Local Geelong Leagues Thread (GFL/BFL/GDFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
SWANNEES said:
HOPPERS RECENT RECORD 2001=2ND 2002=PREMIERS 2003=2ND
2004=PREMIERS 2005=3RD 2006= 2ND
PLAY IN WRFL (WESTERN REGION ) TOLD HAVE LICENSED CLUB POKIES TAB ETC AND ARE TO START 200 SEAT SOCIAL CLUB DOUBLE STORIE
NEXT YEAR AND HAVE ALREADY HAD MEETING WITH GFL AND AS STATED AT START **IF ACCEPTED BY GFL ** REGARDS

They wouldnt stand up to the GFL Swannees, pi$$ off mate, its never gunna happen, I umpired the in a practice match in the 2005 pre season against GWSP, and Red West (Arguably GFL's poorest performers as a team) flogged them by about 10 goals, it will never happen...

lions_man1 said:
They wouldnt stand up to the GFL Swannees, pi$$ off mate, its never gunna happen, I umpired the in a practice match in the 2005 pre season against GWSP, and Red West (Arguably GFL's poorest performers as a team) flogged them by about 10 goals, it will never happen...

You are an idiot lions-man! I was also at that practise game. A half strength hoppers actually beat west by 12 goals, with blokes like michael frost running amok. That was the week after i watched hoppers demolish Lara. Maybe you should stick to umpiring reserves as that is obviously what you take most note of. Hoppers would play finals if in the gfl although i admit probably wouldnt make top 3. Apparently half of Hoppers could be running around in the gfl for west next year. If the Carsons brother have signed at west keep an eye on them as they are guns in any league.
Hoppers wont be accepted into the gfl as the league actually want to drop it to 10 teams so everybody can play eachother twice. Apparently st albans, west, newtown and leopold have 12 months to prove why they should stay in the gfl for 2008. not just judged on team performance, but off field, facilities, juniors and netball as well.

I nearly left at 3/4 time, was freezing cold & by the way they were playing, didn't think Sth had the character to get back. Geez was I wrong!
Joeys had it......then snatched it.

lions_man1 said:

when you make statements ensure they are correct hoppers beat wests by 12 goals after beating lara the week before by 15 goals may be you umpired the seconds match. hoppers would be competitive **if addmitted**so lets wait and see result of the meetings as arranged by gfl
in next week or so '' NEVER IS A LONG TIME''

SWANNEES said:
when you make statements ensure they are correct hoppers beat wests by 12 goals after beating lara the week before by 15 goals may be you umpired the seconds match. hoppers would be competitive **if addmitted**so lets wait and see result of the meetings as arranged by gfl
The only way a team from Werribee way would get into the GFL is if the Werribee Tigers from the VFL decided to drop back a grade. There is not a hope that Hoppers would get into the GFL let alone be competitive. Get real buddy GFL is the best standard of footy in Country Victoria! Any of this years top 5 teams would account for Hopppers without breaking a sweat! Your claim to fame is that Hoppers have beaten West and Lara, both those sides won about 5 games between them. You wouldn't get near the big guns of this competition ie: South Barwon, St Joeys, Bell Park & St Marys. From now on just post in a Hoppers Crossing section, cause nobody from this section wants to read your fantasy "wish-list" posts!

when was this when they beat Lara by 15 goals, i hope your not talkin about a practise game in 2005 because i think you'll find it was only a goal difference at end of the final stanza. Anyway all this hoppers talk is nonsense, now that the premierships have been won and lost we move on to discussion about off season transfers, i see frank fopiani has quit as coach at st.marys, what local clubs could be chasing him? also hear a few boys from the bfl clubs like ammos are looking to make the switch from gfl, anyone heard any whispers?

michael "tinsel" sleeman is definately heading to the snakepit in '07 also rumors of james allan going back after a stint at werribee are incorrect he is heading to south australia...

another loud whisper going around is john fitzgerald from joeys to coach bell park next year. only 3 people in geelong including the coach himself actually know the identity as young pres has stated it will be named thursday nite but j.f. is the good word...

tommahawk_07 said:
michael "tinsel" sleeman is definately heading to the snakepit in '07 also rumors of james allan going back after a stint at werribee are incorrect he is heading to south australia...

another loud whisper going around is john fitzgerald from joeys to coach bell park next year. only 3 people in geelong including the coach himself actually know the identity as young pres has stated it will be named thursday nite but j.f. is the good word...
Tommahawk I was actually out on Sunday night and saw several of the Bell Park big names having dinner with Blake Caracella. Around the table was Talarico, Armstrong, Lowther, Johnstone and Blair Robertson. Could be something in it. I know Bell Park had their vote count day so perhaps Caracella was down to meet a few of the lads. They all seemed very chummy! Don't be surprised if this is the case.
However my mail coming out of South Barwon is that John Fitzgerald actually told a few of his ex south players after Saturdays game that he has got the Bell Park job. So i think actually a few more than 3 might know this.

:cool: Dont you love this time of year! What happens, Happens!! What doesnt, doesnt!!
We all talk to players some come some dont but if you dont try you never get anywhere

Rusty-Coach said:
Dont you love this time of year! What happens, Happens!! What doesnt, doesnt!!

B**GY get on here

Hmmm, interesting choice of a username...

How did everyones B&F's finish up?

Bell Park's was:

Seniors - Ben Armstrong

Reserves - Matt Ubergang

U18's - Hugh Hanlon

Anyone know any others...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SWANNEES said:

Hey.. this could possibley happen. The GFL were eager to get the Ballarat FC into the comp last year. It was Ballarat's decision to play in the Bendigo league... not Football Geelong's.

