Lodden Valley Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having travelled up from Melbourne to see the past 2 LVFL Grand Finals was disappointed I could not make it up again over the weekend. Just a very loose connection with Calivil and keep a watching brief on them.

Can anyone point me to a detailed match report anywhere - only been able to find the quick report in the Advertiser so far - who were the better players etc?

Thanks

I dissagree except for injuries at the wrong time of the year Newbridge would have been a much better side... a side that would have performed much better with a fit Brad Comer & losing their ruckman in the first final didnt help their chances either !

I would even suggest that the loss would even spur Newbridge on.
They will be a side to be reckoned with next year !

I dissagree except for injuries at the wrong time of the year Newbridge would have been a much better side... a side that would have performed much better with a fit Brad Comer & losing their ruckman in the first final didnt help their chances either !

You are a deadset tool typical newbridge trying to find excuses for them being rolled by a better side

Its hard to compete with grand final experience. I can't imagine the of confidence you would get from going into a grand final, having played in the last 4 and winning all of them...

Time a few other teams take a look at the way Calivil prepare themselves and see what they can learn.

Matt Keating had a two hour interview for the YCW job last week, does he have the recruiting power, top block, well liked around the club, the may be able to retain afew with him, will McCormick stay and play if Keating coaches??? McCormick (YC) and Shevlin (Newbridge) said to be starring on the biggest loser next year!!!

I'm the biggest newbridge critic out there, but there is no doubt that they should have won the flag this year. As good as Calivil were no side in the LVFL would have been able to compete with Newbridge at full strength. I reckon they had 7 - 10 genuine senior footballers miss out through injury by the end of the season. But in saying that Calivil had a shocking run of injuries during the year as well and the overall eveness of their side shone through and is the reason they won the flag.

It's the old saying a champion team will always beat a team of champions. Newbridge put all their eggs in one basket (paying a heap of cash) and it came crashing down in the finals.

Couple of gutsy calls playing injured blokes in the finals and that didn't work either. Is Dyer going to hang around?

Yeah the calival coach even mentioned that in his speech on Saturday saying that Newbridge were ravaged by injury.

From what I here though Frank your info about forking out heaps of cash at Newbridge is way off the mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

happy to agree to disagree olddog, i think you'll find that they did spend a fair bit for the season.

Guess unless we are on the commitee of a club we will never know Frank. We can only rely on word on the street.

From outsider looking in Both Calival and Newbridge had a lot of locals playing.

Newbridge spine of Lakey, Comer, Mildren, Daniel Bourke, Ralton, Shevlin, all played junior footy out there and there families have been associated out there for decades.

Word on street is Ash Wilson is coaching in LV next year.

Good question.. Mentally they are so far ahead of the competition its not funny..

The hope for all clubs going up against Calivil, is that the mental side is their only real strength. By their own admission they are not the most talented side. Have a look at this year; they lacked a high quality ruckman as well as a forward capable of kicking 70+ goals. Their strength has been built over many years and clearly revolves around player retention, depth, and a real sense of 'mateship'.

I think the last 2 seasons in particular have shown that there are better sides than Calivil, the problem is that no side has been able to maintain or build on the consistency that is required if they want to match Calivil come the pointy end of the season. 5 wins against 5 different opposition proves this. If Newbridge can retain their current group, they pose a much bigger threat next year.

Matt Keating had a two hour interview for the YCW job last week, does he have the recruiting power, top block, well liked around the club, the may be able to retain afew with him, will McCormick stay and play if Keating coaches??? McCormick (YC) and Shevlin (Newbridge) said to be starring on the biggest loser next year!!!

Two hours is ridiculous for any such interview let alone a club stalwart who doesn't really need to prove himself to a recruiting committee. What the hell is discussed that it needs to take 2 hours?

Guess unless we are on the commitee of a club we will never know Frank. We can only rely on word on the street.

From outsider looking in Both Calival and Newbridge had a lot of locals playing.

Newbridge spine of Lakey, Comer, Mildren, Daniel Bourke, Ralton, Shevlin, all played junior footy out there and there families have been associated out there for decades.

Word on street is Ash Wilson is coaching in LV next year.[/quote]

Where abouts olddog?

Billy Grant has been stitched up at Miti for 2008 so he won't be returning to windy flats. I can't see him coaching Inglewood and with Matt Keating seemingly having the YCW job, that leaves only Calivil I think.

Whoever does take on the Calivil job is certainly on a hiding to nothing.

Word on street is Ash Wilson is coaching in LV next year.[/quote]

Where abouts olddog?

Billy Grant has been stitched up at Miti for 2008 so he won't be returning to windy flats. I can't see him coaching Inglewood and with Matt Keating seemingly having the YCW job, that leaves only Calivil I think.

Whoever does take on the Calivil job is certainly on a hiding to nothing.

Hellboy my source mentioned Serp for Ash Wilson as he thinks Wally Maxted might not do the job again.

that would fit in well with serps habit of paying old washed up has beens...he would probably just get dropped to the twos with 5 weeks to go..

have heard that brent dyer has already told newbridge he wont be back.. that might persuade a few players to hang around if what i hear is true

that would fit in well with serps habit of paying old washed up has beens...he would probably just get dropped to the twos with 5 weeks to go..

have heard that brent dyer has already told newbridge he wont be back.. that might persuade a few players to hang around if what i hear is true

And what is it that you've heard Barry? Let me guess, some players didn't like the way things were handled come finals time.

For the long term benefit of the Newbridge Football Club, Dyer must be replaced. Heard him talk during the finals and is very negative and is a very self centred person from what I have been told. Newbridge may well have won with no injuries but that is part of the game. Fact is the backline was far from strong enough, they did not have enough speed around the ground and without Reed Wills and Leon Nixon plus lack of form for Shev the forward line lacked a lot of bite. Sam Mildren would be crazy not to be having a crack at Bendigo League footy is too good to be playing LVFL.

And what is it that you've heard Barry? Let me guess, some players didn't like the way things were handled come finals time.

Holland and McLean wont leave newbridge(did you see his get up on sat)
Have just heard that a few blokes havent seen eye to eye(both 1sts and 2nds)

i know this happens with every coach,but for what ive seen/heard he isnt a good bloke off the field..

dyer had the side to win and wasn't able to get the job done. I've heard that he lost a lot of players during the finals with his approach.

I think a few blokes out at Riverside might be a bit pissed off about how the season finished up and are looking for a fall guy. It may even be fair enough given that both sides finished well clear on top of the ladder and they still walk away with any silverware. I'm sure once they get over it and have a look back, they might find the answer to what went wrong. I call it Calivil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back