List your GF '08 Lessons here

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if this is exactly on topic but it what I've learned....

1. There is no need for drastic knee-jerk reactions after all we do have a fantastic list of players

2. The players are going to be devastated and shocked at their display today

3. We would have won if we kicked straight and took our chances, I have no doubt

4. The only thing that needs to happen is recovering and refocusing

5. We still do have the "premiership attitude" and we know how to win

6. We won't have to wait another 44 years for a flag- BOOKMARK IT

7. Redemption in 09

But most of all KEEP THE FAITH
For as Tom Harley said 'WE ARE GEELONG'

Go hard at the ball when it is one the ground, Hawks did that today, showed they wanted it more from the start. Great work from the Hawks congratulations on a fantastic win...

PS why did Stuey Dew get Booed when collecting his medal he was my Norm Smith medalist....

The Hawks fans didn't boo him they were say DEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWW! just like we say MOOOOOOON! whenever Mooney is up and about and like the Bulldogs say COOOOOOOOON! whenever Cooney gets a touch

We've all been fed the Geelong hype all year by the media this year. "Awesome, near impossible to beat, killer midfield, too many champs, too many All Australians"....blah, blah, blah.
We were all waiting for the Cat's skill to kick in today and be too much for the Hawks.

But when all excuses are washed away....you were beaten by a team with hearts as big as the 'G'.
The Hawks pulled you down to the level that suited them. Hardness and emotion.

How do you train for that?
How do you instill that?

Bingo.

As good as Geelong's small/mid forwards are they all went missing today along with Mooney and Lonergan. The backline was better than good and the midfield were good. Hopefully another preseason into Tom Hawkins will see him ready to cement a place.

From how I saw it, Hawthorn wanted it more, plain and simple.

If more played the way Selwood did in the first quarter and a half we would have been a fair way in front. But we didn't and we weren't.

Nothing drastic needs to happen.

We won our flag last year by the greatest margin ever. You won your only flag ever by a single point almost fifty years ago and have been obliterated in every recent finals series you've played in.

And within that there is another lesson - A year is a long time in football.

1. We played underdone injured players like STOKES, KELLY, CHAPMAN. Would have got more out of GAMBLE than STOKES at least. WOJO's pace would worry Hawks. 2.We are very predictable, which is reasonable after 2 years of some success, but everybody knows how we will line up and we should have played Lonergan back during the year and Taylor forward etc. 3.September form is more important than we realized- CROWS 97, 98 and LIONS 2001,2,3 are examples along with Hawks today.We dropped off last week and today our forwards were below par. Were we hungry enough or not able to handle true pressure or not having a loss or a scare for so long not ready for this contest? 4.Our last quarter was our worst for as long as I can recall-we were not out of it on the scoreboard but we tossed it in. Only Ablett & Milburn played desperately. We can not handle true pressure? We did not want it as much as the Hawks who THREW their bodies around ferociously 5. Hence winning every game this year was not the greatest preparation as it turned out 6. We need fit Hawkins 2009

1. We played underdone injured players like STOKES, KELLY, CHAPMAN. Would have got more out of GAMBLE than STOKES at least. WOJO's pace would worry Hawks. 2.We are very predictable, which is reasonable after 2 years of some success, but everybody knows how we will line up and we should have played Lonergan back during the year and Taylor forward etc. 3.September form is more important than we realized- CROWS 97, 98 and LIONS 2001,2,3 are examples along with Hawks today.We dropped off last week and today our forwards were below par. Were we hungry enough or not able to handle true pressure or not having a loss or a scare for so long not ready for this contest? 4.Our last quarter was our worst for as long as I can recall-we were not out of it on the scoreboard but we tossed it in. Only Ablett & Milburn played desperately. We can not handle true pressure? We did not want it as much as the Hawks who THREW their bodies around ferociously 5. Hence winning every game this year was not the greatest preparation as it turned out 6. We need fit Hawkins 2009

I would've thought Wojo would have been the most underdone of the lot of them, considering he'd been out for longer than the rest.

We've all been fed the Geelong hype all year by the media this year. "Awesome, near impossible to beat, killer midfield, too many champs, too many All Australians"....blah, blah, blah.
We were all waiting for the Cat's skill to kick in today and be too much for the Hawks.

But when all excuses are washed away....you were beaten by a team with hearts as big as the 'G'.
The Hawks pulled you down to the level that suited them. Hardness and emotion.

How do you train for that?
How do you instill that?

The Hawks were gifted by our inaccuracy, nothing more. Had Mooney not shanked every attempt, we would walk in at half time 6 goals up at least.

We threw the match away, we had them and didnt take it when we should have. I can only hope this really instills a killer mentality in not only the team but also the club, and we obliterate everyone we play next year, because after today anything less then that sort of effort is an insult to supporters.

Win the flag before you start trumpeting yourselves as the best one season team of all time.

