Local Geelong Leagues Thread (GFL/BFL/GDFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite what many people here are saying i am not one of those in favour of Ammos moving to the GFL. I have always prefered being in the BFL.

And as for those bringing out the old soft tag i ask how many Ammo games have you seen, its just an old line that may have been appropriate over 10 years ago but not now.

Yes i may be a bit harsh on my critisism of Newcomb and now that you mention it technically they did hurt our chances of joining the GFL according to the criterior that is in place. But that criterior only allows a team to APPLY to join the GFL. And i think even if Ammos did they wouldnt get in anyway.

As i said i am against a move for he Ammos to the GFL you are right i dont think they are as good as they think they are. They have found their level in the BFL and should be happy to stay there.

As for my grudge against Newcomb it goes way back and thats fine most players have something against one club or another, mine is Newcomb. One of the main reasons and it may seem silly but the racial abuse i have heard coming from their supporters (who are ex or current players i saw who was saying it and he played for the club) towards a player was a disgrace to their club. I have never in all my years of football heard anything like or have i since. Add to that the usual sort of stuff that may make you dislike a club, thats the way i feel, so be it. But the racial abuse is not on in my book.

At least when i say my point of view i feel i can back it up. Unlike others who just trot out the same old Ammos soft tag just like everyone else does.

Also to the person who said it is a lack of loyalty to the club that is costing htem not the buying of a premiership those two things go hand in hand. If you buy players you are bringing players to a club who are coming to the club for money only. You would expect that when that is not on offer anymore they would leave. I dont think you can expect loyalty in that situation. Loyalty comes from playing for a club for the love of the place and its people not how much money it can offer you. Ultimately that is what has lead to Newcombs downfall.

there would not be a club in the geelong area who can say they have not had an issue with loyalty. players may start their juniors at one club but once they have developed and other clubs take notice, it is always going to be the case players will leave if they think opportunites are greater elsewhere. also a bit of incentive does help.

South Barwon defeated Werribee's 2's by about 50 points, however a knee injury to Dale Amos have overshadowed the win. It's unknown how bad it is at this stage.

Dale has already had a knee reconstruction, missing most of 2006.

A huge blow to the Swans if bad news...and it may have been Dale's last game...with speculation this was to be his last year

yeah everyone bags the gdfl but the fact is they are the most financial league in victoria the hierarchy of the gdfl will speak to all players not just the tall poppys the fact is that the leaders of the gfl are just stuck up pricks and i know for a fact there is a player and many more that stick it up gdfl as far as a league go go and play gdfl and if you dominate then you are capable to comment and as far as the mighty has fallin why would you play a practice match against portarlington
north shore playing portarlington in a practice match say no more

care to add some full stops and comma's? or just delete the whole post....

The players that are leaving our club, still love it and more than one of the leavers have said to me that they will be back before to long. I don't know why they need the break, but they feel they need to do it now. The other thing that has got me, is that the players are going to all different clubs. No ideas why.

Every one keeps coming up with the answer that it is because we didn't have a junior program in place. Well what do you think we are, idiots? I have been involved with juniors at the club in the past and for some reason, be it new sports or lack of schools in the area, find it difficult to recruit and then retain the kids. We did however have an Eastern Colts team that went through undefeated for two years and then there was no under 15 team for them to 'graduate' into.

But anyway, we will get through this. Numbers are starting to increase with 26 at training Wednesday night. There are still the cricketers to show. We would still be happy to see some new faces at the club.

f**k is that a backward step, or the great players that play there can get a kick ( the same ones that bag gdfl ) ahahahahahaha

does it matter who you play in a practice game? what do you get out of it? it wouldnt matter who you play. theres no points on offer. you forgot to mention north shore playin learmonth and grovedale too. or do you just pick and choose what bits you wanna write about.

Probably be there only win for the year also. Whats the news out of St Marys heard there was an article on them in Saturdays addy. Can someone please fill us in on there ins and outs for 2008. Will they be contenders this year?

yeah everyone bags the gdfl but the fact is they are the most financial league in victoria the hierarchy of the gdfl will speak to all players not just the tall poppys the fact is that the leaders of the gfl are just stuck up pricks and i know for a fact there is a player and many more that stick it up gdfl as far as a league go go and play gdfl and if you dominate then you are capable to comment and as far as the mighty has fallin why would you play a practice match against portarlington

the gdfl has attracted some star players the last few seasons and is not the worse comp. going round. they are stiff not to be offered interleague matches as they would surprise many. the standard of gdfl will increase with the influx of these quality players.

