Streaming Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

It appears to be a pretty clear outcome from reading the last page that it is Gandalf

In any case that’s not the only lore it’s drifting or re writing from what I have read in the reviews

It’s a shame to use a much love existing IP to sell a show that rewrites its existing lore

Bronwyn quotes a thought Sam has, does that make her Sam?

Galadriel quotes Arwen - does that make her Arwen?

The Istar makes a quote to lead with your nose, does that make him Gandalf?

Is that line more evidence than him going to Ruhn where only the blue wizards and Saruman went? Or that he entered in a different way - and time - than Gandalf?

On one hand you complain they stray from more, and on the other you shame them for referring to the lore.

And you've seen 30 mins.

You keep repeating that if I couldn’t handle a bit of a feedback I would be throwing around personal insults and getting emotional

Sounds familiar?
You were the one who started beating their chest telling people to dry their eyes.

But it's a totally different story when it's put on you, instantly you start playing the victim.

Bronwyn quotes a thought Sam has, does that make her Sam?

Galadriel quotes Arwen - does that make her Arwen?

The Istar makes a quote to lead with your nose, does that make him Gandalf?

Is that line more evidence than him going to Ruhn where only the blue wizards and Saruman went? Or that he entered in a different way - and time - than Gandalf?

On one hand you complain they stray from more, and on the other you shame them for referring to the lore.

And you've seen 30 mins.
Well why use existing lore if you are going to divert away from it? Just make a original IP and do what you want

The show will always attract criticism if the show continues to have it storytelling based on a exisiting established lore and then making stuff on the fly that contradicts said lore

Well why use existing lore if you are going to divert away from it? Just make a original IP and do what you want

The show will always attract criticism if the show continues to have it storytelling based on a exisiting established lore and then making stuff on the fly that contradicts said lore

I've already explained that though, and you'd understand that if you'd read what there is to read about the second age in the appendices which is what they've got the rights to.

There is plenty to criticise in RoP, but you've put forward flawed thinking due to not actually watching the show. Why regurgitate other people's opinions? Lol

I see this is somewhat heated.

Anyway, IMO and I watched all of it,.

The urge to make everything connect to media people already know (from the films) got them IMO, and some really bad decisions were made in planning that can't now be undone.

Random elf x2 (Arondir worked pretty well), random Numenorean, random Dwarf with the named characters being off screen or remote would have worked much much better for what they were trying to do. Best set piece was the southlands where they had more of that to work with.

You'd think a faithful adaptation to Tolkien's works, including the large time periods where nothing happened, wouldn't make for compelling television. I haven't read it myself, but from what I've read about the Silmarillon it is apparently a dense read that would be difficult to put adapt to a screenplay.

Surely everyone - fans and non-fans alike - understand creative liberties have to be taken to make a good, entertaining show. Look at Andor, for example - an actual good, entertaining new Star Wars show that does not have a single lightsabre, Skywalker or aliens designed to sell toys. I hope Rings of Power continues with a similar path where of course the lore drives the events, but if they put a black elf in to make a better story, then go for it.

In this respect, I think Rings of Power has done it's job even if admittedly the first handful of episodes were tedious at times. In particular, I enjoyed the portrayal of Galadriel, the bromance between Prince Durin and Elrond, and Adar's arc. I don't care it it follows canon closely.

You'd think a faithful adaptation to Tolkien's works, including the large time periods where nothing happened, wouldn't make for compelling television. I haven't read it myself, but from what I've read about the Silmarillon it is apparently a dense read that would be difficult to put adapt to a screenplay.

Surely everyone - fans and non-fans alike - understand creative liberties have to be taken to make a good, entertaining show. Look at Andor, for example - an actual good, entertaining new Star Wars show that does not have a single lightsabre, Skywalker or aliens designed to sell toys. I hope Rings of Power continues with a similar path where of course the lore drives the events, but if they put a black elf in to make a better story, then go for it.

In this respect, I think Rings of Power has done it's job even if admittedly the first handful of episodes were tedious at times. In particular, I enjoyed the portrayal of Galadriel, the bromance between Prince Durin and Elrond, and Adar's arc. I don't care it it follows canon closely.
Agreed, and Andor is ****ing fantastic.

