lmao at the GC & GWS hysteria

Remove this Banner Ad

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
ya gotta laugh at the simple minded boofheads declaring these sides as shoe in flag favs as soon as they enter the ranks. So what if they have a raft of R1 selections, so they face up R1 with the likes of Patto, Tambling, Mitch thorp , Meyer, Watts types in the mix...WOW, I can see their opponents knocking at the knees...They wont win more than 6 games next year...bet on it...Good sies are years in the making and have a dynamic that is built year on year...a raft of selections in a 12mth period will NOT do it...and only a ****wit would think otherwise

I highly doubt they'll play finals in 2011 or 2012. Depending on who they poach from other clubs and how well they draft, they could be serious contenders within 3-4 years though.

ya gotta laugh at the simple minded boofheads declaring these sides as shoe in flag favs as soon as they enter the ranks. So what if they have a raft of R1 selections, so they face up R1 with the likes of Patto, Tambling, Mitch thorp , Meyer, Watts types in the mix...WOW, I can see their opponents knocking at the knees...They wont win more than 6 games next year...bet on it...Good sies are years in the making and have a dynamic that is built year on year...a raft of selections in a 12mth period will NOT do it...and only a ****wit would think otherwise

And if they dont succeed in their first year and only win six games the Vlad and co will change the draft rules and give them priority picks.

The Afl kept sydney afloat and the bears untill they succeeded , what makes any one think that the "DRAFT" which was once sancrosanct will not be tampered with again?

Our man Hutchy was saying yesterday he believes a couple of players have done verbal deals with GC (while Pickering denied any knowledge). They will be no where near it initially, after that who knows. The Bears were a disgrace and Vlad has learned not to damage the brand. Can you remember the Eagles when they first came in and their first game. I personally have it burned in my brain. I agree in what your saying though.

me thinks somehow they arent really going to break GM's door down to help them with his vision, when working out who to draft BJ. ;)

no doubt they will be a superteam given time. With Clayton in charge of recruiting and a large salary cap they will be unbelievable. Remember they will probably end up with GAblett, Cooney, C Brown and Harbrow who arent mugs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no doubt they will be a superteam given time. With Clayton in charge of recruiting and a large salary cap they will be unbelievable. Remember they will probably end up with GAblett, Cooney, C Brown and Harbrow who arent mugs

Sounds a bit like having Nathan Buckely, Rodney Eade, Warwick Capper Roger Merrett and a shitload of draft concessions doesnt it? Bo is right, history ahs shown it will take years for them to taste success.

Sounds a bit like having Nathan Buckely, Rodney Eade, Warwick Capper Roger Merrett and a shitload of draft concessions doesnt it? Bo is right, history ahs shown it will take years for them to taste success.

yeah history does show atm, the real deal that you and Bj dont understand is that what the AFL have seen in the history you talk about, have made them plan this in a way, to change what history has shown. ;)

me thinks somehow they arent really going to break GM's door down to help them with his vision, when working out who to draft BJ. ;)

yeah alright throw in types like sellars, hanson, gumbleton, thorp, Myer...I have a pile of material cogg that demonstrates a raft of R1 selections won't cut it alone. I grant that some quality uncontracted will assist but it will be more likely Chad cornes types they sign on their last legs.

A good side is built like layers of a cake...one part of the structure starts to fire then gaps are filled in subsequent drafts

This side will be a collective bunch of kids chasing their first kick in league football, refer to the impact of the likes of top 10 picks in Vickery and Watts have made in first season then consider if you think they will be a finals threat

yeah alright throw in types like sellars, hanson, gumbleton, thorp, Myer...I have a pile of material cogg that demonstrates a raft of R1 selections won't cut it alone. I grant that some quality uncontracted will assist but it will be more likely Chad cornes types they sign on their last legs.

