LOL - Apparently the AFL wants to kill off the NRL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you wear an AFL jersey around the place, people are correct to question your sexuality. AFL is not an "Australian" sport, it is a "Victorian" sport, QLD/NSW make up 50% of the Australia population, the game is detested in MOST, not all, parts of of these 2 states.

hands down this has to be the dumbest post I have ever read.

I suppose Don Bradman isnt Australian then, since he was only born in NSW.

Please dont drag this thread down to bay 13 level. some of us still want to discuss this like adults.

Who gives a crap? League can survive, thrive or sink to the bottom of the ocean as far as I care. Ditto soccer. And I'm sure they should feel the same way about us. Why should I care if some nuffer in Sydney of Townsville prefers one sport over the other? It's not going to make much difference to my life. And to that why should I care if the bloke next door watches Victory or Storm games? The whole argument is as senseless as worrying that one of your friends drinks bourbon when you like beer.

Seriously people - there is room in the world for all sorts of different sports without getting stupid about it. AFL and Rugby will decide their own futures by the discisions they make, not what the other does.

That said WTF is the go with the NRL trolls hitting AFL boards trying to justify a game we don't care about? Do muppets like 1908 expect us to give up on the AFL and follow the North East Sydney Blowflys because they trolled?

Give them the respect they deserve: A big "Pffffffft! and a couple of these: :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

If you wear an AFL jersey around the place, people are correct to question your sexuality. AFL is not an "Australian" sport, it is a "Victorian" sport, QLD/NSW make up 50% of the Australia population, the game is detested in MOST, not all, parts of of these 2 states.

cough* Ian Roberts*cough

I do note with a certain amount of amusement that with the eels playing the Bulldogs next week in the prelim, that a BLOCKBUSTER crowd of (and get this ) 60 000 people is expected

60 000 people!!! A blockbuster!!! Thats a normal day at the office in the home and away rounds for some AFL clubs.

But hey, I guess a sport that struggles to average 20 000 to their regular season games, then I guess 60 000 is monumental.

crap - there r an increasing number of Swans jumpers around town (not heaps but there r not heaps of league jumpers either). But then again I live in Chablis sipping Inner West.

If you wear an AFL jersey around the place, people are correct to question your sexuality. , QLD/NSW make up 50% of the Australia population, the game is detested in MOST, not all, parts of of these 2 states.
What absolute rubbish.

I love big footy, the standard 'rugby league will die' comments, the 'rugby league is a skilless game' shite etc, all this bravado.
The game is at the best level it has been in years on field wise, after a few boring seasons. Currently the number one footballer across codes in the country, Jarryd Hayne, is tearing it up, and with players like him, Benji Marshall, Robbie Farah, Jamie Soward, Thurston and Lockyer entertaining footy is being played. A game like Rugby Union doesnt have a chance whilst all the attacking football is played in League. A game like AFL, for all its supposed skill, will lose fans in the NSW and Qld areas with the arrogance it displays.

I love big footy, the standard 'rugby league will die' comments, the 'rugby league is a skilless game' shite etc, all this bravado.
The game is at the best level it has been in years on field wise, after a few boring seasons. Currently the number one footballer across codes in the country, Jarryd Hayne, is tearing it up, and with players like him, Benji Marshall, Robbie Farah, Jamie Soward, Thurston and Lockyer entertaining footy is being played. A game like Rugby Union doesnt have a chance whilst all the attacking football is played in League. A game like AFL, for all its supposed skill, will lose fans in the NSW and Qld areas with the arrogance it displays.

Ahhh yes ... the arrogance of the bounce, the haughtiness of the look-away handball, the sheer aloofness of a checkside goal from the boundary, these are the reasons why the Australian game has been held back in NSW & Qld for a century.

Nothing at all to do with rugby loving schoolmasters banning the game.

... Currently the number one footballer across codes in the country, Jarryd Hayne, is tearing it up ... (blah, blah)
Who's he? Which AFL club did he play for? How did he go playing for the socceroos and the Wallabies, in order for you to dub him him "the number one footballer across codes"?
... A game like AFL, for all its supposed skill, will lose fans in the NSW and Qld areas with the arrogance it displays.
So Australian Football only has supposed skills does it - yet these skills are somehow arrogant??
These ever paranoid NewsLtd Rugby supporting trolls are getting even more desperate than ever with their ridiculously meaningless spiels.

