List of Trade/Free Agency Rumours 2014 (READ OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

we would have to part with more than a 2nd for day easily.

as for stanley. im not a fan. he averaged 1 goal and 8 hitouts a game in 2014. i know he is still on the young side but he hasnt been held back by injury , or a lack of opportunity. he just has no game sense.

port has lobbe (ruck) redden (ruck) trengove (197cm defender/ruck) westhoff (198cm forward/flanker/bit part ruck) mason shaw (197cm kf) harvey (197cm kf) and butch (197cm kf)

now i understand port is shallow in depth of genuine rucks after lobbe and redden , and we have a wealth of decentish bit part rucks. i dont see the point in bringing in a ruck unless he is gonna be close to as good a ruck or better than lobbe , or a better forward than shaw would give us next year and not far off of trengove ruck wise.

would be silly to add another into a logjam unless they stand out.

ryder makes sense for port as he is an outstanding 2nd ruck and average but decent forward. ryder would be an upgrade on trengove (who is actually a pretty good 2nd ruck in bursts) and still give us something up forward.

rhys stanley would not be an significant ruck upgrade on trengove , and i dont believe he would be any better up forward than one of our young up and comers mason shaw , butch or harvey would give us.

we would have to part with more than a 2nd for day easily.

as for stanley. im not a fan. he averaged 1 goal and 8 hitouts a game in 2014. i know he is still on the young side but he hasnt been held back by injury , or a lack of opportunity. he just has no game sense.

port has lobbe (ruck) redden (ruck) trengove (197cm defender/ruck) westhoff (198cm forward/flanker/bit part ruck) mason shaw (197cm kf) harvey (197cm kf) and butch (197cm kf)

now i understand port is shallow in depth of genuine rucks after lobbe and redden , and we have a wealth of decentish bit part rucks. i dont see the point in bringing in a ruck unless he is gonna be close to as good a ruck or better than lobbe , or a better forward than shaw would give us next year and not far off of trengove ruck wise.

would be silly to add another into a logjam unless they stand out.

ryder makes sense for port as he is an outstanding 2nd ruck and average but decent forward. ryder would be an upgrade on trengove (who is actually a pretty good 2nd ruck in bursts) and still give us something up forward.

rhys stanley would not be an significant ruck upgrade on trengove , and i dont believe he would be any better up forward than one of our young up and comers mason shaw , butch or harvey would give us.

Good analysis and I agree with you.

Just in regards to stanley though, he finished the year really well and looked like he'd finally found his feet at AFL level.
Whether he can continue that...who knows. But I think he's always going to better in 2015 than his 2014 stats show.

Stanley plays well when he gets to play Riewoldt's role, as shown in the game vs Fremantle. Too pushed up even further up the ground and Stanley played a more Riewoldt like game with 19 disposals, 14 marks and 3 goals. He has been inconsistent but I'm banking on him to step up next year (hopefully do something different like throw Riewoldt on a wing and let Stanley be the CHF and play his game). Has all the tools, just needs to get some confidence and start using them. Would be happy to keep him but if we get a good offer for him, then I'd be fine with that too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[QUdoOTE="philthy05, post: 35279960, member: 69005"]did anyone think geelong were a ruckman away from a flag
  • o_O
[/QUOTE]

I do.

Plus 4 midfielders, 2 key forwards and without 5 permanently injured players and 8 guys over 30.

Luke Lowden will be the difference next year !!!!!

Will Minson might be going to Geelong to chase a flag.
Lowden also linked to Geelong

We are developing a new strategy.put 10 rucks on our list because half of them are always injured anyway!

Haven't really seen Trengove in the ruck, but I think you're probably underestimating Rhys's ruckwork quite a bit there. He may not get a lot of hitouts, but what he does do is get a high % of centrebounce hitouts which go clearly to advantage, due to his huge leap (his leap is at Natanui/Ryder type levels). He puts them down the throat of the likes of Jack Steven and Armitage an awful lot, as they're running by him.

He also spends very little time in the ruck, generally (hence the low hitout numbers), as I think we made a decision a couple of years ago to try and protect his body from playing ruck as much as we could, hence going out and spending up reasonably big on Hickey, when we already had McEvoy and then getting Longer last year. So he hasn't spent much time at all in the ruck in the past two seasons. At the boundary throw-ins Rhys isn't much chop, as he gets outbodied reasonably easily, but in the centre bounces he is one of the best going around, thanks to his leap, hence Todd Goldstein saying a couple of months ago that Rhys is one of the best, or one of the most underestimated "back-up ruckmen" in the comp.

As for Rhys up forward, he plays by far his best footy up there when we are playing well. He is not the sort who will take games by the scruff of the neck and take lots of contested marks if his team is getting well beaten, but what he will do when his team is playing well is take a lot of marks leading up the ground, due to the fact that no-one is likely to keep up with him on the long leads. Hence him playing pretty decently in our first 6 games this year, when we won 3 games and lost another by 3 points (his best game in that period was his 21 possie, 13 mark, 7 inside-50's, 7 hitout game v Essendon). He then struggled when we started to struggle, due to the ball coming down much less and the delivery generally being so poor when it did (everyone saw the sort of service Riewoldt was getting, well it wasn't any different for Rhys!), but then when we played our only other good game for the year (when we smashed Freo) it was no surprise that he played another really good game, the one when he had 19 disposals, 14 marks (3 contested), kicked 3 goals 2, had 13 hitouts and got the 2 Brownlow votes.

That game and his ones earlier in the year showed what he is capable of when his team is playing well, the ball is coming down frequently and the delivery is good, so if he were to go to a top 4 type team next year I would expect much more of the good Rhys than the poor Rhys, especially as he's now entering the prime sort of years for someone his size and shape and given the fact he'll likely get a lot of confidence from his improved year this year and the fact he didn't get injured.

He isn't likely to dominate games, or anything like that, but he would just quietly go about racking up marks on the lead and winning hitouts to advantage and doing 55-60m bullett passes into the forward 50 and be well worth having in the 18, playing his role.

Last edited:
Last edited:
St Kilda might be interested in Jaksch, but Jaksch isn't interested in St Kilda.

Several notes from this article
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...gue-begins-20140923-10l124.html#ixzz3E8NTYWZm

North Melbourne interested in Lumumba.
North, Port and Carlton all rumoured to be going after Liam Jones.
Hawks join race for O'Rourke.
St Kilda interested in Jaksch.
Geelong enquire Port Adelaide about Ben Newton.

It mentioned North AND West Coast as interested in Lumumba, along with Melbourne. Competition for his services can only be good for us.

It mentioned North AND West Coast as interested in Lumumba, along with Melbourne. Competition for his services can only be good for us.
Yep, West Coasts interest in Lumumba was already in the OP. I must have read something about it a week ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

List of Trade/Free Agency Rumours 2014 (READ OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back