Looking ahead to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love a flag but I’m just enjoying the fact I expect next year to be another year of consistent wins and happy times most weekends. That cannot be understated.

Mostly looking forward to Washy’s return and also tracking Levi’s progress in his draft year.

We’ll feature again in finals and play a role in September. The rest that happens is a mystery.

Is it though? Yet we are looking at Doedee?

As Briztoon highlighted Berry can’t play inside. He’s forced outside. Coffield is a league ahead of Berry in terms of decision making and skill sets.

Berry has a place in the team as a bit of a utility but I’d rather he runs off the bench and we get games into a genuine winger.

I hope we adjust our game style going forward slightly to at least have the options of playing wide if required. We are good at the stoppage and contested game but if opposition can break even in those areas we don't really have anything to fall back on besides slow kick it long to a pack.

Pies had a better game in the contested sense (yeah stats say it was fairly even but they just had much better quality inside game) but had the options and game to cut us up on the outside. We got hammered on transition.
Yeah, it is. He's played 52 games since being drafted six seasons ago, mostly off the half back flank (so not sure where the idea that he's a gun wing comes from?). Never played out an entire season and never fully cemented his spot in a side that's much worse than ours.

We are looking at Doedee and they're both in the same basket, we'd be taking them on as a low risk gamble at getting them fit. Doedee has more runs on the board in terms of exposed form, though.

Coffield is a talented kid and a pretty tidy user so there's definite upside there, but he's not a walk up start nor a "big upgrade" on Berry (or anyone in the B22, honestly. Just not enough exposed form to make that call).

Also worth noting that we were the #1 side for transition throughout the year, so while it wasn't great vs the Pies, it's not exactly an area of massive weakness.

As Briztoon highlighted Berry can’t play inside. He’s forced outside. Coffield is a league ahead of Berry in terms of decision making and skill sets.

Berry has a place in the team as a bit of a utility but I’d rather he runs off the bench and we get games into a genuine winger.

I hope we adjust our game style going forward slightly to at least have the options of playing wide if required. We are good at the stoppage and contested game but if opposition can break even in those areas we don't really have anything to fall back on besides slow kick it long to a pack.

Pies had a better game in the contested sense (yeah stats say it was fairly even but they just had much better quality inside game) but had the options and game to cut us up on the outside. We got hammered on transition.

Coffield hasn't kicked a ball in an AFL game since 2021 so not sure how you can be sure he's leagues ahead of Berry in terms of decision making and skill.

Berry had a bad game and I have no issue with looking for a long-term replacement. Just don't see it with coffield though he'd be worth a punt if he cost us nothing.

Billings I could get around but again, he'd have to cost us nothing in terms of salary and draft pick.

I suspect he will be good to go RE more inside minutes in 2024.

Coffield hasn't kicked a ball in an AFL game since 2021 so not sure how you can be sure he's leagues ahead of Berry in terms of decision making and skill.

Berry had a bad game and I have no issue with looking for a long-term replacement. Just don't see it with coffield though he'd be worth a punt if he cost us nothing.

Billings I could get around but again, he'd have to cost us nothing in terms of salary and draft pick.
Billings I'd take into our system straight up provided it was another no trade off deal. He has talent.

The Saints people I know really rate Coffield . I've got nothing else much to go on but that.

Bez is a mystery. The blah blah from the club is that his body's fine . He's played nearly every game the last 2 years. I don't know why we haven't thrown him into the m/f , he has the experience and the physicality we're looking for but there must be a good reason.

Yeah, it is. He's played 52 games since being drafted six seasons ago, mostly off the half back flank (so not sure where the idea that he's a gun wing comes from?). Never played out an entire season and never fully cemented his spot in a side that's much worse than ours.

We are looking at Doedee and they're both in the same basket, we'd be taking them on as a low risk gamble at getting them fit. Doedee has more runs on the board in terms of exposed form, though.

Coffield is a talented kid and a pretty tidy user so there's definite upside there, but he's not a walk up start nor a "big upgrade" on Berry (or anyone in the B22, honestly. Just not enough exposed form to make that call).

Also worth noting that we were the #1 side for transition throughout the year, so while it wasn't great vs the Pies, it's not exactly an area of massive weakness.
Yeah not saying we aren’t a good transition side. I’m more concerned on our ability to defend the opposition transition when we are breaking even or losing the contested side of the game.

We win the CP and stoppage game opposition don’t really have the ability to set up their game and thus transition game (if they have any decent one). But in almost all of our losers the past few seasons we have either broken even or lost the contested game and are hurt big time on opposition transition and outside game.

I suspect he will be good to go RE more inside minutes in 2024.
I hope that’s right! Shoulder cleanup and hit the gym hard. Would be good to get berry back to full fitness first and foremost. His place in the side is secondary. His shoulder isn’t right and he should focus on getting himself fit and firing.

I hope that’s right! Shoulder cleanup and hit the gym hard. Would be good to get berry back to full fitness first and foremost. His place in the side is secondary. His shoulder isn’t right and he should focus on getting himself fit and firing.

