Local Geelong Leagues Thread (GFL/BFL/GDFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your talking about the ammos premiershipS Where did the 'S' come from ? havent they only won the '04 flag in the past decade at least? If anyone deserved to go to GFL based on this it would have to be ocean grove for their sustained success... which by the way could amount to another flag this year.

In regards to the GDFL thinking that their clubs would 'linger' in div2.. how would that be any different to how it is now, only difference is that there is no chance for teams to get any better. The GDFL are looking at this the wrong way if this is the case. Looking at past results over a decade.. the only teams that would be doing any lingering at this stage would be inverleigh, geelong west, belmont and maybe even winchelsea.. but even belmont have had a solid start to this year. Maybe the incentive of a promotion would sting some regular under-achievers into action.

Clubs would have no trouble attracting players either because as it stands now.. players can be attracted to leave GFL clubs to go to GDFL and vice-versa.

NRAF... I was refering to Ammos opinion on themselves. They believe their success and consistancy should be rewarded with a promotion. I'm not saying they should... Regarding their premierships, that was a mistake. I realise now that they have reached the grand final on numerous times but have only won the one.

Also, be realistic... what GDFL team at the moment would repalce a BFL or GFL in the top division. No club could finacially buy players with the resources they have. No GDFL club has pokies, have poor facilities, rely on sponsership to survive, haven't got the depth of juniors as other BFL and GFL clubs have and some wouldn't survive without the financial support of Buckley's. They would occupy many of the positions in the third division and a handful in the division 2 so that means that they will linger! No club would make division one.

In regards to the GDFL clubs attracting players, they attract one or two good players and the others they recruit are fringe players. You would not get many players leave a division one club to play division two or three, unless their club was demoted.

I think the promotion system would be great especially with the gdfl and bfl clubs who often play so many one sided games. If it went a head you would see Werribee Centrals climbing the ranks in a hurry (not with there current side)but there would be 50+ blokes running around in the GFL and the BFL from Werribee, they would be able to keep them in Werribee if they were in a better comp.

I think the promotion system would be great especially with the gdfl and bfl clubs who often play so many one sided games. If it went a head you would see Werribee Centrals climbing the ranks in a hurry (not with there current side)but there would be 50+ blokes running around in the GFL and the BFL from Werribee, they would be able to keep them in Werribee if they were in a better comp.
I agree; there are at least that in other leagues other than Centrals. GWSP has at least 10 players who have played for Werribee's VFL side.

I think Thomson could cut in a higher division at the moment.

bell post hill or thompson deffintly..... both clubs have good reserves and seniors team for footy but thompson dont have an 18s team.
There netball teams are both at the top of the ladder ranging from 13s to a grade.

I think Thomson could cut in a higher division at the moment.

They possibly could but would they be competitive in division one?

Possible Div One clubs would be:

Sth. Barwon, St. Joeys, Colac, St. Marys, Bell Park, Newtown, GWSP, Grovedale, North Shore, Leopold, Ocean Grove, Torquay, Drysdale, Ammos, Newcomb (only based on seniors performance). There would be 12 in the top division so 2nd and 3rd div would have the same amount of numbers. That means that two of those teams above would be relegated to division 3 since there is 15 listed. Could Thomson, BPH or even Bannockburn replace any of those teams mentioned to play Div one?

I wouldn't think so...

They possibly could but would they be competitive in division one?

Possible Div One clubs would be:

Sth. Barwon, St. Joeys, Colac, St. Marys, Bell Park, Newtown, GWSP, Grovedale, North Shore, Leopold, Ocean Grove, Torquay, Drysdale, Ammos, Newcomb (only based on seniors performance). There would be 12 in the top division so 2nd and 3rd div would have the same amount of numbers. That means that two of those teams above would be relegated to division 3 since there is 15 listed. Could Thomson, BPH or even Bannockburn replace any of those teams mentioned to play Div one?

I wouldn't think so...

I basically meant Thomson could cut it in the BFL.

Think he might be injured usually he plays in the twos for the dragons however he started in the ones and hasn't been seen since round one.

Can anyone fill us in on Patty Brown from Bell park and how he is going this year??

Rumour has it he has been seen flat out in the gym sculpting his massive pipes..apparently cant lift his hands above his head on saturdays cause he is too sore!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bell Park 13.14 d Lara 9.13
South Barwon 17.8 d Colac 11.7
North Shore 21.8 d Leopold 9.10
Grovedale 20.13 d St Albans 14.5
Newtown & Chilwell 17.8 d Geelong West St Peters 15.10
St Joseph's 11.12 d St Mary's 7.16.

Newcomb Power 20.20 d Drysdale Hawks 14.8
Ocean Grove 18.8 d Portarlington 7.12
Torquay 16.11 d Anglesea 14.14
Queenscliff 8.12 d Modewarre 8.10
Geelong Amateur 17.10 d Barwon Heads 13.5.

Can anyone fill us in on Patty Brown from Bell park and how he is going this year??

Yeah, he cant get a game in their 2s! Apparently he has been trainin with Blue West, he just wants to try and get a game somewhere.

Leopold and Bell Park would be lucky to play finals this season, as both sides, with big recruits, have failed to really have an impact on the league thus far.

Absolute cracking game at West between GWSP and Newtown. A fine advertisement as to why the GFL is a cut above the rest of the other elite country leagues; skills all day were sensational. Newtown close to 5 goals up at qtr time but the Roosters turned it on in the 2nd qtr and trailed by a straight kick at the half before leading by 5pts at the last change. Newtown's sharpshooters were the difference with Verco (class act) and Bett kicking 10.1 between them. Saunders best on ground with 4 goals and nigh on 20 contested marks at chf for the Roosters. Riccardi amongst the best but Humm very quiet and not tagged. Local football looking very healthy if the high level of play in this game is anything to go by.

Name Bell Park's recruits...

My apologies Bru, I should have been more specific. Over the past 1-2 years, both sides have spent a considerable amount of money on both players and coaches. This season, is where the rewards should be, and how they stand at present, would be disappointing for all involved.
I know it's only early, but the signs are ominous.

Newcomb Power 20.20 d Drysdale Hawks 14.8
Ocean Grove 18.8 d Portarlington 7.12
Torquay 16.11 d Anglesea 14.14
Queenscliff 8.12 d Modewarre 8.10
Geelong Amateur 17.10 d Barwon Heads 13.5.

Does this mean that Anglesea's first round demolition of Ammo's was nothing more than a fluke? They seem very hot and cold at present.
The Heads, although beaten, seem to have improved in their performances of late.
Drysdale were rated highly, but come unstuck against class opposition.

Does this mean that Anglesea's first round demolition of Ammo's was nothing more than a fluke? They seem very hot and cold at present.
The Heads, although beaten, seem to have improved in their performances of late.
Drysdale were rated highly, but come unstuck against class opposition.

Ammos did have a few key players out that day including Sam Clark and Lindsay Smith, may have contributed.

Also it was a pretty wet day but also early in the season teams that have had the oppurtunity to train more on proper grounds such as Anglesea may have an advantage early in the season till other clubs can catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back