Lloyd, Lucas and Johns. Is there room?

Remove this Banner Ad

No theres not room. We played all 3 and Hird in the NAB cup and lost to Carlton. We rest Hird and Johns, Lloyd boots 7 Scotty gives a solid hand and we beat West Coast in Perth. The fact we drafted Gumbleton 2nd was a joke considering the guy probably wont get a game for 5 years if we keep this list or we wont get enough out of the others to justify picking them in the first place.

Same problem down back. We had Fletcher, Bradley, Bolton, McPhee all playing tall so we turn Lovett-Murray into a 5th tall defender and then recruit a 6th tall defender in Michael.

Theres no point having half a dozen tall marking forwards if we have midfielders that can't consistently deliver accurate kicks to the big men!

WTF are you on about :confused:

I'm on about the shocking recruiting our club has done in recent times. We have loads of key talls half of which wouldnt make SANFL level yet have sat by the wayside and watched our midfield fall apart. While other teams are taking Judd and Dal Santo we are taking Bolton and Bradley.

I'm on about the shocking recruiting our club has done in recent times. We have loads of key talls half of which wouldnt make SANFL level yet have sat by the wayside and watched our midfield fall apart. While other teams are taking Judd and Dal Santo we are taking Bolton and Bradley.

Ant was referring to the Scott Lucas part of your post because he actually didn't play West Coast. Johns played, kicked two goals in the first quarter then got injured early in the second.

Alos, in recent years Essendon have drafted midfielders and we will see the benefit of them hopefully this year. Stanton, Watson, Monfries, Lovett and Dyson have all been drafted in the last 4 years and we should see a lot of them in our midfield this year.

I was asking about the part of your statement i had in bold ;) Lucas didnt play in Perth and Lloyd kicked 7 against the Dogs.
I get the fact that you think we should have recruited different players.

Ant was referring to the Scott Lucas part of your post because he actually didn't play West Coast. Johns played, kicked two goals in the first quarter then got injured early in the second.

Alos, in recent years Essendon have drafted midfielders and we will see the benefit of them hopefully this year. Stanton, Watson, Monfries, Lovett and Dyson have all been drafted in the last 4 years and we should see a lot of them in our midfield this year.

Lets not forget a fit Winderlich!

I think the problem with the Bombers' midfield in the past has been the lack of depth. Other teams have rotated their midfield regulalry whereas we have not had the luxury. But I think this year we will have more depth and be able to play more guys in the middle. Plus if we are getting smashed in the clearances then just chuck Hirdy in the mix and he is sure to get the ball.

I think that dyson should be picked. in the game time he got against the dogs he was very effective. he has really got quick and his disposal has improved. on the big wide ground of AAMI he should be picked to play on the wing ahead of kepler.

i know that this has nothing do to do with this thread, but i thought i might put it in anyway.

There is room if we get our delivary into the forward 50 right.Altough the questions you have to ask are.
1)With Lloyd,Lucas,Johns and Hird in the forward line are we going to be exploited too much on the rebound.
2) Would we be better off with the resting ruckman in the pocket? Hille and Laycock are both reasonably good on the lead and it gives us an option for another mid/small forward on the bench which means we can go with a 3 tall forward line plus Hird or go with Lucas,Lloyd and another crumber.

Agree with that. The 3rd tall should almost always be a versatle player/ruckman:-in our best ever year that was Allessio. you dont want to waste a bench position on a 'resting ruckman' or 'resting Key forward'. That is just poor use of resources imo.

I would be quite happy for Johns to spend 90% of the year at Bendigo, unless of course, Lucas goes to CHB, which is the only way we can accommodate Johns imo. Because frankly, I dont think Johns is good enough to make a useful contribution to the team whilst Lloyd, Lucas and Hird are in the forward line.

Depth isn't the only problem. We still need to work on footskills and players like Dyson and Dempsey are still adapting to the pace of the game.

To subdivide that even further...we have massive problems choosing the right options, whether it be by hand or foot.

There was only a period between 00 and 03 that we recruited poorly. Otherwise, I think the club has picked up its game in that department in recent years. Bolton?? How far back are you going??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was asking about the part of your statement i had in bold ;) Lucas didnt play in Perth and Lloyd kicked 7 against the Dogs.
I get the fact that you think we should have recruited different players.

