee again ends up in their magoos, and then disappears from sight? :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As of about 2-3 weeks ago, he was flat out told (in simple terms) that they couldn't guarantee he'll be there next year. He personally believes if Hinkley isn't retained he will be gone.
Is retained or isn’t?

If we trade Soldo to the aints can we look forward after he plays 1 or 2 decent games for them to his sister calling out in the rooms after the game `What do you think now (Richmond) Port?' before he injures his knee again ends up in their magoos, and then disappears from sight? :rolleyes:

It was pretty funny at the time though :D

I assume the plan would be Marshall forward with soldo as ruck

Good luck to him

You're right, but these things have a way of not working out.

Pretty sure we wanted to play Paddy Ryder as a key forward but he was just too good a ruck not to play there.

Ummm…he’s far better than both of these soon to be delisted players.

However, it sounds like Perryman & Richard’s are both getting cold feet. You can’t blame them, I’d be doing the same thing if I was in their shoes.
Richards was always a long shot where he used us to get a better offer from the Pies.
Where the Pies are now throwing the proverbial sink at the Perryman (to take him to the other side).

I'd be a bit disappointed if we didn't land Richards just because he fills a big need - if he isn't a star.

Couldn't really care less about Cumming, he's not a need. Perryman is a good player, but wouldn't lose sleep over not getting him. Luko I'd only be a bit bummed about not landing if Marshall retires. So yeah, not so fussed about the player we have been linked with so far.

We desperately need a tall forward who is remotely capable of taking a contested mark, and I'd also like to see us pursue some KPD depth, even a Lewis Young just as someone you could have confidence of doing at least an ok job if AA or BZT go down with injury.

Luko is the only kf likely to make an impact for us available.

Ironically the next best option is already on our list. Soldo. I won’t say he’s a good kf, but he’s certainly no worse than what else is floating around there as options or hardly dwarfed by esava as an option.

Loldo

Not happy about losing number 1 ruck spot at Port but wants to go to St Kilda where he will be behind one of the best ruckman in the comp in Marshall.

Marshall is nowhere near the best ruck in the afl. I have zero issue facing him any week.

What he is , is saints current best kf by a country mile, and one of the best 2nd ruck kf in the league. Saints have preferred using him as a kf / 2nd ruck for years, probably the only thing they’ve gotten right.

Soldo makes sense for them cause he can play ruck, and is quite interchangeable in that he can go forward and take rowans place when he goes in ruck and be a pretty good stand in.

24 & 43 for Soldo 36

Yes

Is 24 realistic for soldo?

Probably not, but it’s the only thing we should trade him for.

We absolutely should front up to saints and say phillipou or pick 24 haven’t be on the table or there’s no deal. We have no issue if they won’t put them on the table, that’s their prerogative. But we shouldn’t be trading soldo unless they are, and make it clear we will walk away and hold him to his contract.

There’s zero reason why we HAVE to let soldo go while contracted other than acquiring talent coming the other way.

I don't think he would end up coming back. I can see him taking a part-time development role somewhere in Vic, while playing at least a season at Torquay.

I reckon he'll end up living on the Surf Coast. If I had **** off money, I probably would too.
Pies have offered Boak a Dev coach position (if he retires)

Luko is the only kf likely to make an impact for us available.

Ironically the next best option is already on our list. Soldo. I won’t say he’s a good kf, but he’s certainly no worse than what else is floating around there as options or hardly dwarfed by esava as an option.

Marshall is nowhere near the best ruck in the afl. I have zero issue facing him any week.

What he is , is saints current best kf by a country mile, and one of the best 2nd ruck kf in the league. Saints have preferred using him as a kf / 2nd ruck for years, probably the only thing they’ve gotten right.

Soldo makes sense for them cause he can play ruck, and is quite interchangeable in that he can go forward and take rowans place when he goes in ruck and be a pretty good stand in.

Yes

Is 24 realistic for soldo?

Probably not, but it’s the only thing we should trade him for.

We absolutely should front up to saints and say phillipou or pick 24 haven’t be on the table or there’s no deal. We have no issue if they won’t put them on the table, that’s their prerogative. But we shouldn’t be trading soldo unless they are, and make it clear we will walk away and hold him to his contract.

There’s zero reason why we HAVE to let soldo go while contracted other than acquiring talent coming the other way.

Soldo… A 28 year old, 3rd ruck, with bad knees for a 19 year old, highly rated midfielder…

Sure. Saints will take that every day…

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back