A good side is built like layers of a cake...one part of the structure starts to fire then gaps are filled in subsequent drafts

This side will be a collective bunch of kids chasing their first kick in league football, refer to the impact of the likes of top 10 picks in Vickery and Watts have made in first season then consider if you think they will be a finals threat

they will be challenging within 3 years dude...the AFL have assessed the previous "franchise starts" and addressed any deficiencies they had.
First and foremost is that the GC is playing in the TAC as we speak, under the guidance of astute hand picked coaches. The recruiting portfolio has been filled with historically the cream of the crop. They want this to fly as quickly as possible, in the same way the Storm was set up by the NRL.
Right now its all about setting the foundations for a longer than usual stint at the top, by allowing them to initially fill their list with the best young talent in the land. By they time they have assessed who that is made up from they will then exercise the next "Community Chest" card by snapping up the nessecary ready to run, 50-100+ game candidates, that will compliment that young list and job done.
You might want to live in denial but this one aint gunna fizzle out as you suggest, "history shows". ;)

you may wanna check your archives when using Storm as a precedent partner, not sure that all conquering unit that hoisted its' flag was full of pimply faced adolecents..there was that blockhead from QLD, the Kiwi and any number of mercenaries you care to name. How competitive they are first up will largely depend on how succesful they are in luring quality uncontracted players

I think you misread this a little Cogga. I agree with you that the AFL will do all in its power to get these newbies up and running and challenging for finals as soon as they possibly can. I just don't think you can "make" a football club overnight. Maybe off the field OK but on the field McKenna and Sheedy will need to be of God like proportions to get a mix of young and mature from everywhere into a unit that can compete for finals. I might be wrong but...history shows lmao

GC and GWS are probably closer that Richmond to winning a flag at the moment

There is no way they will do as well as the Eagles did.

The Eagles had a top football state basically closed off for them for a few years. And after 4 years they were dominating.

The rest of the competition cried foul and that is why later start ups like Freo and Port were not given anywhere near as much concessions. To Port's credit they had an existing club and culture to build from. Freo - well they are the only club to make us look good since Fitzroy folded.

So now we'll have two new clubs which will be basically the Bears MkII and MkIII. I mean this with no disrespect. But it will be two new clubs with barely anything to build from in a culture/history sense, a couple of guns who went for the $$, a host of plodders who were the only unsigned players available, and a bunch of kids to fill the gaps.

The only way they will really do well in the short term is if a Melbourne club does a Fitzroy and gets relocated. And it's certainly on the AFL's radar, just not being talked about. The only hassle will be having a bye round until a second team goes to the wall or Tassie gets a team.

Effectively what the AFL has done is laid the groundwork for relocating two teams without knowing who they will be just yet.

GC and GWS are probably closer that Richmond to winning a flag at the moment

To be honest though Richmond are closer than Sydney. We are cleaning out and will continue to get quality new players. Sydney look like they have a competitive list built on aged champions. They may make the finals this year but they will be no where near challenging for the cup. Kirk, Goodes, J Bolton, C Bolton, Kennelly and co are all on the back end of their careers.

There is no way they will do as well as the Eagles did.

The Eagles had a top football state basically closed off for them for a few years. And after 4 years they were dominating.

The rest of the competition cried foul and that is why later start ups like Freo and Port were not given anywhere near as much concessions. To Port's credit they had an existing club and culture to build from. Freo - well they are the only club to make us look good since Fitzroy folded.

So now we'll have two new clubs which will be basically the Bears MkII and MkIII. I mean this with no disrespect. But it will be two new clubs with barely anything to build from in a culture/history sense, a couple of guns who went for the $$, a host of plodders who were the only unsigned players available, and a bunch of kids to fill the gaps.

The only way they will really do well in the short term is if a Melbourne club does a Fitzroy and gets relocated. And it's certainly on the AFL's radar, just not being talked about. The only hassle will be having a bye round until a second team goes to the wall or Tassie gets a team.

Effectively what the AFL has done is laid the groundwork for relocating two teams without knowing who they will be just yet.

give the man a cigar, spot on:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

lmao at the GC & GWS hysteria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back