Local Geelong Leagues Thread (GFL/BFL/GDFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all depends really... I have heard that Lara and Geelong West have said that they aren't going to share their profits from the gate, canteen, bar etc with the other clubs who play there, even if they are named as the 'home team'. On the other hand, Colac have said that every second week they will share their profits with both home and away sides.

If this is the situation, then I'm sure West will be able to afford the watering program that they have in mind. Maybe even ask for more money from their past players....
Thought i would take this opportunity to state some actual facts!
1) To install 2 tanks, plumb them to sprinklers, continually fill will imported water as West has done costs over $40,000.
2) Yes, west did talk to Joeys and Newtown about making a small payment towards the initial outlay, however
3) If these clubs did contribute they were basically going to be allowed tenant rights until their grounds were right. Tenant rights included complete gate, beer booth and canteen takings on their 'home' games.

Obviously both clubs refused, possibly in the hope they would get help from elsewhere. Now neither club has their ground on the list from council to be fixed. These clubs will be looking for somewhere to play.
The question i ask is why should clubs like West and Lara who have fronted costs themselves be expected to allow other clubs to use their facilities without helping with the cost? Also, why do some clubs think they have a right to expect clubs to help them by allowing them somewhere to play, when they dont help themselves!

or even ask some of their current players with the amount some of them are getting paid...
Somebody from Bell Park shouldnt be making too many comments on what players at other clubs are getting paid. I am sure west have a couple guys who Bell Park offered much more too.
I think its a sign that some are getting worried that as soon as West picks up some very good players, people say they are throwing huge $$$ around. I can assure you West are paying less than you think.

Somebody from Bell Park shouldnt be making too many comments on what players at other clubs are getting paid. I am sure west have a couple guys who Bell Park offered much more too.
I think its a sign that some are getting worried that as soon as West picks up some very good players, people say they are throwing huge $$$ around. I can assure you West are paying less than you think.

sorry to upset you rooster but 1. i am not from bell park so i can't comment on the battle to sign the same players, and 2. i heard straight from the horses mouth what a couple of them are being paid. Also noting these boys only play for money and have always gone for the highest bid. good luck to them and the club but, showing the money ain't going to bring team unity is what i am saying...

Thought i would take this opportunity to state some actual facts!
1) To install 2 tanks, plumb them to sprinklers, continually fill will imported water as West has done costs over $40,000.
2) Yes, west did talk to Joeys and Newtown about making a small payment towards the initial outlay, however
3) If these clubs did contribute they were basically going to be allowed tenant rights until their grounds were right. Tenant rights included complete gate, beer booth and canteen takings on their 'home' games.

Obviously both clubs refused, possibly in the hope they would get help from elsewhere. Now neither club has their ground on the list from council to be fixed. These clubs will be looking for somewhere to play.
The question i ask is why should clubs like West and Lara who have fronted costs themselves be expected to allow other clubs to use their facilities without helping with the cost? Also, why do some clubs think they have a right to expect clubs to help them by allowing them somewhere to play, when they dont help themselves!

Why should Geelong West have to pay for a watering system for a ground that the Geelong Council owns? West Oval (dare I say it) is the second best football ground in Geelong and what have the council done to support he watering. Surely they have contributed funds to the club and league. You also say a 'small payment' from Joeys and Newtown.. what is a 'small payment'? If there isn't much of a profit between the 'small payment' and the takings at the gate/bar/canteen, whats the point?? They'd rather spend their money on better investments.

West and Lara are in the position to dictate to the other clubs what they want because it isn't compulsary to subsidise the profits on match day. The league should step in and negotiate with all clubs on the payments of the watering expenses and then talk about the profit making situation.

Thought i might throw up a bit of a new disussion.

What about everyone's thoughts on what is the BEST AND WORST GROUNDS TO PLAY AT in and around Geelong.

I'll kick it off.

WORST

Well there are a few Corio was always a fun place. Locking you gear up in you car instead of leaving it in the change rooms.

I always hated playing at Modawarre. Crap ground on a slope ( although the surface has improved) but it was always one of wet, cold or windy.

Ocean Grove worst away change rooms in the history of football.

BEST

Well Queens Park the old home ground is a favorite (sorry i'm biased there).

But of other teams i always enjoyed playing at Portarlington, great sized ground, good surface and lovely setting and good change rooms.

