List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to plan for a genuinely good big-bodied mid behind Ollie Wines. We don't have another midfielder like him who plants his body over the ball and feeds it out to the star ball movers.

Ollie has been huge the past couple of weeks, he disrupted Carlton's midfield with his strength and tackling, 10 clearances and 10 tackles last night.

If we get an early draft pick through trading, that player type has to be our #1 target because we have no one else like that.
It's a left field idea and one that perhaps requires him to improve his fitness. But Lachie Jones has the size to become the replacement for Wines long term. He's still relatively young. And he already has the frame for it and I think the contested work would suit him more than the HB role

I feel like we have this conversation every year.

Contracted or uncontacted, if a player wants to leave, they can dictate where they go because players cannot be traded to a team against their will.
Uncontracted yes. Contracted, to an extent. But if Houston nominates a club and that club doesn't cough up what we want, we do have the option of keeping him. And if Houston really does want to go back for 'family reasons' as you've hinted, he might decide he'd rather play for his second choice Melbourne club next year than remain stuck in SA if those are his only choices.

Not in a vacuum. But I think if you can get Perryman as a free agent, the collective of Perryman, Pickett and change brings more balance to the team as a collective.
Yes I do agree with you getting Perryman pushes us well into positive territory as a collective.

What I would be more inclined to want, is to get a pick(s) that we could turn into Lukosious plus a late 2nd Round pick. That would give us the scope to get 2 "decent midfielders" in this draft. Hopefully 1/2 2nd Round mids will turn into a first 22. If we are able to get Perryman too then that's a bonus.

That would turn our forward line into Marshall, Georgiades, Lukosius.

Finlayson, Lord, Scully surplus SANFL

Last edited:

Lukosius has been worse than Marshall this year and Marshall is having the worst year of his career.
He's playing second banana in a team that has pretty much the worst kicking midfield in the league. All the while being moved from defence to attack. He is quality and in a better team, would be better.

He's playing second banana in a team that has pretty much the worst kicking midfield in the league. All the while being moved from defence to attack. He is quality and in a better team, would be better.
Have you actually watched him play this year? Not sure I've ever seen a forward drop more uncontested marks than Luko has this year, you can't blame 'the worst kicking midfield in the league' or 'moving from defence to attack for that'. And I say this as somebody who was his biggest fan a few years ago.

That's not say he's irredeemable, he has talent, but right now there's no more reason to be confident in 2025 Luko than there is in 2025 Marshall. Except at least Marshall actually has had a good year at one point.

Get ready for an unpopular opinion.

Losing Houston and getting Pickett as a direct swap doesn't make us better.

While keeping Houston and losing Hinkley does make us better.

I don’t get why everyone wants to throw massive money at Pickett.

Great player, but forward pockets are the cream of a premiership team, not the back bone. Don’t over pay them.

Great player, but forward pockets are the cream of a premiership team, not the back bone. Don’t over pay them.
He would be the cream in our team too though. He is the best mix of defensive intent and offensive flair in the league. Would make us so much better.

Uncontracted yes. Contracted, to an extent. But if Houston nominates a club and that club doesn't cough up what we want, we do have the option of keeping him. And if Houston really does want to go back for 'family reasons' as you've hinted, he might decide he'd rather play for his second choice Melbourne club next year than remain stuck in SA if those are his only choices.

It's not "to an extent" at all.

When has a player ever requested a trade and ended up being moved to a different club than they initially requested to move to? I can't think of a single example, and if it has happened it is on the absolute rarest of occasions.

Clubs know the price to get Houston - they're not going to offer him a mega deal and then offer Port magic beans given his contract status.

If it gets to the point that he requests a trade, a deal will get done.

It's not "to an extent" at all.

When has a player ever requested a trade and ended up being moved to a different club than they initially requested to move to?
Mitch Clark. Didn't even end up in the same state. https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/dockers-stunned-as-clark-opts-for-demons-ng-ya-146845.amp

But the far more common example is a contracted player requesting a trade, nominating a club, that club not satisfying the original club's trade demands, and the original club just keeps him. Caddy to Essendon, Daniher to Sydney, Papley to Carlton just off the top of my head. Himmelberg requested a trade from the Crows last year and didn't get one. We didn't get Esava the first time around. Happens all the time.
If it gets to the point that he requests a trade, a deal will get done.
Maybe. Maybe not. Deals regularly don't get done.

I like Pickett but in my opinion he's a chaos player. In my opinion I'd sooner have a quality tall forward than a quality small forward unless you're Robbie Gray. But I'm biased I was a tall forward.

We can get better small forwards than what we've got without breaking the bank or losing one of our best players for him.

Marshall or Lukocious?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you actually watched him play this year? Not sure I've ever seen a forward drop more uncontested marks than Luko has this year, you can't blame 'the worst kicking midfield in the league' or 'moving from defence to attack for that'. And I say this as somebody who was his biggest fan a few years ago.

That's not say he's irredeemable, he has talent, but right now there's no more reason to be confident in 2025 Luko than there is in 2025 Marshall. Except at least Marshall actually has had a good year at one point.
Get Jack Watts vibes.

Would love him at Port on the Cheap though.

I thought the same about Bobby Hill, then at Collingwood he is one of the best three small Forwards in the comp and provides spark and class going forward for them that just makes opposition teams piss.

