Ranking the Forwards

1. Port
Tredrea
Cornes
Burgoyne
Burgoyne
Pickett
Dew

Clearly the most exciting forward line in the competition, the Power has class both in the air and when the ball hits the deck in the forward 50. Tredrea is the key target, his physicality compliments an athletic leading game which makes him very hard to match up on. Whilst not the best kick for goal, he can still kick a bag. He also gives off his fair share too. Cornes is the unconventional Full Forward of the side and once again he great on the lead and his marking is first class. However like Tredrea he prefers to give off more goals than kick them, so effectively they have two Centre Half Forwards. I’d hate to see a natural Full Forward play for this side! P Burgoyne looks like being groomed as a midfielder but in the pocket he is extremely dangerous. A good mark for his size and extremely quick and skilful, he’s quite simply too good for most back pockets. S Burgoyne is much of the same, but looks more flexible at either end of the ground with his advantage in height. He looks to have the most potential of the two. Byron Pickett was a bargain pickup for the Power, explosive, strong and capable of the long bomb or miraculous goal. Dew was almost a forgotten man in 2003, but like Pickett kicks plenty of goals from a range of distances. With him fit and firing in 04, the Power once again look to have the most formidable front 6 in the competition.

2. Brisbane
Lynch
Brown
Bradshaw
Akermanis
McRae
Brennan

With such a supreme midfield Brisbane’s forwards are often the forgotten heroes in victory.
Lynch is the strongest forward in the game, and his leading and goalkicking accuracy have not waned in his twilight years. As many people have said before, he seems to be getting better the longer he goes. His pupil Jonny Brown doesn’t lack anything in the size or strength department either. He is still a young player who has simply modeled his game on Carey and it is so far so good. A consistent, quality season from him and things start to look even scarier up at the Gabba. Bradshaw has remodeled his career in defence however with such a strong backline already, he can afford to move forward and act as the all important 3rd marking option to really stretch opposing backlines. McRae is one of the most underrated crumbing forwards in the league, he has excellent running ability and an eye for goal, not to mention years of experience at Lynchs feet. With McGrath coming through the ranks he also has some healthy competition for his spot. Finally the enigma that is Brennan sits on the fringes waiting for his chance. Still extremely raw, he has undoubted potential and may be the man to fill Lynchs shoes when he finishes up. I think he may be a backman though just quietly.

3. Essendon
Lloyd
Bolton
Cupido
Solomon
Ramanauskas
Mercuri
The Bombers edge out the Pies - just - by virtue of having the best forward in the league – Matthew Lloyd. Lloyds record speaks for itself, quite simply in a game that no longer relies on large contributions from full forwards he still continues to set the standard year in year out with both amount of goals and accuracy and in my opinion he is Essendons best and most important player. Supporting him at Centre Half Forward is Bolton, a young player still learning the caper but not one to take a backward step. He is very much a role player and not your high marking target. He may just be warming this position until Richards develops a bit more. Cupido is the cream on the cake and when he is on, he is on. Like many smaller forwards he battles with consistency and sometimes concentration but the talent is there to have a great career at Windy Hill. Solomon has surprised me with his adaptability to play a number of roles and I think he plays the forward flank role very well. He is more skilled than he looks and his attack on the ball is first rate. Ramanuaskas is another who plays a flank exceptionally well, which I expect more of as he eases into his return into football. Class is the best way to describe his game, very good skills, aerobic capacity and football brain. Mercuri is the final piece at the feet of Lloyd and although he is a shadow of his former self, hes a very handy player for the opposition to ‘forget about’. Knows where the goals are, great skills, experience.

4. Collingwood
Tarrant
Rocca
Didak
O'Bree
Lockyer
Davis

5. Adelaide
Carey
Welsh
Stevens
Burton
Bode
Burns

6. Sydney
Hall
Doyle
Davis
O'Loughlin
Schneider
O'Keefe

7. St Kilda
Gehrig
Riewoldt
Hamill
Goddard
Guerra
Milne

8. Richmond
Richardson
Ottens
Brown
Rogers
Rodan
Krakour

9. West Coast
McDougall
Gaspar
Matera
Embley
Sampi
Chick

10. Fremantle
Longmuir
Polak
Farmer
Medhurst
Waterhouse
Schammer

11.Hawthorn
Thompson
Holland
Brown
Barker
Barlow
Ladson

12. Kangaroos
Rocca
Petrie
McKernan
Jones
Harding
Wells

13. Melbourne
Neitz
Robertson
Green
Jolly
Walsh
Armstrong

14.Carlton
Fevola
Whitnall
Houlihan
Morrell
Fisher
McGrath

15. Geelong
Kingsley
McCarthy
Riccardi
Chapman
Mooney
Johnson

16. Bulldogs
Rawlings
Bandy
Giansiracusa
Koops
Garlick
Eagleton

I'd have Motlop in the forward line for North rather than Wells.

He adds a bit of a freak factor as well as a bit more aerial strength as he is very good overhead.

Probably agree with ranking the North forward line at 12 (maybe a bit low as we never really seem to have much trouble scoring) but I'd have them with a bullet. Lots of good youngsters in there and once Hamish McIntosh settles at Full Forward, they will be very dangerous in a few years time.

Originally posted by Lockyer24
Ranking the Forwards

16. Bulldogs
Rawlings
Bandy
Giansiracusa
Koops
Garlick
Eagleton

Koops mainly plays HBF and Eagleton never plays forward he plays in the midfield and Johnson will play as much forward as midfield

Add Faulkner, Bowden and probably Walsh to the Bulldogs.

Remove Eagleton(Midfield or Werribee-regressive move for him to be a full time half forward), Garlick (Werribee) and Koops (Backline). Danny G and Johnson will also rotate a fair bit between forward and midfield. Cooney will also make an appearance this season.