Probably be there only win for the year also. Whats the news out of St Marys heard there was an article on them in Saturdays addy. Can someone please fill us in on there ins and outs for 2008. Will they be contenders this year?

st.marys have added some strength to their midfield according to the addy, including josh maddox from the SANFL and ben lavars from werribee. practice matches are not about winning and losing it is all about trying new team tactics and match plays. everyone has written north shore off but they are the type of team who are likely to surprise many. although alot of player have left they have a quality junior program in place and will be strong again in years to come. portarlington has recruited well in the off-season and would give most clubs a fair run for their money this season.

Can't understand what you are trying to say?! Do you have a point? Did you write this as a text message on a mobile phone?

The players that are leaving our club, still love it and more than one of the leavers have said to me that they will be back before to long. I don't know why they need the break, but they feel they need to do it now. The other thing that has got me, is that the players are going to all different clubs. No ideas why.
Good luck with that but I think you're dreaming. Players leave for other clubs in local footy for two reasons; i) for more money or; ii) because they're not happy where they are. Sounds like they were happy there so that being the case they have left for money which brings us to our original point of how Newcomb got into this position to start off with.

(1) a lot of bagging on this site of gdfl
(2) gdfl the most financial league in vic
(3) i played for both the gdfl and gfl,the hierarchy of gdfl would crap all over the gfl as they speak with all players not just the top players of the top sides
(4) and the dig about nth shore, for many years they have played practise matches against quality teams why would you bother against portarlington
i)Bagging probably because it is perceived as the weaker of the three local leagues.
ii)No arguments here with the most financial league. Running Buckleys helps.
iii)Can't comment. If you're talking about the league itself talking to players; I'm not sure why they would need to do that.
iv)Agree. Despite what even the ardent followers of the Seagulls think or want to believe, they are in for tough times. You can't lose half or more of your senior side and expect to still be competitive straight away while the other good sides in the comp get even better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This might generate a bit of interest as it's been quiet of late

What are everyone's thoughts on the BFL this season?
What do people think the ladder will end up like?

Also a while back there was a post about the top 5 players at each club.
Who do you think are the top 5 at each club or just yours?
And who do you think top 3 in league b & f and goal kicking now that Ricky O'Toole and Sam Clarke are gone.

And who do you think top 3 in league b & f and goal kicking now that Ricky O'Toole and Sam Clarke are gone.
Whilst we are at it; what about the Top 5 GFL Mathieson Medal and goalkicking. While we are at it; what about ladder predictions as well.

Whilst we are at it; what about the Top 5 GFL Mathieson Medal and goalkicking. While we are at it; what about ladder predictions as well.
My prediction for GFL ladder at end of h&a season:
Sth Barwon
St Marys
GWSP
Bell Park
Colac
Joeys
Newtown
Grovedale
Leopold
Lara
St Albans
Nth Shore

Mathieson: M.Corrigan, J.Cail, S.Faulkner, Clayton(Grovey), C.Wells
Goals: D.Carson, T.McLean, G.Verco(if plays all year), C.Wells, N.Saunders

the early favourite for goal kicking would be david mitchell at ammos. former werribee full forward who can kick bags consistently. as for league b&F travis robertson would go close along with luke matthews down at drysdale. could be the former north shore crowd that wins all honours at bfl level.

Here is mine:

Sth Barwon
Bell Park
GWSP
St Marys
St Joeys
Newtown
Leopold
Colac
St Albans
Lara
Grovedale
North Shore

Mathieson: M Corrigan, P Chambers, J Cail, T Hay, L Hardman
Goals: D.Carson, T.McLean, G.Verco, N.Saunders, T Clark

Looks like the South Barwon playing coach may have done his knee for the second time. Shame. Could it end his career?

Injury may have ended South Barwon coach Dale Amos' season

Jason Shields

04Mar08

Share this article
Digg this Post to del.icio.us Post to Newsvine Post to Facebook SOUTH Barwon coach Dale Amos' season may be over after he left the field with another potentially serious knee injury on Saturday.

Amos went down during the first quarter of the Swans' practice match against Werribee and had scans yesterday to reveal the extent of the injury.

