List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

We would be idiots to let Houston go for 1 pick, just too much risk that player flops when Houston is already an elite contracted irreplaceable player.

if, and I don’t buy that he’s going anywhere but if he did, we should be asking for multiple picks / players
In my opinion Pick 8 would be worth more than 2 later first round picks if we intended to trade for a player ourselves. At least we can then try and split the pick somehow so we could benefit from that.

In my opinion Pick 8 would be worth more than 2 later first round picks if we intended to trade for a player ourselves. At least we can then try and split the pick somehow so we could benefit from that.

Houston makes a half decent side a much better one.

2 firsts as a minimum or we have a contract and he stays. One of those 1st is a top 10 pick.

The second can be next year's and we can bundle it and talk to Gold Coast and they want to bank picks next year and give up a decent pick this year they don't need.

You asked if it had ever happened, I gave an example of when it did. I didn't say it happened all the time. No need to get snarky.

Contracted players having their requests to go home denied entirely does happen all the time though. Tim Kelly, Bryce Gibbs and Orazio Fantasia on their first attempts are another few I've thought of since my first post.

Josh Caddy and Tom Papley both had sick family members back home, their deals didn't get done. Tim Kelly had his trade request to go back to WA for greater family support for his autistic child denied.

And you know what? All those players probably would have gotten home if they'd been willing to agree to go to a club other than their first choice. IIRC Geelong in particular said that Freo had made an offer for Kelly that they would have accepted.

You'd presumably know more about why Houston might want to go home than me, but if his reason is good enough, maybe he should be smarter about it than the ones who came before him.

Regardless of what either of us think, he's only going to request a single club if he requests a trade.

You've brought up a few that haven't gone through - plenty of others have though.

Odds are, if he requests a trade, it'll get done.

Chewy is the price that would be asked for Houston 2 x first round picks. Or if Melbourne maintained their current position would the pick 8 be enough?

The asking price will be 2 first rounders (or equivalent). I wouldn't think pick 8 in isolation would be enough.

It's not "to an extent" at all.

When has a player ever requested a trade and ended up being moved to a different club than they initially requested to move to? I can't think of a single example, and if it has happened it is on the absolute rarest of occasions.

Clubs know the price to get Houston - they're not going to offer him a mega deal and then offer Port magic beans given his contract status.

If it gets to the point that he requests a trade, a deal will get done.

Nick Stevens.

But yes very rare.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nick Stevens.

But yes very rare.

Wasn't contracted when he requested a trade so not an apples for apples comparison anyway.

Mind you, Port imo did the right thing letting him go to Carlton via the draft. Killed his career and was a line in the sand moment that clubs couldn't just walk over Port.

Regardless of what either of us think, he's only going to request a single club if he requests a trade.
I fully agree that the more likely outcomes would be he gets to his club of choice or stays here, but there's a first time for everything, and if Houston truly is desperate to get back to Victoria for family reasons it's entirely feasible that he could decide that playing for his second choice Melbourne club is a better result for him than playing in SA again next year.

When Tim Kelly played the sympathy card to try to force a trade back to WA but then refused a trade that would have gotten him to Freo, I thought he was acting like a massive dickhead. Maybe Houston is less of a dickhead.

I fully agree that the more likely outcomes would be he gets to his club of choice or stays here, but there's a first time for everything, and if Houston truly is desperate to get back to Victoria for family reasons it's entirely feasible that he could decide that playing for his second choice Melbourne club is a better result for him than playing in SA again next year.

When Tim Kelly played the sympathy card to try to force a trade back to WA but then refused a trade that would have gotten him to Freo, I thought he was acting like a massive dickhead. Maybe Houston is less of a dickhead.

It's a massive problem with the trading system in general.

I have long thought that if a player is contracted and wants a trade to a particular state, the team trading said player is effectively trading the contract, and thus they could trade to any Club in that state provided the team trading for the player can take on the conditions of the player's current contract.

This is similar to how trades work in US sports, albeit, it would still give players significant flexibility to get to their desired geographical location - not necessarily their preferred team though.