You consider AFL to be gay yet you support Fremantle, how does that work? :confused:

A professor knowall would know the difference between rugby and rugby league:)

Hardcore AFL fans are very arrogant about the skill level of their game, putting it on some pedestal above all others, whilst at the same time arrogantly claiming that games like League have little to know school. That is utter shite spoken by people who dont know the game.

Not too mention the arrogance the AFL is showing in their push into the West of Sydney. Or the arrogance they show when they talk about being the 'national game,' despite NSW and Qld, combined having approx half the countries population, being rugby league states.

shouldnt that argument be used to soccer?
it is the world game after all..but they get worse crowds, ratings, sponsorship compared to RL..so is RL is sooo bad..my god Soccer should give up right now

re the bolded part: RL rates the highest in NSW and QLD that is one statistic to show its number 1 by far..

And AFL rates the highest in every other state by a greater margin. So? I thought we were looking at this from an Australian perspective. So, why segment it?

I don't know why these flog bum-sniffing thugby supporters hiding behind the guise of supporting an AFL side haven't been ban already.

Their clap trap is getting tiresome, go and tell the virtues of your wondeful arse poking code to someone who cares. Mod do us all a favour and take out the trash please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardcore AFL fans are very arrogant about the skill level of their game, putting it on some pedestal above all others, whilst at the same time arrogantly claiming that games like League have little to know school. That is utter shite spoken by people who dont know the game.

Not too mention the arrogance the AFL is showing in their push into the West of Sydney. Or the arrogance they show when they talk about being the 'national game,' despite NSW and Qld, combined having approx half the countries population, being rugby league states.

National game because unlike yourself we have a solid presence in the 50% of the country that isn't predominantly AFL supported. We're also expanding into Western Sydney and the Gold Coast to grow the game, this is unlike Leagues notion of growing the game by starting new teams in Toowomba and Wagga Wagga.

What's wrong with us wanting to expand our game and not sit on our laurels rugby league style?

If you are going to complain about the barbs thrown at league, particularly the "skilless game" bit, I'd suggest you don't sink to the same level yourself by implying the same thing about Australian Football:

A game like AFL, for all its supposed skill, will lose fans in the NSW and Qld areas with the arrogance it displays.

The AFL, as well as administering the national competition, looks after the code itself. It would be remiss in its latter duty if it didn't try to expand the game. The problem is that too many Rugby League idiots view this expansion as arrogance or as an "invasion".

I've said this before to those from the RL side of things who whinge and whine about the AFL wanting to grow its code. Look after your own backyard and, if your product is as good as you think it is, there won't be an issue. Because RL will survive and grow on merit, without any need for over-the-top fear-mongering.

You may well whinge about "arrogance", but fair dinkum the hysteria generated from small sections of the Rugby League world about all this makes those concerned (and even the game of League itself at times) look imbecilic and utterly paranoid in comparison.

Who's he? Which AFL club did he play for? How did he go playing for the socceroos and the Wallabies, in order for you to dub him him "the number one footballer across codes"?
He won the Dally M award here (the RL Brownlow equivalent I guess). Great player, but you are right, an idiotic call to label him as the best footballer across all codes. How can you take a poster seriously when they post rubbish like that?

He brilliantly reinforces one stereotype of RL players though - the bloke can hardly put a sentence together. They need to give him elocution lessons if they are going to keep putting a microphone under his nose post-game.

as opposed to the arrogance of a sport which rams its code down the throat of uninterested mebournites by starting up the melbourne storm, or the arrogance of calling itself "the greatest game of all" when its actually a recognized sport in half of australia and the north of england

honestly, this charge of "arrogance" the AFL has from scared leaguies is just ridiculous...if the NRL wasnt owned by a media company and run by incompetants it would be doing PRECISELY the same thing as the AFL... promoting itself and expanding. its not arrogant, its called being well-run

as for AR being more skilled than league.... well it is. but thats just the requirements of the game. soccer is more skilled again, and league is a way tougher sport than either. thats not opinion, iv played all those games and other football codes too and its fact: soccer is about endurance, foot speed and high skill with the boot, AFL is the same only with a tough full contact element, less skill required with the boot and more with the hand, league and union are about the toughness and leg speed of the competitor, some skill required but nothing like controlling a round ball with just your feet.

its not putting AFL up on a pedestal, its statement of fact. league is tougher than AR, and AR is more highly skilled.