The gun midfielder, who only returned from a full knee reconstruction late last season, said he would not know the results of the scans until either tomorrow or Thursday. ``I just have to wait and hope now,'' Amos said yesterday.

``Initially I feared the worst, but I saw a Geelong physio who said the graft still felt tight, so we're not too sure.

``It was just a change of direction, trying to push off on the same leg (that required reconstruction) and it collapsed underneath. It felt pretty similar to last time.''

Amos missed playing in the 2006 Geelong Football League grand final after injuring his knee in the preliminary final, but coached his team to victory from the sidelines and returned late last year to play a leading role in the Swans' third successive premiership.

``Obviously missing most of last year, I am pretty keen to try and squeeze a few more years out of my body, so I'll just have to wait and see now,'' Amos said.

South Barwon football manager Bill McCann admitted it would be a bitter blow if the popular coach required another reconstruction.

``It would be absolutely shattering for him,'' McCann said. ``It is not fair for a bloke who works so hard. He is super professional and last year he could have come back two months before he did, but he was just so disciplined with his rehab that he trained until it was right.

``It was very innocuous (on Saturday). It was only 30 metres in front of me and there was a bit of a contest and he went down. When they went out to him, he shook his head, stood up and limped off. It didn't look good.''

The injury to Amos dampened an otherwise positive day for the reigning premier which looked ominous against a weakened Werribee line-up.

The Swans smashed the VFL club by 12 goals and were impressed by the performance of their youngsters.

``We had about 10 kids from our under-18s last year and they were fantastic,'' McCann said.

Amos expected several young guns to get their chance during the season proper.

``With practice matches it is hard to tell because you don't really know how good the opposition are, but the kids did perform well,'' the coach said.

``They will obviously have to earn their spots, but our plan would be to phase them through this year.''

the early favourite for goal kicking would be david mitchell at ammos. former werribee full forward who can kick bags consistently. as for league b&F travis robertson would go close along with luke matthews down at drysdale. could be the former north shore crowd that wins all honours at bfl level.

If David Mitchell doesn't kick a ton i will be very surprised. From what i can gather he is a deadly kick and with some quality dlivery he will be hard to stop. Its a shame him and Sam Clark won't get to work in combination in the forward line would have been a great combo.

Has anyone heard how Drysdale are shapping up this season? Pretty disappointing finish last year given how well they went throughout the season so you'd think they'd be pretty primed. Have they improved their list? Also Angelsea seem to have picked up a few. Any word out of roo land?

Sth Barwon
St Marys
GWSP
Bell Park
Colac
Joeys
Newtown
Grovedale
Leopold
Lara
St Albans
Nth Shore

Regarding the league BnF, keep an eye out for Chris Jones back to St Mary's after a year where he was runner up in the efl BnF in a side that won 5 games, and two guys he's brought along with him, Josh Maddox, third in AFLQ BnF 2 years ago as a 22 y.o, and Jason Casey, a 7 time club BnF winner.

Has anyone heard how Drysdale are shapping up this season? Pretty disappointing finish last year given how well they went throughout the season so you'd think they'd be pretty primed. Have they improved their list? Also Angelsea seem to have picked up a few. Any word out of roo land?

yer mate anglesea have got a new few faces at training the 2 EJ Whitten grandsons are down playin and we also got a few melbounre guys cumin to have a run.....anglesea have got a oracy game this saturday vs a warrnambool side so i let you guys know who played good and how the new faces went
go the roos:thumbsu::D

Sth Barwon
St Marys
GWSP
Bell Park
Colac
Joeys
Newtown
Grovedale
Leopold
Lara
St Albans
Nth Shore

My predictions & why

St Marys - Picked up the best of any.
Sth Barwon - Lost a couple but were already well ahead
Bell Park - Added couple of guns to young team that made GF
Colac - Always fly under the radar but have been very strong of late
Newtown - still have pretty potent forward line- some handy inclusions
Grovedale - young team that will get better
GWSP - Will do well to maintain current position after being much improved in 2007
St Joeys -Young list redeveloping
Leopold - Wont cover loss of brown
Lara - on right track but couple of years away imo
St Albans - Heaps of recruits but looks like quantity of quality
North Shore - Long long year ahead.

matheson - Cook, Cail, Jones

Goals - Mclean, D. Carson, mensch if permanent in forward line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back