Right now the current system works in such a way that if a player is traded they sign a completely new contract with their new team, rendering the conditions of their former contract useless. So you get players requesting trades for "family reasons" all the while they're getting a nice bump in pay to go home. It's bullshit.

The players have way too much control when it comes to player movement and I suspect the clubs are going to dig their heels in a bit more during the next CBA negotiations.

Wasn't contracted when he requested a trade so not an apples for apples comparison anyway.

Mind you, Port imo did the right thing letting him go to Carlton via the draft. Killed his career and was a line in the sand moment that clubs couldn't just walk over Port.
Agreed. Plus didn't improve Collingwood

That's not say he's irredeemable, he has talent, but right now there's no more reason to be confident in 2025 Luko than there is in 2025 Marshall. Except at least Marshall actually has had a good year at one point.
Marshall's best season is 45.15 in 2022. Last year Lukosius kicked 39.22
Todd took 114 marks in 2022, Lukosius took 140 in 2023.

I'm not a fan of getting players involved in a trade like Houston's. It just muddies the waters. Two first round picks, at least one early.

If Melbourne get Adelaide's pick for Oliver, I'll have that and they can split their first round pick and give us one.

If Pickett does get inserted into the deal, I would still want at least an early second rounder. We're the ones that can walk away from this deal, Melbourne aren't.

People here complain about Port's trading, but are giving up immediately themselves.

I'm not a fan of getting players involved in a trade like Houston's. It just muddies the waters. Two first round picks, at least one early.

If Melbourne get Adelaide's pick for Oliver, I'll have that and they can split their first round pick and give us one.

If Pickett does get inserted into the deal, I would still want at least an early second rounder. We're the ones that can walk away from this deal, Melbourne aren't.

People here complain about Port's trading, but are giving up immediately themselves.
You're thinking small. It doesn't muddy the waters at all.

We have a desired asset and if we can we should try to get even more out of the deal with other extraneous parts.

Now, you don't want to mess up two first rounders but you never know what can happen.

As they say, all you can do is ask as you negotiate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're thinking small. It doesn't muddy the waters at all.

We have a desired asset and if we can we should try to get even more out of the deal with other extraneous parts.

Now, you don't want to mess up two first rounders but you never know what can happen.

As they say, all you can do is ask as you negotiate.

I'm not thinking small in the slightest.

I see people here saying we would have to add something to Houston to get Pickett. I'm saying we should get extra.

But I stand by my original point, I would rather start out with the two first round picks because adding the variable of another contracted player does muddy the waters as clubs try to comparatively value the two.

You can see it just among supporters in this thread.

You only have to look at the divergence of opinion on the Duursma/BZT trade.

Yeah, we are basically agreeing.

Definitely start with two firsts but be open to adding and getting more, three ways, four ways, etc.

I'm hopeful Benny Barrett could become one of those zippy small forwards that Hawthorn have, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Pickett getting into the conversation.

I'm hopeful Benny Barrett could become one of those zippy small forwards that Hawthorn have, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Pickett getting into the conversation.
I'm all in on Benny.

I love Choppy Jr.

We definitely need a restock of our general forwards.

Rioli is going to be a youngish 30 next year.

I was a big fan of olli hotton in his draft year. I think he got drafted with a significant injury and has had a few injuries since. He's out of contract and hadnt managed an afl game yet. He's a classy mid forward who can tackle. He would be very cheap and could fill a role with lots of upside.

Charlie Dixon never really got better statistically from his Gold Coast days, despite Gold Coast being the worst side in the league for the entire time he was there.

I'd absolutely take Luko if we could get him affordably but once we're finally free from Hinkley I don't really see much difference between him and Marshall apart from the premium we'd be required to pay.

I was a big fan of olli hotton in his draft year. I think he got drafted with a significant injury and has had a few injuries since. He's out of contract and hadnt managed an afl game yet. He's a classy mid forward who can tackle. He would be very cheap and could fill a role with lots of upside.
Feel bad for the Hotton family. His younger brother was having an amazing year until he did his ACL. If we get a pick in the mid-first round, he would be in our consideration this year I'd have thought

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back