I thought the same about Bobby Hill, then at Collingwood he is one of the best three small Forwards in the comp and provides spark and class going forward for them that just makes opposition teams piss.
I would argue Collingwood have 4 very good small forwards. Port have 1.

Not many teams have small one-on-one defenders, let alone 4 of them. If Hill doesn’t get you, then Elliott will.

Mitch Clark. Didn't even end up in the same state. https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/dockers-stunned-as-clark-opts-for-demons-ng-ya-146845.amp

But the far more common example is a contracted player requesting a trade, nominating a club, that club not satisfying the original club's trade demands, and the original club just keeps him. Caddy to Essendon, Daniher to Sydney, Papley to Carlton just off the top of my head. Himmelberg requested a trade from the Crows last year and didn't get one. We didn't get Esava the first time around. Happens all the time.

Maybe. Maybe not. Deals regularly don't get done.

So you're looking at an isolated incident that happened 13 years ago and trying to apply that to a completely different situation? Got it 👍

See plenty of players request trades that don't go through when contracted. At the same time, I'm sure if you took a closer look, that if a player requested a trade for personal/family reasons, the percentage of those trades going through (despite being contracted) would be significantly higher.

I would argue Collingwood have 4 very good small forwards. Port have 1.

Not many teams have small one-on-one defenders, let alone 4 of them. If Hill doesn’t get you, then Elliott will.
Elliott don’t link mid to forward entry though, Kossie does. He has moved to play spurts on the Pill this year.

Riolli, SPP, Picket would be a handy forward mix with Butters/Rozee and JHF/Mead. As the others.

So you're looking at an isolated incident that happened 13 years ago and trying to apply that to a completely different situation? Got it
You asked if it had ever happened, I gave an example of when it did. I didn't say it happened all the time. No need to get snarky.

Contracted players having their requests to go home denied entirely does happen all the time though. Tim Kelly, Bryce Gibbs and Orazio Fantasia on their first attempts are another few I've thought of since my first post.

See plenty of players request trades that don't go through when contracted. At the same time, I'm sure if you took a closer look, that if a player requested a trade for personal/family reasons, the percentage of those trades going through (despite being contracted) would be significantly higher.
Josh Caddy and Tom Papley both had sick family members back home, their deals didn't get done. Tim Kelly had his trade request to go back to WA for greater family support for his autistic child denied.

And you know what? All those players probably would have gotten home if they'd been willing to agree to go to a club other than their first choice. IIRC Geelong in particular said that Freo had made an offer for Kelly that they would have accepted.

You'd presumably know more about why Houston might want to go home than me, but if his reason is good enough, maybe he should be smarter about it than the ones who came before him.

I guess a hypothetical could be:

Adelaide trade their first rounder to Melbourne for Oliver

Melbourne trade Adelaide's first rounder to us for Houston

Would you

a) Keep the first rounder to draft Draper
b) Trade the first rounder back to Adelaide for Rachele

(It's just a hypothetical, so assume all the dominoes could fall this way)

a) or b) ?

I don’t believe Draper would be available. I can’t read west coasts mind but their needs are a centre square mid, ideally explosive one, and given the choice between a Victorian private school boy and a south Aussie they’ll take the Sa kid I think. Besides the fact Drapers form is rocketing up right now.

It's a left field idea and one that perhaps requires him to improve his fitness. But Lachie Jones has the size to become the replacement for Wines long term. He's still relatively young. And he already has the frame for it and I think the contested work would suit him more than the HB role

Jones is far too fumbly to play on ball at afl level imo. It’s the same problem that will trouble him everywhere. Mids really need to be clean tho.

Clubs know the price to get Houston - they're not going to offer him a mega deal and then offer Port magic beans given his contract status.

I would say this applies to every club bar port, where clubs have shown they’re more then willing to go to the wall with us knowing we’re likely to fold.

Chewy is the price that would be asked for Houston 2 x first round picks. Or if Melbourne maintained their current position would the pick 8 be enough?

We would be idiots to let Houston go for 1 pick, just too much risk that player flops when Houston is already an elite contracted irreplaceable player.

if, and I don’t buy that he’s going anywhere but if he did, we should be asking for multiple picks / players.

No it's a different athletic ablity.

An ultra fit Lachie wouldn't be stronger. He'd probably be more sound and better endurance but not a midfield Beast.

You are born with that strength and you maximise it though training and conditioning but you don't create what Ollie has. (Legally)

I think as an occasional shock tactic sure, but he's not a mid. I would rather he focused on his ball-handling and decision-making as a rebounding defender. He has pace and a long kick that makes him a good attacking option from defence, and he puts the frighteners on when he attacks the body.

As Rowie said after the crows crashed and burned today, their midfielders are plodders and midfields win flags. We have a terrific young midfield group, but I would like to see us add another top shelf young mid via the draft if we get the chance to back up Wines and maybe even as a plan for Butters.

Elliott don’t link mid to forward entry though, Kossie does. He has moved to play spurts on the Pill this year.

Riolli, SPP, Picket would be a handy forward mix with Butters/Rozee and JHF/Mead. As the others.
I don’t doubt that Pickett would make Port a better team, but if you’re throwing $1m plus at him what are you giving up?

Houston would only be the start.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back