Ranking the Forwards

4. Collingwood
Tarrant
Rocca
Didak
O'Bree
Lockyer
Davis

??

Taz and Rocca are guns, but the rest (maybe excluding Didak) are just players IMO.

For Davis to make the 6 highlights this IMO.

North's in 2004:

Petrie
McKernan
Motlop
Jones
Harding
Grant

Desperately needs another 6'2+ leading target (Shore, Hamish fingers crossed) but we never have trouble kicking goals. Grant should spend the bulk of his time forward.

Ranking the Forwards

8. Richmond
Richardson
Ottens
Brown
Rogers
Rodan
Krakour

Take away Rogers and add Zantuck and the Tigers should be nudging top 4

Re: Re: Locks ranks the Forward Lines

Originally posted by NorthBhoy
Taz and Rocca are guns, but the rest (maybe excluding Didak) are just players IMO.

For Davis to make the 6 highlights this IMO.
I strongly doubt they'll ever line up like that. Collingwood generally play a 5 man forward line. Fraser will be there regularly. Buckley or Burns will be there a fair bit also. Last season Burns spent some up forward. In general we have a thin forward line though. Nick Davis was a big loss as a small/medium sized danerous forward. Tom Davidson has a huge chance to grab a 3rd tall spot. Hopefully they'll change the rules and we'll trade O'Bree to club that doesn't know he's slow and can't kick.

Lekkas not forward for the Hawks? Kicked 30+ in 2003. Dixon also forward.
Barlow played back most of the season and probably will this year too.

Would definitely have Brisbane No.1. Awesome with Lynch and Brown, let alone Akermanis down there.
Richmond much lower than 8th if Brown plays mid-field as expected.
West Coast too high at 9 also. Strength is in their mid-field.
Carlton may have an OK forward line if Whitnall comes up.

9. West Coast
Hunter
McDougall
Matera
Embley
Sampi
Chick

10. Fremantle
Longmuir
Polak
Farmer
Medhurst
Waterhouse
Schammer

[/QUOTE]

I cant see this.

6. Sydney
Hall
Doyle
Davis
O'Loughlin
Schneider
O'Keefe

6 now Locks, hmmmmmm we have the 6th best forward line and the 11th best midfield delivering the Swans to the top four last year. Man, must we have been lucky lucky that's for sure. Makes SENSE doesn't it.

I'd have us comfortably ahead of Adelaide and Essendon and slightly behind Collingwood.

Can't wait to see the backline...........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

16. Bulldogs
Rawlings
Bandy
Giansiracusa
Koops
Garlick
Eagleton

some effort. 2 out of 6 - bandy and rawlings.

try:

Rawlings
Bandy
Johnson
Bowden
Faulkner / Cooney
Darcy / Street

and if thats a 16th ranked forward line, Ill eat your hat

Re: Re: Locks ranks the Forward Lines

Originally posted by ACT exile

9. West Coast
Hunter
McDougall
Matera
Embley
Sampi
Chick

10. Fremantle
Longmuir
Polak
Farmer
Medhurst
Waterhouse
Schammer

I cant see this.

Agreed. West Coast clearly have one of the most ****ful forward lines in the league

Re: Re: Re: Locks ranks the Forward Lines

Originally posted by Porthos
Agreed. West Coast clearly have one of the most ****ful forward lines in the league

The short people can play, but Hunter?

I honestly don't know who that is.......

Well, he's not a real forward for a start. Kicked 4 goals for the year and averaged around 9 possessions.

013555am.jpg

Swans ahead of Essendon Forwards.... LOL No, Actually ROFL

Mate, your lot tail off pretty quickly after Lloyd these days, still capable of delivering sure, but not as consistently as a year or two back.

Maybe comfortably is overstating it but I'd still back our spread of talent over the Bombers at the moment. One superstar FF does not a forward line make.

Ahh, but you see, I dont follow the Dons, Actually I hate em alot.

It is just that the truth is that they have a far superior forward line to the Swans. I had no problem with the 9th place my team (Hawks) was given by Locks. We kick alot of goals from the midfield. Our forward line is about middle in the comp.

Swannies had a good year last year.. Lets see if they can back it up in 2004.

You are looking through rose coloured glasses my friend.

Re: Re: Re: Locks ranks the Forward Lines

Originally posted by Porthos
Porthos...we finally agree on something....West Coast has a Sh^& house Forward line. Their mid field kicked most of their goals last hear.

PS...having you been chewing your food 150 times Porthos?????

we dont have a spread of Tallent in Essendons forward which is good...

Cupido - Tallllllllent
Hird - also tallent
Rioli - tallent
Haynes - Tallent
Reynolds Tallent
Johns - Maybe tallent
Richards - Tallent
Bolton - less tallent :D
Lucas - when he makes an appearence is Tallent

Originally posted by floppinab
Mate, your lot tail off pretty quickly after Lloyd these days, still capable of delivering sure, but not as consistently as a year or two back.

Maybe comfortably is overstating it but I'd still back our spread of talent over the Bombers at the moment. One superstar FF does not a forward line make.

tail off??

cupido 40 goals
hird [reasonable performer]
rioli
lucas
bolton
solomon
mercuri

plus lloyd = easily the 2nd or 3rd best in the league

Originally posted by bLuEMoOsE
we dont have a spread of Tallent in Essendons forward which is good...

Cupido - Tallllllllent
Hird - also tallent
Rioli - tallent
Haynes - Tallent
Reynolds Tallent
Johns - Maybe tallent
Richards - Tallent
Bolton - less tallent :D
Lucas - when he makes an appearence is Tallent

Don't forget Laycock the wait will be worth it trust me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Locks ranks the Forward Lines

Remove this Banner Ad

Back