Local Geelong Leagues Thread (GFL/BFL) 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So have teams started pre-season yet? I know Barwon Heads started a couple of weeks ago, ridiculous, even before Melbourne began theirs!

Have heard plenty about Newtown, Bell Park & Grovedale. What about the bottom 3 sides. Where is the improvement going to come from for Lara, St Albans & North Shore? Who have they recruited? You could nearly add Grovedale to that group.

Have heard plenty about Newtown, Bell Park & Grovedale. What about the bottom 3 sides. Where is the improvement going to come from for Lara, St Albans & North Shore? Who have they recruited? You could nearly add Grovedale to that group.

St Albans have recruited at least 5 or 6 big blokes one being Simon Potter who is a gun.
Michael McFarlane has signed on for 2 more years.

Havnt heard anything from Lara except Clarke might me on the move.
North Shore will struggle big time again.

St Albans have recruited at least 5 or 6 big blokes one being Simon Potter who is a gun.
That's a bloody good pick up for the Saints. Potter played a few ripping games for Geelong's VFL team last year.. outshone Hawkins in a few games.

Heard the same thing about St Albans. Potter is a jet who played with Greenvale and Geelong VFL - dominated in both competitions which is no mean feat. He is a good get and I'm told that they're going after a few fellows from Melbourne. How many would they need to get before they were competitive?

Surely your not talking about the same simon potter that played at Werribee and former St Joeys boy. GUN! Are you serious. Please tell me you guys are taking the piss.

That's a bloody good pick up for the Saints. Potter played a few ripping games for Geelong's VFL team last year.. outshone Hawkins in a few games.

Heard the same thing about St Albans. Potter is a jet who played with Greenvale and Geelong VFL - dominated in both competitions which is no mean feat. He is a good get and I'm told that they're going after a few fellows from Melbourne. How many would they need to get before they were competitive?

Surely your not talking about the same simon potter that played at Werribee and former St Joeys boy. GUN! Are you serious. Please tell me you guys are taking the piss.

I'm not 100% on details (I don't follow St Albans just got a good source there) but it is the Simon Potter that played 10 VFL games last season before returning to play at his local club.
He will be one of the pick ups of the season from what I've heard.

They are speaking with a few from Melbourne and are meant to be signing a big man from Leopold tonight.

as a past grovie junior and as someone who go's and watches all there matches id love to see the tigers push up the table instead of mediocre 6th-8th place finishes each year, but unfortunately i cant see them being able to recruit the calibre of players the likes of south,st marys and bell park get each year so it looks like another lean year on the cards up at burdoo drive

I'm not 100% on details (I don't follow St Albans just got a good source there) but it is the Simon Potter that played 10 VFL games last season before returning to play at his local club.
He will be one of the pick ups of the season from what I've heard.

They are speaking with a few from Melbourne and are meant to be signing a big man from Leopold tonight.
Walker? Ahmat? Hardy?

if potters going to st albans, u can bet that the "big" man from leopold will be their most overated player, the bloke that played 2 games in the 2's and was then gifted games in the ones, renwick watts

if potters going to st albans, u can bet that the "big" man from leopold will be their most overated player, the bloke that played 2 games in the 2's and was then gifted games in the ones, renwick watts
Possibly. However, saw Rennie the other day and he didn't know what he was doing with footy because work was more important.
Surprising that Potter would go to St. Alban's considering he is best mates with Josh Rudd at Joeys. Would be getting better money at Supersaints though...

Does anybody have a link to where u can check out all the clearances/requests?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah fair to say that renwick watts would be that so-called big man from leopold. played 2 games in 2s coming back from injury, was put into the 1sts, played a few ordinary games, got dropped back to the 2s and wasnt seen again for rest of the season. Not sure whether there was a committment issue with work or injuries took over but havent really seen the best of his ability. heres hoping st.albans can get the best out of him..

article in today's addy about Peter Street, Newtown and Leopold.

