List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie Dixon never really got better statistically from his Gold Coast days, despite Gold Coast being the worst side in the league for the entire time he was there.

I'd absolutely take Luko if we could get him affordably but once we're finally free from Hinkley I don't really see much difference between him and Marshall apart from the premium we'd be required to pay.
How often do established players really statistically improve when moving to new clubs? The general rule is that you may get a marginal bump in performance by playing them in a slightly different role, but it's pretty rare to see an established player take their game to another level when moving clubs.

Charlie Cameron might be one who is/was similar given he was early 20s when he shifted and had a boost moving to a new club. Jay Schulz is another. But I'd say they are some of the very few exceptions to the rule.

If we were to trade Houston for a nice draft haul and get Perryman and or Cummings in, apart from Pickett is there any Melbourne players you think we could be interested in?

Couple I think could be Bailey Laurie can play as a small def or fwd with nice pace, Kade Chandler, small fwd/wing and Blake Howes. Would all fill a bit of a need IMO, would only be steak knives type of stuff

If we were to trade Houston for a nice draft haul and get Perryman and or Cummings in, apart from Pickett is there any Melbourne players you think we could be interested in?

Couple I think could be Bailey Laurie can play as a small def or fwd with nice pace, Kade Chandler, small fwd/wing and Blake Howes. Would all fill a bit of a need IMO, would only be steak knives type of stuff

What's the point of diluting our trade hand with the type of player we can get from within our own ranks?

Nope, take the picks. If he makes All-Australian again, I'd demand a top 5 picks plus another top 15 pick. I was very open to idea of Pickett initially but now I'm less convinced about it. Took a look at his stats for the season and he's "above average" in most categories. Get a feeling if we traded for him as part of Houston, Demons would demand a straight swap which isn't fair imo. Plus we might be getting a version of Pickett in Barrett albeit still very raw.

And as for the demons players you mentioned, would almost rather we throw a late pick or something at blokes like Corey Durdin or Jacob Konstanty and see if their clubs bite.

Nope, take the picks. If he makes All-Australian again, I'd demand a top 5 picks plus another top 15 pick. I was very open to idea of Pickett initially but now I'm less convinced about it. Took a look at his stats for the season and he's "above average" in most categories. Get a feeling if we traded for him as part of Houston, Demons would demand a straight swap which isn't fair imo. Plus we might be getting a version of Pickett in Barrett albeit still very raw.

And as for the demons players you mentioned, would almost rather we throw a late pick or something at blokes like Corey Durdin or Jacob Konstanty and see if their clubs bite.
I doubt that Melbourne would even offer a straight swap because in their position is they want Houston to get better, but their real issue is their forward line. So by losing Pickett in their mind they are making a deficiency worse by trading Pickett out. Even though Houston is the better player at this stage.

I doubt that Melbourne would even offer a straight swap because in their position is they want Houston to get better, but their real issue is their forward line. So by losing Pickett in their mind they are making a deficiency worse by trading Pickett out. Even though Houston is the better player at this stage.
That maybe the case, my POV was more that I think if we asked for Pickett, the best offer they'd give us is a straight swap which still isnt good enough for us imo.

We are still waiting for Kozzie to have his "breakout year" and he's been in the system for 5 years now? There's obviously some class but I am not trading out an All-Australian for someone who hasn't put it together for a full year. Also account for the additional suspensions he'll cop as a Port player

So they offer unders because Houston is worth less to them than Pickett despite being the better player. Sounds like someone thinks they're trading with Port :grin:

I want him now dammit.

I'm probably wrong, but my perception is that those nippy small forward generally have a sweet spot after they burst onto the scene and cause defenders havok for a few years, and only the really good ones go on to have the same impact later into their twenties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Houston for Kozzie, Bergman for Wanganeen-Milera - are we a better side?
Not immediately, maybe in 2 years. Even if NWM replaces Houston which I think in the long term he could, I dont think we'll be able to find a Bergman-esque player that can play on small and tall forwards.

I'd argue that, if we swapped Houston for NWM and steak knives in some way (maybe not directly) and kept Bergman, we'd be a better side. Kozzie's inconsistency is unattractive. We have enough of that anyways.

While we are at it, book an additional seat on the plane. We can trade Butters for Phillipou and another top 5.

Houston, Bergman, Butters for Kozzie, NWM, Phillipou and top 5 pick. Oh the hypothetical world.

P.S its a joke, I'd never sell Bergman and Butters (unless they want to go obviously). The only deal I'd do is Houston for 2 first rounders (one of them top 10) or NWM and something.

That's a really, really good question.

The issue here imo is that Bergman is such a unique player in that he can defend small forwards right through medium sized KPFs. NWM is going to be a great player but he's an attacking HBF who's not going to offer much defensively.

I am not fussed getting rid of Houston if they can get 2 first round picks. I wouldn't mind an iteration of Houston deal being Houston and a 2nd for Kozzie and a 1st.

I really don't want to lose Bergman any time soon. I think he has All-Australian potential in the backline as a lockdown defender.

That's a really, really good question.

The issue here imo is that Bergman is such a unique player in that he can defend small forwards right through medium sized KPFs. NWM is going to be a great player but he's an attacking HBF who's not going to offer much defensively.

I am not fussed getting rid of Houston if they can get 2 first round picks. I wouldn't mind an iteration of Houston deal being Houston and a 2nd for Kozzie and a 1st.

I really don't want to lose Bergman any time soon. I think he has All-Australian potential in the backline as a lockdown defender.
Exactly my point. Flipping Houston for NWM would be a win in the long term for us. Ideally we should be asking another 2nd round pick given Houston has 3 years left on his contract while NWM has 1. Bergman is a unique player that can play a variety of roles and perhaps other than Tom Stewart, I can think of anyone else that can play a role like him.

Tbh I think Bergman impact up forward too but we haven't really tried that.

I think Bergman is most comfortable playing on players bigger than him. Hasn’t shown a heap of intercepting intent like Stewart. Not sure he can play on the quicker agile forwards he is terrible below his knees. His strength is 1 on 1s against bigger opponents.

Houston, Bergman, Butters
Probably best to accept now it's a real chance they all leave. The big offers will come from more successful clubs with much clearer directions. It's one reason why I think it's crucial we have a new coach in place before next season.

They're all contracted for next season, so if a new coach takes over and reinvigorates the group - perhaps they even win a knock out final for the first time in their careers - that may well convince (some of) them stay.

If we roll on with Ken in 2025 who everyone knows in January is out the door around August, then I think we've lost the chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back