This man speaks the truth.

To claim the best season of all time, as of yet you would have to win every game, or at least win 21 AND win a premiership to show for it in the same year.

So far the only team to have done this was Essendon in 2000. Winning 21 games & ALL of the finals. That's closer to invincibility than Geelong have gotten so far.

Maybe next year you will come back even more pumped, and you may rival this record... but this time don't get ahead of yourselves.

That old man getting a "Geelong premiers 08" tattoo is an example. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that geelong lose grand finals plain and simple, throw all the stats out the window and understand we lose grand finals and have never beaten Hawthorn is a important game since 1963.

That Geelong have too many band wagon supporters plain and simple. Throw all the number of Members out of the window and keep the loyal supporters only. Even though we lose grand finals they are a valuable asset to the AFL and the the City of Greater Geelong.

"Don't expect 1st year players to play like veterans. (and don't rag on them when they don't)"

Which 1st year player was wearing the blue & white?

"If you have a team on the ropes, finish the job"

Were they more than a goal in front at any stage?

Harry Taylor is a 1st year player. His drop of the ball coming out of defense cost Geelong an untimely goal.

Brad Ottens should learn the lesson to make sure of the goal when it's open in front of you, handpass to a better psoitioned player or run all the way in and roof it like Cyril Rioli did.

1. Travis Varcoe is not a 1st team player (but I already knew that).
2. Mark Blake is good in the hit-outs but doesn't do anywhere near enough around the ground (I knew that already as well).
3. You are only as good as your last game (We all know that).

This man speaks the truth.

To claim the best season of all time, as of yet you would have to win every game, or at least win 21 AND win a premiership to show for it in the same year.

So far the only team to have done this was Essendon in 2000. Winning 21 games & ALL of the finals. That's closer to invincibility than Geelong have gotten so far.

Maybe next year you will come back even more pumped, and you may rival this record... but this time don't get ahead of yourselves.

That old man getting a "Geelong premiers 08" tattoo is an example. :thumbsu:

Enjoy the bottom 8 and keep talking about your team that was good oh 8 years ago :thumbsu: You'll be in the bottom 8 for a while.

ive learnt that EVERYONE SUDDENLY BECOMES A EXPERT WHEN THERE TEAM LOSES A GAME, GEELONG SUPPORTERS ARE BECOMING THE BIGGEST EXPERTS AND HAVE PHDS IN HINDSIGHT, shut the fk up and support our team. we fking won it last year remember. up urs to any fellow cats suporters why winge and winge and blame this and that., we r fkin lucky we have agood team who wont b goin backwards anytime soon.

Harry Taylor is a 1st year player. His drop of the ball coming out of defense cost Geelong an untimely goal.

Brad Ottens should learn the lesson to make sure of the goal when it's open in front of you, handpass to a better psoitioned player or run all the way in and roof it like Cyril Rioli did.

There was more than this turnover which cost a goal, I'll give you the tip. We had the ball for about 12 mins straight in our forward line in the second, but a few costly turnovers cost us dearly. Poor decision making and clutch possessions gave goals away. The Dew intercept in the second, kicking over the top to buddy then onto williams, a perfect example.

What I think should be learned most is carrying guys who are either underdone or underperforming. Keeping too many in, results in a loss, especially in the finals.

Also I'd hate to say it, but the negativity is really annoying. If we'd have kicked straight (5-6 very easy shots on goal missed), stopped the costly turnovers (One above, plus our fumbling - Taylor's in the forward 50m, Rooke's 50m penalty), we would have a different outcome. Simple.

There is absolutely no real need for whole scale change. We have the team, they just have to get back to the basics.

There was more than this turnover which cost a goal, I'll give you the tip. We had the ball for about 12 mins straight in our forward line in the second, but a few costly turnovers cost us dearly. Poor decision making and clutch possessions gave goals away. The Dew intercept in the second, kicking over the top to buddy then onto williams, a perfect example.

What I think should be learned most is carrying guys who are either underdone or underperforming. Keeping too many in, results in a loss, especially in the finals.

Also I'd hate to say it, but the negativity is really annoying. If we'd have kicked straight (5-6 very easy shots on goal missed), stopped the costly turnovers (One above, plus our fumbling - Taylor's in the forward 50m, Rooke's 50m penalty), we would have a different outcome. Simple.

There is absolutely no real need for whole scale change. We have the team, they just have to get back to the basics.

I pointed out the taylor mistake to give an example of a geelong 1st year player. The guy I initially quoted asked which geelong player was in their first year.

That said, geelong can onl blame themselves. Poor kicking is poor football

When your best player is cleaned up someone should fly the flag! One person would be a start, but when Ablett was taken out no one had a serious go at Mitchell, compare it to Ling/Solomon clash when the flag flew, is Ling a more valueable team mate then Ablett????????

Remove this Banner Ad

List your GF '08 Lessons here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back