You absolutely can. The difference is your opinion looks utterly stupid considering you've seen half an episode and have done nothing but pot it.

It's the equivalent of reading Fellowship up until Tom Bombadil and calling the book trash.
Please.

80% of this site is people having know it all opinions about football clubs they don't follow.

Why should TV be treated different?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Please.

80% of this site is people having know it all opinions about football they don't follow.

Why should TV be treated different?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I would reply with a serious answer but I don't think I can talk to anyone using a Nokia in 2022.

;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a difference between making adaptations to enhance the source material and making changes that detract from it.

I think the mithril vaccine thing is an example of a mega detraction. It's just dumb

There's a difference between making adaptations to enhance the source material and making changes that detract from it.

I think the mithril vaccine thing is an example of a mega detraction. It's just dumb

Absolutely agree. Meanwhile compressing the timeline has been a big tick for me. Also the making of Mordor and the Adar storyline.

They haven't gotten everything right by any means, but think they've done more good than bad and equally expect they'll learn a hell of a lot from season one.

Oh wow.

Came in here this morning to post some thoughts after watching the finale. Got distracted, left it, only to return and be reminded of why I didn't visit the thread since the premiere. Go figure.

Anyway, a good finale and a nice run of episodes to finish off.

And a pretty good season of television - was it great? At times, but I never expected it to be truly great, not yet anyway. The bar to be among the best shows is pretty high imo, and the degree of difficulty of telling this kind of story seemed great, regardless of how much money was sunk into it.

Absolutely no confirmation it's Gandalf. How he entered the fray + the fact he's going East points to him being a Blue Wizard. You'd know that if you watched the show.

Funnily enough for a person who has seen 30 mins of a 9 hour show, you're top ten for posts in this thread. Bizarre, really.
If he's a random blue wizard that would suck balls considering they've alienated all the people that would care about that, and the whole Hobbit thing (and particularly him saying amusing words of wisdom to the Hobbit going with him which is clearly a 'recruiting Bilbo' parallel) would make a bait and switch alienating to fans watching it as a prequel to the Jackson trilogy. ("This guy we've set up as Gandalf is actually.... some dude" - expectations subverted.)

If he's a random blue wizard that would suck balls considering they've alienated all the people that would care about that, and the whole Hobbit thing (and particularly him saying amusing words of wisdom to the Hobbit going with him which is clearly a 'recruiting Bilbo' parallel) would make a bait and switch alienating to fans watching it as a prequel to the Jackson trilogy. ("This guy we've set up as Gandalf is actually.... some dude" - expectations subverted.)

I think it entirely depends on the story they tell in season two. I think they could go both directions and do a great job. Equally, fly too close to the sun and they could **** it up just as easily.

Rest assured though, there'd be some fantastic stories to tell if it is a Blue Wizard.

Is lore and canon the same thing ?
Practically they are similar but have a slight distinction and sometimes they can be used interchangeably. I think 'lore' is more like the physical / magical / historical foundation of the context. Like it is "lore" that Elves have pointy ears, that Numenoreans are 7"+ tall and have extended life spans etc. Whereas it is "canon" if written text by the original and subsequently published Author's wrote that something occurred. I.e it is "canon" that the three elvish rings were made by Celebrimbor AFTER construction of the 9 and 7 rings with Annatar. Or it would be "canon" that Galadriel is married to Celeborn etc etc.

Practically they are similar but have a slight distinction and sometimes they can be used interchangeably. I think 'lore' is more like the physical / magical / historical foundation of the context. Like it is "lore" that Elves have pointy ears, that Numenoreans are 7"+ tall and have extended life spans etc. Whereas it is "canon" if written text by the original and subsequently published Author's wrote that something occurred. I.e it is "canon" that the three elvish rings were made by Celebrimbor AFTER construction of the 9 and 7 rings with Annatar. Or it would be "canon" that Galadriel is married to Celeborn etc etc.
thanks. I thought once it was odd that people were using a weapon, no sorry an electronics brand, when discussing star wars

Remove this Banner Ad

Streaming Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Back