List your teams 8 best players

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am curious to see who fans league wide rate as their individual teams 8 best players. It could give a good indication as to how important the quality of the players ranked 9-22 on a list are as two clubs may have similar talent levels in the players ranked 1-8 on their list but a big difference in quality with the players ranked 9-22 resulting in the teams being on opposite ends of the ladder. This is where screwed trading/free agency moves can really propel clubs forward.

For the Lions I'd go in no particular order:

1. Dayne Beams
2. Dayne Zorko
3. Tom Rockliff
4. Daniel Rich
5. Stefan Martin
6. Allen Christensen
7. Mitch Robinson
8. Harris Andrews

No order could be wrong haha

1. Cale Hooker
2. Michael Hurley
3. Zach Merrett
4. Dyson Heppell
5. Joe Daniher
6. Jobe Watson
7. Brendan Goddard
8. David Zaharakis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Luke Shuey
2. Josh Kennedy
3. Nic Naitanui
4. Jeremy Mcgovern
5. Sam Mitchell
6. Matt Priddis
7. Andrew Gaff
8. Dom Sheed (will improve majorly this year) if not Jack Darling

No particular order:
Marcus Bontempelli
Dale Morris
Jack Macrae
Luke Dahlhaus
Easton Wood
Bob Murphy
Jason Johannisen
Jake Stringer

Unlucky:
Matthew Boyd and Tom Liberatore. Libba is incredibly important and certainly capable of pushing up there, but since his ACL he hasn't quite reached the height of his game yet. Boydy has been and is brilliant but probably just edged out in my opinion. Could also make the argument for Picken and Hunter.

1. Scott Pendlebury
2. Adam Treloar
3. Brodie Grundy
4. Steele Sidebottom
5. Ben Reid
6. Daniel Wells
7. Jamie Elliot
8. Jeremy Howe

Unlucky: Darcy Moore (9), Taylor Adams (10), Alex Fasolo (11)

No particular order;

1. Fyfe
2. Mundy
3. Neale
4. Walters
5. Sandilands
6. SHill
7. Bennell
8. A Pearce.

Lachie Weller, Cam McCarthy and Connor Blakely going to be pushing very hard by the end of the year.
Included Bennell because despite him not playing a game for us yet, his talent and endeavor is undeniable.

1. Marc Murphy (still think would have most impact on us winning a game if not injured but had no luck for a few years now)
2. Bryce Gibbs (can kick multiple goals as a mid and not been used to his potential for much of his career, next few could be his best)
3. Patrick Cripps (if his kicking was as good as the two above him would be a sensational player, just needs to work on that to get higher rating from me, not as good a kick for goals as those guys but his inside work is A plus)
4. Kade Simpson ( class act, but in late part of career now so used mainly from backline)
5. Sam Docherty (excellent mark for his size and sets up attacking plays from half back better than most)
6. Ciaran Byrne (think he is a serious talent and was just learning to get the feel for this level before done his ACL)
7. Matt Kruezer (real workhorse and when combines rucking with being tall midfielder he becomes super value, if rucking was better and marking up forward better he would be higher rated.)
8. Ed Curnow (elite running machine that gets better and better with offensive play and use of the ball)

There are era's in our past as a club where some of these guys would be rated closer to 20 on list than top 8 but it is where we were left at end of 2015 and the new youngsters of last 18 months will fill these spots in 2 or 3 years and have stiffer competition to be rated in top 8.

1. Scott Pendlebury - has the runs on the board and is still a top five player in the comp.
2. Adam Treloar - the future is arriving. He is unbelievably good and has the scope to be one of the best players in the league.
3. Steele Sidebottom - lovely, classy, versatile mid with scoreboard impact. Opposition coaches know how dangerous he is, as he cops the tag every week.
4. Daniel Wells - when fit, I think Wells is the 2nd best pure outside mid, only behind Gaff. He offers class, pace, versatility and efficiency by foot.
5. Taylor Adams - another versatile mid who has been killing it off the back flank recently. Fantastic mix of both grunt and class.
6. Brodie Grundy - really took his game up a notch in 2016; will become an elite ruck in 2017.
7. Ben Reid - had a very underrated season in 2016; he was an absolute rock at CHB and he's always a pleasure to watch. One of the best leaders the club has.
8. Jeremy Howe - excelled in his first year at the Pies, working as a third tall under Reid and Frost/Brown. A crowd favourite also with his top notch marks and consistently good performances.

1. Scott Pendlebury
2. Adam Treloar
3. Brodie Grundy
4. Steele Sidebottom
5. Ben Reid
6. Daniel Wells
7. Jamie Elliot
8. Jeremy Howe

Unlucky: Darcy Moore (9), Taylor Adams (10), Alex Fasolo (11)
I would have Adams in your top six.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Cale Hooker
2. Michael Hurley
3. Zach Merrett
4. Dyson Heppell
5. Joe Daniher
6. Jobe Watson
7. Brendan Goddard
8. David Zaharakis

Good job, I'd argue Goddard out for Colyer as his pace is so destructive.

Goddard, Colyer, Zaharakis and Myers for me fighting for the last 2 spots, Tough call.

1. Cale Hooker
2. Michael Hurley
3. Zach Merrett
4. Dyson Heppell
5. Joe Daniher
6. Jobe Watson
7. Brendan Goddard
8. David Zaharakis

Hard to disagree there. You would almost have to think about putting Tippa or Raz in there after the year they've had but I'm not sure who you kick out. Goddard maybe.. His kicking which used to be his weapon hasn't been that great over the last 2 years.

Good job, I'd argue Goddard out for Colyer as his pace is so destructive.

Goddard, Colyer, Zaharakis and Myers for me fighting for the last 2 spots, Tough call.

I don't think Colyer has done it for long enough but I think by the end of next season that will be very different. He's one I can't wait to watch next year!

Gawn
Viney
N Jones
Hogan
TMac
Watts
Maaaaaybeeeeeee Lewis and Vince

8 not enough - lots of unlucky losers here

Remove this Banner Ad

List your teams 8 best players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back