TWO Geelong Football League clubs are locked in a tug of war for former Western Bulldogs' ruckman Peter Street.
Newtown & Chilwell and Leopold both remain confident of securing Street's services after extensive talks with the big man.
Both clubs believe the 28-year-old, who played 78 AFL matches for the Bulldogs and Geelong during his 10-year career, has plenty to offer both on and off the field.
Each have had several meetings with Street, who lives in Geelong.
Employment packages have been a key component of each club's offer, with Street having already started work with one of Newtown's major backers.
Newtown officials last met with Street on Wednesday night.
Eagles coach Simon Sutterby said the signs were positive during the meeting and he hoped Street would sign with the club in the coming days.
``We're obviously very keen to secure the services of an experienced ex-AFL ruckman. The most important thing as a club is that we're very player welfare and family orientated and we're not offering him the world, but we are offering him a skilled career with a locally-based company that's going international,'' Sutterby said.
``The most important thing for him is that we get a good career base and give him a career after football and he'd be great for the young kids here.''
It is understood Street, who was delisted by the Bulldogs after playing one senior match last season, may yet seek an AFL lifeline via the national or pre-season draft.
Sutterby said his club was prepared for the possibility that Street could find a new AFL home.
But he said that if the 211cm big man was overlooked, his experience and footy smarts would be invaluable at a GFL club.
Leopold coach Aaron Greeves yesterday revealed the Lions had also sought employment opportunities for Street.
Greeves said he was aware that Street had met with Newtown, but believed his club still had a chance to sign him.
``It comes down to his career and whoever can offer better job opportunities. We're very fortunate with someone like Streety that he's not chasing money. He's just looking for a career,'' he said.
``We'll put our best offer to him job wise and see how that fares. ``There's a couple of different options for him, so we'll wait and see. We've had several meetings (with him) now, the same as Newtown & Chilwell, and he'll sit back and make a decision in the coming days.''
St Joseph's has also been mentioned as a possible home for Street but the club earlier this week distanced itself from the speculation, indicating it would continue to implement its youth policy in 2009.

have you got some inside info on the limb boys because all of his brothers would be returning to queenscliff with him as michael and matt both played at leopold this season and have been there last few years (apart from matt missing last year) and blake has also played at leopold. i didnt see tom play the 1 game for leopold he did play in but have seen him up close and he appeared larger than 182 when standing next to him.
nah he would be maybe 6'1 tops. and as far as i know all the limb boys are returning to qcliff, tom included.

yeah fair to say that renwick watts would be that so-called big man from leopold. played 2 games in 2s coming back from injury, was put into the 1sts, played a few ordinary games, got dropped back to the 2s and wasnt seen again for rest of the season. Not sure whether there was a committment issue with work or injuries took over but havent really seen the best of his ability. heres hoping st.albans can get the best out of him..

The most over-rated player to have played GFL for many years.

Didn't Watts play at Werribee? Must have some ability, surely.

As for the Saints, where does their cash come from and if they are financial, why has success eluded them in recent years?

Didn't Watts play at Werribee? Must have some ability, surely.

As for the Saints, where does their cash come from and if they are financial, why has success eluded them in recent years?

yeah he did spend a couple seasons at werribee but played mainly in the 2's down there i think. may have played a couple games in the 1sts.

mate its definately not a done thing with wayne barrett and hayden graham.they have to meet with grovie 1st before they make any desicions

they were at bell parks first training session tonight along with davenport who has been training there for a number of weeks with the under 18 kids coming up who wanted to get a head start...

Hi im a first time subscriber, long time viewer. Speaking of overated players Benjamin Harris would surely take the sponge and then some... Has this bloke ever played on anybody... U guessed it no, he will not like the close attention of the GFL Let alone his brother Adam who thrives on physical attention

lara r talking 2 jack hollmer. hollmer will play there if he is not on geelongs vfl list. they r also in talks with a ruckman from the edfl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back