Yes you're right I'm extremely embarrassed.:eek:

Just for you News Ltd hijacked RL purely to drive their payTV subscriptions. Do some research I'm sick of repeating myself to you clowns.
How could a trashy game like Rugb League drive up pay tv subscriptions you tool???

What a waste of a post.

You all agreed a few posts ago that AFL needs Gimmicks to get people to watch the game.

You can talk about 100 Billion Trillion Hours, yet in Sydney you would be lucky to get 20,000 watching an AFL semi final this weekend.

That is the reality no matter how you spin it.
What a waste of a post!

Yeh I agree. There is room for all codes. A new category of footy fan is growing one who has an interest in all codes. You'll still have your favourite code and favourite team but you'll follow the others a bit more than before. Probably will find attendances and television audience for all codes increasing, particularly with increasing population.
No there's not!
Rugby League is a very boring game.
It sucks!

Basically Victorians have an inferiority complex when it comes to sport, mostly because AFL is a game played only in ONE country and support marginalised to only half of that ONE country. It appears the only way they are going to be able to deal with this is if NSW and QLD start playing and supporting their sport - AFL.

Luckily this will never happen. No-one I know cares about AFL in the slightest, and they are happily enjoying Rugby League. The stigma attached to AFL in QLD/NSW is overwhelming, with all sorts of innuendo and a general negativity about the game. Give up Victoria, its never gonna happen. By all means play and enjoy your game but please stop trying to slam your peculiar game down our throats, and let us enjoy ours in peace. Thankyou.
Why have you got Fremantle as your team if you don't like AFL?
You should have put UNLISTED, like all the other RL Tossers!!!

What a waste of a post.
... You can talk about 100 Billion Trillion Hours, yet in Sydney you would be lucky to get 20,000 watching an AFL semi final this weekend.

That is the reality no matter how you spin it.
Well, Ronin was sorta right - there wasn't 20,000 watching the AFL last night (on a late delay). The average was instead 106,000 over the 3 hours. I guess it was a really lucky night.

Also - despite being shown on delay everywhere (including in Melbourne) and only including 2 Melbourne teams, whereas the Newsltd Rugby was shown live in NSW and Qld, and also had teams from both NSW and Qld, the ratings once again show an easy win to the Australian game -

Description Total Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Adelaide Perth
1 AFL: PRELIM FINAL 1: ST KILDA V WESTERN BULLDOG Seven 1,458,000 106,000 808,000 102,000 231,000 209,000
2 SEVEN NEWS Seven 1,320,000 338,000 372,000 279,000 151,000 180,000
3 TODAY TONIGHT Seven 1,106,000 335,000 365,000 269,000 137,000
4 TWO AND A HALF MEN -RPT Nine 1,024,000 278,000 346,000 210,000 84,000 106,000
5 NINE NEWS Nine 1,010,000 276,000 300,000 202,000 118,000 114,000
6 A CURRENT AFFAIR Nine 990,000 262,000 301,000 201,000 106,000 119,000
7 GEORGE GENTLY ABC1 981,000 325,000 226,000 181,000 113,000 136,000
8 RUGBY LEAGUE FINAL SERIES SF1 Nine 937,000 556,000 22,000 320,000 25,000 15,000
9 BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS Seven 932,000 347,000 372,000 213,000
10 ABC NEWS ABC1 811,000 276,000 215,000 150,000 69,000 101,000

Well said Prof... :thumbsu:

NRL could consider moving to summer if they are at risk of losing too much ground, I know ratings season is winter but I think rugby would do okay in the summer, might also get more people out to watch games. Would only have to compete against the D-League and Implodeball.

Wow, you should probably take a seat and catch your breath there buddy. That kind of wit must have been quite an effort for you. Seriously, these topics annoy the hell out of me. They're usually full of idiots who are channeling AFL House's special brand of arrogance that has alienated people like me who actually support more than one code from the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back