What about everyone's thoughts on what is the BEST AND WORST GROUNDS TO PLAY AT in and around Geelong.

I'll kick it off.

WORST

Well there are a few Corio was always a fun place. Locking you gear up in you car instead of leaving it in the change rooms.

I always hated playing at Modawarre. Crap ground on a slope ( although the surface has improved) but it was always one of wet, cold or windy.

BEST

But of other teams i always enjoyed playing at Portarlington, great sized ground, good surface and lovely setting and good change rooms.

Newtown: Shared showers with the opposition!

Interesting to see in the Colac Herald that Micah Buchanan is at Box Hill, Andrew Kelly to East Perth and now Jake McGuane training at Geelong. How will Colac fair this year considering they were such an up and coming young team last year? i hear they have picked up winchelseas best 2 players in league runner up b/f waynewright and club b/f leak. How does everyone think they will go?

wainwright is staying at winch. leak has gone but he never won a club b/f at winch.

I'll kick it off.

WORST

BEST

Queens park is a ****hole wen wet it just turns to sloshy mud and u also have to shower with half the ********as there afta the match:thumbsdown: I wouldnt have that in the best grounds..The best would be Portarlington and Drysdale wen up and running...

Queens park is a ****hole wen wet it just turns to sloshy mud and u also have to shower with half the ********as there afta the match:thumbsdown: I wouldnt have that in the best grounds..The best would be Portarlington and Drysdale wen up and running...

I will agree with you about the mud. But as i said it was my home ground so i am biased. We are all entitled to our opinions.

I will agree with you about Port though.

I'll kick it off.

WORST

BEST

Always enjoyed umpiring at Drysdale and Port, but Queens Park and Sth Barwon are pretty good grounds when in good nick...as for the worst, Modda and Corio tussling it for a draw, but Anakie, Winch and St. Mary's get dishonourable mentions...and Leopold, lol has got more sand than O.G. beach

Always enjoyed umpiring at Drysdale and Port, but Queens Park and Sth Barwon are pretty good grounds when in good nick...as for the worst, Modda and Corio tussling it for a draw, but Anakie, Winch and St. Mary's get dishonourable mentions...and Leopold, lol has got more sand than O.G. beach

my mate works for the shire with the parks and gardens he was saying to me a couple of days ago that anglesea, lara and corio are buy far the best grouds in geelong they will be perfect in 5 to 6 weeks and anakies is probably the worst they dont think anakie will get a game on there ground this year even if does poor down with rain theres no grass out there at all aparently said all the others are pritty much the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) Dean Talbot
2) Terry Bright
3) Frank Fopiani

Justify Dean Talbot Tomma. Speaking to a few of the Bell Park boys and they rate John Fitzgerald a better coach in reference to one on one discusions. They said that the sessions and training is similar but there is a lot more team orientated activities. Also, looking at Bell Park's list compared to their position on the ladder last year, they under acheived and usually thats an indication that the coach wasn't doing his job.

Tomma, why are your reasons for Talbot???

I have heard that his cross training during the pre seasons was first class! Did you enjoy the bike riding and his open water swim sessions???

just a great all round coach always willing to compromise for peoples differences and his ability to sacrifice his own game to shut down an opponent is top shelf...

will be sadly missed at the helm by many at hamlyn park but not all...

corio's actual ground is ok but the rooms and the shared showers are scary.

Didnt tom harriot win the coach of the year award?
Was this because he is a good coach or he had a great side?

Grounds i liked playing on

St Peters
* played all my junior football there
* played all my gaelic football for geelong there
* played all my cricket there

St Marys
Newtown
Ammos Queens Park

Grounds I hated

Corio
North Shore
Werribee Centrals
Modda
Grovedale

I have heard good things about Darrly. HAs he previously coached GFL?

Is the jury out on Gilham at a higher level? Is he out at west this year and how do you think he will go with the big recruits they have gained?

I have heard good things about Darrly. HAs he previously coached GFL?

Is the jury out on Gilham at a higher level? Is he out at west this year and how do you think he will go with the big recruits they have gained?

The jury is defintely not out on Gillo. He is not only a great footballer (will be an excellent player gfl level) but there is no better bloke playing local footy.
People forget that Gilham was a very good player at VFL level before he ventured overseas and basically did what he liked at gdfl football.

West Saints will love Gillo and the players will work hard for him there is no doubt about that....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back