WildJohn said:
Tommahawk I was actually out on Sunday night and saw several of the Bell Park big names having dinner with Blake Caracella. Around the table was Talarico, Armstrong, Lowther, Johnstone and Blair Robertson. Could be something in it. I know Bell Park had their vote count day so perhaps Caracella was down to meet a few of the lads. They all seemed very chummy! Don't be surprised if this is the case.
However my mail coming out of South Barwon is that John Fitzgerald actually told a few of his ex south players after Saturdays game that he has got the Bell Park job. So i think actually a few more than 3 might know this.

Surely Caracella wouldn't play footy again. He was almost crippled by the neck injury he sustained this year. Way too risky...

Also, would Fitzy be taking any players from Joeys to Bell Park? Can you confirm anything YP?

What is going on at Bell Park? They have been talking things up like they have some high profile AFL standard coach for the last 2 months then sign Fitzy. First they were very close to James Byrne as coach but he had a falling out with someone their and pulled out. They decided to throw a bit of coin at Riccardi but that was never going to happen. They chased Nathan Saunders hard but he decided to go to West. The dragons have been talking themselves up as always but are finding that money cant buy you everything

if the likes of Riccardi, Saunders and others are looking to play GFL all clubs would be chasing and throwing big money at these players
other teams throw bigger money round and didnt finish much higer than bp

some clubs have a operating budgets that has to be stuck to too survive good on those who can spend big must have good sponsers or pokies

Whispers said:
Surely Caracella wouldn't play footy again. He was almost crippled by the neck injury he sustained this year. Way too risky...

Also, would Fitzy be taking any players from Joeys to Bell Park? Can you confirm anything YP?

As I have the upmost respect for you Whispers and your posts I'll tell you all I know...

At a meeting about 2 weeks ago Peter Burke addressed the playing group to say that they had enlisted a coach for 2007. He made three points during this address:

1. The coach would not be announced until 28.9.06 and is known only to 3 people.

2. The excitement he had for this person was unfathomable. He highlighted the fact that the mere mention of the persons name will create a rush of people to jump on the Dragon Wagon.

3. More than likely the person will be a full time coach not playing coach (Talbot is staying as a player, may not have appreciated the idea of a player telling him what to do)

Since then rumours have abounded to who the coach is with names such as Steve Kretiuk to todays one Blake Caracella popping up. I'll say right now Blake will not be our coach. He is in fact Dan Lowther's girlfriends brother in law. The name that has popped up a fair bit is John Fitzgerald. From what i've heard he will be bringing an U18 coach with him if he does come. As for bringing across some Joeys players, there is one former Bell Park junior who i'm sure will be welcomed back ;) . The thing is I don't much about him and he wouldn't quite live up to my point 2. The other name thrown around, Peter Riccardi is more interesting. Two people have asked him whether he is coaching Bell Park, one of them being Tristan Lynch and both times he has just smiled and winked. This is pretty much all I know and for that matter all anyone in Geelong knows except the chosen 3. Should be a very interesting night Thursday. And be assured I will let the Big Footy faithful know on Thursday night...

Young Pres said:
As I have the upmost respect for you Whispers and your posts I'll tell you all I know...

At a meeting about 2 weeks ago Peter Burke addressed the playing group to say that they had enlisted a coach for 2007. He made three points during this address:

1. The coach would not be announced until 28.9.06 and is known only to 3 people.

2. The excitement he had for this person was unfathomable. He highlighted the fact that the mere mention of the persons name will create a rush of people to jump on the Dragon Wagon.

3. More than likely the person will be a full time coach not playing coach (Talbot is staying as a player, may not have appreciated the idea of a player telling him what to do)

Since then rumours have abounded to who the coach is with names such as Steve Kretiuk to todays one Blake Caracella popping up. I'll say right now Blake will not be our coach. He is in fact Dan Lowther's girlfriends brother in law. The name that has popped up a fair bit is John Fitzgerald. From what i've heard he will be bringing an U18 coach with him if he does come. As for bringing across some Joeys players, there is one former Bell Park junior who i'm sure will be welcomed back ;) . The thing is I don't much about him and he wouldn't quite live up to my point 2. The other name thrown around, Peter Riccardi is more interesting. Two people have asked him whether he is coaching Bell Park, one of them being Tristan Lynch and both times he has just smiled and winked. This is pretty much all I know and for that matter all anyone in Geelong knows except the chosen 3. Should be a very interesting night Thursday. And be assured I will let the Big Footy faithful know on Thursday night...

The word around the grand final on saturday was that GWSP had their 'traditional' luncheon where it was announced Chris Gilham is coach with Riccardi assistant. Photos and article should be in paper this week. Apparently the word is they announced Paul and Dale Carson from Hoppers Crossing also playing as well as Scott Faulkner and Nathan Saunders. Dyer staying as a player. They might actually be alright

there is a bit of hype coming out of a small town in the GDFL
the boys are keen and the recruiting is going well
Get on board

I didn't realise I was one of the chosen three Young Pres!

Because I do know for a fact that John Fitzgerald is coaching Bell Park next year.

rocky17 said:
I didn't realise I was one of the chosen three Young Pres!

Because I do know for a fact that John Fitzgerald is coaching Bell Park next year.

Neither did I Rocky!!

I assume you have heard it straight from the horses mouth and in that case I think the Bell Park hierarchy will be very disappointed. In the case that Fitzy is the new Bell Park coach can we expect to see you and Whispers pulling on the green and white stripes next year?

Although practice match form isn't 100% accurate, Hoppers have never been beaten by a GFL side in practice match.

They also beat Lara in a practice match the year Lara last won the flag (2002 at a guess????).

Hoppers would finish 4-7 area on the ladder and would be competitive. Also building 3.8 million dollar clubrooms in the next 12 monthes so from all accounts GFL executive are keen!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back