Sorry my bad, Lucas and Hird both missed the Perth game With Lloyd booting 3 among our best afield and Johns handy whilst on the ground. The key to that win which I was trying to get my point over earlier was that over half our goals came from small running types and both key talls were productive without being cramped.

Lloyd amassed 7 vs. the Dogs with Gumbleton playing a bit role and I think Lucas and Johns missing.

The reason I am in dispute of Gumbleton being our 2nd pick is I dont see him adding anything to the team for atleast 3 years with our current list and given what Carlton and Collingwood got out of Murphy and Thomas last year, Along with Dids and Griffen in their debut seasons I feel we should of gone with a player that would be a 10 year + player but also be able to improve the team in year 1.

but gmeup who from lastyear's draft do you think we have a significant impact in the midfield this year? there is no marc murphy in the 2006 draft. whilst davey, jetta and houli will have just as much of an impact as thomas if not more.

i believe gumby was the correct choice as we have plenty of young midfielders: houli, jetta, hislop, lonergan, stanton, dyson, winders, jobe, lovett, dempsey and hocking.

it's a good sign that gumby won't play for a couple years because it shows that we have better things on our minds than just playing the kids.

You make some good points. Davey and Houli more so should make an impact this year and get double figure games. Jetta may struggle given he and Davey are similar players and Davey appears to be the preferred option. Would be good to see Tommy Hislop get a game since im a Tassie boy myself.

What are your thoughts on Hocking? He has been on the rookie list a couple of years now hasnt he? I know nothing about him.

from what i've seen of him in the VFL last season and the all-star game he has a future. he is very strong, as tough as nails and he runs all day. his skills aren't the best but who's are down are bomberland? he is similar to jason johnson.

it wouldn't surprise me if we elevated him at the season's end. he is more advanced than jolley was this time last year.

yer that would be great. if he played just a small part this year it would give the team a huge lift.

hocking probably will get elevated as he will be a better pick up than a kid at pick 60 or 70.

Sorry my bad, Lucas and Hird both missed the Perth game With Lloyd booting 3 among our best afield and Johns handy whilst on the ground. The key to that win which I was trying to get my point over earlier was that over half our goals came from small running types and both key talls were productive without being cramped.

Lloyd amassed 7 vs. the Dogs with Gumbleton playing a bit role and I think Lucas and Johns missing.

The reason I am in dispute of Gumbleton being our 2nd pick is I dont see him adding anything to the team for atleast 3 years with our current list and given what Carlton and Collingwood got out of Murphy and Thomas last year, Along with Dids and Griffen in their debut seasons I feel we should of gone with a player that would be a 10 year + player but also be able to improve the team in year 1.

Have you seen Gumby play at all?
If you had seen him play at Junior level you would have seen what an exceptional talent he is.
I have seen limited footage of him at senior level in WA, but what i saw was also impressive, although was a highlights package.
He has also shown glimpses of what he has to offer, but needs to work hard over the next 3-4 months.

Don't forget there are always injuries and he may be needed at some stage this year also.
I actually think he will play some senior footy this year either to cover injuries or in a game here and there for the experience.

he has a very similar body type to what riewoldt had when he was first drafted. in future drafts there are always going to be decent midfielders avaliable in the third and fourth rounds. good young KPP are quite rare and that is why we got gumby. it's great that we don't have to rush him into playing senior footy. that may have been where we went wrong with kepler???

but gmeup who from lastyear's draft do you think we have a significant impact in the midfield this year? there is no marc murphy in the 2006 draft. whilst davey, jetta and houli will have just as much of an impact as thomas if not more.

i believe gumby was the correct choice as we have plenty of young midfielders: houli, jetta, hislop, lonergan, stanton, dyson, winders, jobe, lovett, dempsey and hocking.

it's a good sign that gumby won't play for a couple years because it shows that we have better things on our minds than just playing the kids.

Wheres Lonergan been has he been playing the praccy matches?
He looked good in the all stars game, then i heared nothing of him since.

he injured his ankle in the VFL the week that we played carlton. it's not too serious and he will be right to play for bendigo in round 1

Heath Hocking has accepted one match ban for rough conduct while playing in a practice match for the Bendigo Bombers against Sandringham. He will miss round one of both the AFL and VFL season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lloyd, Lucas and Johns. Is there room?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back