Suspect that'll be the plan. Think he'll be in for a very big pre season and a big 2024.

Billings I'd take into our system straight up provided it was another no trade off deal. He has talent.

The Saints people I know really rate Coffield . I've got nothing else much to go on but that.

Bez is a mystery. The blah blah from the club is that his body's fine . He's played nearly every game the last 2 years. I don't know why we haven't thrown him into the m/f , he has the experience and the physicality we're looking for but there must be a good reason.
He played the second half of last year’s final against Melbourne on Oliver, then went for offseason shoulder surgery. Again.

Call me skeptical anytime the club says he suffered a “stinger” and nothing more.

He played the second half of last year’s final against Melbourne on Oliver, then went for offseason shoulder surgery. Again.

Call me skeptical anytime the club says he suffered a “stinger” and nothing more.
I'm skeptical too simply because he has all the attributes to play M/F and we don't do it.

But people in the inner circle swear blind his shoulder's fine.

Bit of a mystery but if we're not playing him there then he's obviously not 100% to do it. Because he's exactly what we need.

I'm skeptical too simply because he has all the attributes to play M/F and we don't do it.

But people in the inner circle swear blind his shoulder's fine.

Bit of a mystery but if we're not playing him there then he's obviously not 100% to do it. Because he's exactly what we need.
He was on kick ons a couple of times this year and it was talked about a couple of times and you get the impression his shoulders are stuffed.
Can’t do bench press in the gym due to his shoulders and there is probably other exercises he steers clear of as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very excited for 2024. I see no reason why we can't be there again pending injury. The players will be better off for the experience and Fagan is going to have different coaches around him which is also a positive. Fresh ideas. Could be what is needed.
A 19yr 3 month absence.
That’s got to be some sort of record?

Berry has been our best winger for the last 2 years.
He has adapted to the role even though he was an inside mid. Turns 26 in February.
He had an off game in the GF along with our other 2 wingers.
I expect Fletcher to improve next year and overtake Berry as he is a natural winger in my opinion.

Ah Chee filled in as a wing relief and forward when he finally found his way back in the side from round 16.
Ah Chee played a good role, but he is not a pure wing in my opinion. Also subbed out of both the PF & GF.

Sharp will be 21 years old in 2024 and has been in the AFL system for 3 years. He should be ready next year being his contract year.
I think Sharp has to make it at AFL level in 2024 or the club will move to fill his spot on the list.
I would also be thinking of moving Wilmott to wing as i believe we can fill that half back role more easily than wing.

The club tried Tunstill in the preseason and round 1 but he did not look suited to that position.

Coffield i have no idea. If the club thinks he is a good fit that is fine. Hopefully they have someone else in mind though.
Played 4 games for Sandringham this year being R18, 19, 20 & 22.
Disposals: 28, 18, 25, 21
Marks.....: 8, 5, 6, 4
Tackles...: 1, 1, 2, 1
I don't know what position he played in those games.

Berry had his “Alex Witherden” moment in the last quarter of the Grand Final. We need to transition away from him.

I'm excited for 2024.

That loss has to make us want it more.

It hurt at the time but I feel proud of the boys.

It was a great a year and that experience will make 24 better.

Not sure if there is a thread for this, didn't see one so i am bored and doing my best 22

ROUND 1

B: Lester Payne Starcevich
HB: Coleman Andrews Wilmot
C: Fletcher Neale Berry
HF: Rayner Hipwood Bailey
F: Cameron Daniher McCarthy
FOll: McInerney Neale McCluggage
Int: McKenna Fort Roberston Sharp
Sub: Ah Chee
EMERGENCIES: Gardiner / Zorko / Lohmann / Prior
DESTINED TO BE DEPTH ONLY?: Answerth / Joyce / Gunston / Lyons
POTENTIAL BOLTERS: Tunstill / Brain

I think we need to give Fort a go as second ruck and see what it does to the team. If we are struggling for run he can be subbed out. But Sharp in should help us in term of run, with sharp / fletcher / berry to cover some serious ks.

I think by logic and other year won't help Lyons or Gunston so they could both struggle, if they do go on (on good coin so why not).

The only best 22 player likely to struggle is Zorko so that's a good position to be in.

POST BYE

ROUND 1

B: Doedee Payne Starcevich
HB: Coleman Andrews Wilmot
C: Fletcher Neale Berry
HF: Rayner Hipwood Bailey
F: Cameron Daniher McCarthy
FOll: McInerney Neale McCluggage
Int: McKenna Fort Ashcroft Sharp
Sub: Roberston
EMERGENCIES: Lester / Zorko / Lohmann / Ah Chee
DESTINED TO BE DEPTH ONLY?: Answerth / Joyce / Gunston / Lyons / Gardiner / Prior
POTENTIAL BOLTERS: Tunstill / Brain

Obvious 2 inclusions in Doedee and Ashcroft. Some unlucky outs. If there is one player to get back relatively early and be in good touch it is Ashcroft. Can't imagine him being too rusty, will just make sure he gets in all the ball-handling he can. Doedee is the interesting one. Done both knees now. Might be a bit cautious. Suspect he won't start that well but could see him as a weapon in the finals if he comes good, especially if Payne and Andrews are playing alongside him allowing him to take those intercept marks.

