Lonergan byrnes on neighbours

Remove this Banner Ad

Article from a few months back:

Cats players fulfill a little neighbourly duty

July 11th, 2008

4bneighbours_%28350_x_233%29.jpg

CAMEO ROLES: Tom Lonergan, back, and Shannon Byrnes, right, join footy legend Tom Hafey as guests on Neighbours, alongside stars Stefan Dennis, left, and Lyle Brooks.Photo: GLENN FERGUSON

GEELONG footballers turned soap stars for the day yesterday.

Shannon Byrnes, Tom Lonergan and legendary VFL premiership coach Tom Hafey were invited to make guest appearances on the popular TV show Neighbours.

Playing themselves, the Cats stars rubbed shoulders with actors and extras at Forest Hill.

"It's been really good fun. There are a lot of takes and it gets a bit cold standing out there but it's been really good," Lonergan said.

The footy stars braved the cold in a long day of filming which ran from 8.30am to late afternoon.

The Neighbours appearance was the first acting experience for both footballers, who agreed to do it as a favour for a friend at Channel 10.

While both footballers indicated the acting stint would probably be their last, Lonergan would not completely rule out a return to the stage or silver screen.

"I would maybe do something similar again if the opportunity came up. We didn't have a big role to play, but it was a bit of fun and gets a bit of interest," he said.

Byrnes said his guest appearance had generated a lot of interest among his friends and family.

"My sister (Jacqui) was more excited about this than about me playing in the grand final last year," he said.

He said he enjoyed his behind-the-scenes glimpse of the popular soap.

"I haven't done any acting before, so it was new to me. It was really interesting seeing how it works," he said.

"I never realised how many takes they do and how much work goes into it. I wanted to do it for the experience so it was really good to be involved."

The episode - expected to air on October 13 at 6.30 pm on Network Ten - casts the footballers as themselves, invited by character Paul Robinson to inspire the Erinsborough Dingoes in their grand final match.

It was completely unexpected, i cracked up when i realised Shannon was standing next to Tom, he really is not a tall individual. Plus the concept of Shannon being some sort of talent scout ... I wonder if that was a deliberate irony ;)

It was completely unexpected, i cracked up when i realised Shannon was standing next to Tom, he really is not a tall individual. Plus the concept of Shannon being some sort of talent scout ... I wonder if that was a deliberate irony ;)

Me thinks Shannon could get a game with the Dingoes........:confused:

well i cant say lonners has got a career in acting after his footy days are up...but shannon at least showed a bit of emotion!

my housemate and i ALWAYS piss ourselves at neighbours, pure comedy gold, night in night out:thumbsu:

wat number is declan going to be drafted??? maybe pick 39;)

Now that's how you play footy! I hope none of the other clubs were watching, because there was some serious talent running around.

I think it is now obvious to everyone:

Pick 15 - Declan Napier
Pick 33 - Ringo Brown
Pick 39 - Zeke Kinski

Special mention to Lonergan and Byrnes who put in flawless acting performances.

Might it be suggested that you both lace up the sneakers soon. ;)

God. :eek::eek::thumbsdown::D

Have you ever witnessed a show that managed to, albeit briefly, obliterate the respect of our game like that. It was just flat- out awkward to watch, the whole atmosphere and culture was so far gone from what really goes on, and it just cannot work when the actors can't play the game for shit. What about when Declan played on in the square and flopped that snap goal that was lucky to even reach the bloody line. AFL material indeed. :p

Kudos to whoever it was that said they didn't spot Shan upon first glance... same here. :thumbsu: Nevertheless, Tom and Shan were the best actors I've seen on that show in a while. I loved the scene when they turned to each other and were clapping attempting to act impressed, they both looked like they were going to erupt into rapturous laughter at any moment. They'll cop it hard from the boys. :D

Just a correction of fact, they said both of them played in a premiership team. Not sure if that was intended or if they got it wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God. :eek::eek::thumbsdown::D

Have you ever witnessed a show that managed to, albeit briefly, obliterate the respect of our game like that. It was just flat- out awkward to watch, the whole atmosphere and culture was so far gone from what really goes on, and it just cannot work when the actors can't play the game for shit. What about when Declan played on in the square and flopped that snap goal that was lucky to even reach the bloody line. AFL material indeed. :p

Kudos to whoever it was that said they didn't spot Shan upon first glance... same here. :thumbsu: Nevertheless, Tom and Shan were the best actors I've seen on that show in a while. I loved the scene when they turned to each other and were clapping attempting to act impressed, they both looked like they were going to erupt into rapturous laughter at any moment. They'll cop it hard from the boys. :D

Just a correction of fact, they said both of them played in a premiership team. Not sure if that was intended or if they got it wrong.
Lonergan VFL perhaps.

In that huddle scene Hafey singled out Tom for his kidney bravery and Shannon as a premiership winning player, I didn't exactly watch the entire segment closely but that was what I saw.

Byrnsie could save children from a burning house fire and you'd still have something negative to say. Buy a mirror you tool!

Hahahaha pfft...........

Wish i could say i gave a **** about what u think.............but i just dont

Buy a sense of humour you tool!!!!!!

Hahahaha pfft...........

Wish i could say i gave a **** about what u think.............but i just dont

Buy a sense of humour you tool!!!!!!

So that was humour - sorry I just didn't get that. You're a funny guy no doubt.
Don't think you can actually buy a sense of humour in contrast to a mirror which you obviously can.
Anyway keep on truckin'.

well i cant say lonners has got a career in acting after his footy days are up...but shannon at least showed a bit of emotion!

my housemate and i ALWAYS piss ourselves at neighbours, pure comedy gold, night in night out:thumbsu:

wat number is declan going to be drafted??? maybe pick 39;)

Same here,it's a cheap laugh!
I must admitt,it cracked me up even more when I saw the guys on the show..
If you guys get Declan for pick 39,I'm gonna be shattered! ;)
Good on em....sounds like they had fun.. :thumbsu:

Zeke Kinski was obviously the best talent out there. Clearance king, and didn't mind a bit of rough stuff. Pick 15 would be a steal.

If anyone did happen to miss this glorious piece of TV history you can catch it again this Sunday on 10HD. They show the entire previous week from 2pm-4pm. Tuesdays episode should start around 220pm. Set your alarm clocks people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lonergan byrnes on neighbours

Remove this Banner Ad

Back