There is almost always a player or 2 that surprises and forces someone out. I think Sharp shows all the signs of stepping up and is what we need in terms of run. Lohmann is another obvious one - has the talent and has shown the desire to fight for a spot.

But we are quite a settled team and only bringing in 1 player it seems so it makes sense for not a lot of changes.

There are a lot of players in our best 28 or so players capable of major improvement. And not many who should go backwards.

So what about our rivals?

COLLINGWOOD - haven't seen them getting anyone major. Can their veterans be just as good? Just to suit my argument i will put all of their ages today PLUS ONE as in the age they would be by next year's grand final: Elliott 32yo, Mitchell 31yo, Pendlebury 36yo, Adams 31yo, Sidebottom 33yo, Crisp 31yo, Hoskin-Elliott 31yo, Howe 34yo, Mihocek 31yo, Cox 33yo. The pies just won the flag with the third oldest side ever. The cats smashed the swans with the oldest side ever so age is not bad! But it eventually catches up with you, so it will be interesting to see if injury or form is a factor for collingwood

MELBOURNE - an intriguing one. Doesn't seem to be going well atm but maybe Oliver gets a reality check and improves. Need a key forward and will be a big effort for Melksham to be back and effective by the finals. Petty could be a big effective inclusion. JVR in his third year and has looked handy. Gawn turns 32yo in December still playing very well though. 2 picks inside the top 20 so could get a readymade player. I could see it going either way - they could get their act together and be huge threat, or fall out of real contention.

GWS - Perhaps the most logical big contender for a top 2 spot. Travel exceptionally well. Only Ward at 33yo is the key player who is close to the end. Haynes couldn't even get a game. Also have 2 picks inside the top 20. They will get a top 6 draw which makes it a bit harder. Biggest question will be - can they maintain the incredible run from last year, or was there a honeymoon period in terms of playing for a new coach?

CARLTON - They should effectively get Zac Williams back. Small chance of a McKay for Oliver deal which would be significant for both sides. Appear very tightly constrained by salary cap otherwise and only pick 16 in terms of early picks. No players in the drop-off zone really, although Cripps will fall apart in couple of years given the battering he has copped. Like the giants the big question will be how much was a surge of momentum and how much is replicable form and gameplan?

PORT - honestly who knows? Signed Ken then didn't give a yelp. Surprised to see Boak going around again, he looks cooked. Big worry for them is they have a ripping midfield but not the key parts at either end. Dixon looks to be struggling. But Lord looks very promising and Marshall is very good player. Can they get a decent ruckman AND key defender? I feel as though a lot of close wins made their season look a bit better than it was. They were decent against us but terrible against the giants in the semi. I wouldn't rule them out and don't want to play them at AO but i wouldn't be putting them in my likely top 4.

SWANS - wouldn't rule them out. GRundy will be vital for them. Had some bad injuries last season. Not many players dropping off. Mills a decent loss though. Danger side for sure.

CROWS - weird team to assess. If they had flipped some of their close games the would have been top 4. Great attack but when will Walker drop off? He has just kicked 76 goals so chances are he is good again but some risk. Their midfield is a good player short and they don't seem to be chasing anyone - even though they toweled us up! Dawson is a gun. Laird is very good but limited in what he can do. Keays a tagger. O'Brien like Oscar decent ruckman but no gun. I think in the end their midfield will hold them back from being at the top end.

CATS - can't see them challenging with Hawkins not the player he was and plenty of others the wrong side of 30, but again hoping we don't get them at the cattery

DOGS an interesting watch as their tall talent comes of age, seem to be treading water

SUNS - is this the year? don't think they challenge for the flag but could be an early season bolter

SUNS - is this the year? don't think they challenge for the flag but could be an early season bolter
I am kind of hoping that whatever year the Suns first make their maiden GF appearence that we are not the ones playing them just in case they get the fairy tale treatment a la Dogs 2016 (imagine the angst among the GWS guys if the Suns won one first!)

I
I am kind of hoping that whatever year the Suns first make their maiden GF appearence that we are not the ones playing them just in case they get the fairy tale treatment a la Dogs 2016 (imagine the angst among the GWS guys if the Suns won one first!)
I think the biggest factor was the crowd. it was incredibly one sided. I can't imagine it would be anything like the dogs year. All of victoria wanted the dogs to win - blue collar side who had not won a flag since 1954

I assume some vic supporters would back the suns. i reckon we would get our share. And have way more genuine fans than them.

I

I think the biggest factor was the crowd. it was incredibly one sided. I can't imagine it would be anything like the dogs year. All of victoria wanted the dogs to win - blue collar side who had not won a flag since 1954

I assume some vic supporters would back the suns. i reckon we would get our share. And have way more genuine fans than them.
So not 100k+ in the crowd for the Lions v Suns GF? You would think that there would be more Fitzroy/Lions support among the AFL/MCG membership and in Victoria to at least give us a decent lean on the support front...

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking ahead to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back