Expansion Lowest finals crowd since WW1...

Remove this Banner Ad

Link has already been provided by the previous Bulldogs supporter - I've corrected it in mine from HS to ABC. It's the genuine "article".

The first quote is from Adam Curley of AFL Media in "4 things we learned" after the game.
No actual link then?

Bulldogs members bought 8100 tickets compared to the Giants members buying 6200.

The crowd was 21.790. Giants fans would have had to buy a lot more of the general admission tickets then Dogs fans to have had more fans there.

At worst, it was very close to 50-50. Steve Johnson who I daresay was there has publicly said he thought there was 60-70% Bulldog fans, which isn't the case but whilst you can completely dismiss it, there's a very good chance there were more Bulldogs fans there.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-...ickets-than-giants-fans-for-afl-final/7860130

You would think most Bulldogs supporters travelling up from Melbourne would have bought their ticket early in the
week rather than chancing it at the gate on the day. Especially considering all the noise about Dogs supporters maybe missing out
on a ticket. I was at the game. The crowd was about 50/50, but the Dogs supporters were definitely louder. Y'know the media talks
up a lot of footy games, but this game was the real deal. As good as you'll ever see.

It was on the Footy Flashbacks show about the game.

Do you doubt he was there or just Bulldog fans who thought there were more Dogs fans there?

Checkmate. Don't know if General Giant and Bok can argue otherwise now

What is it with Sydneysiders and not rocking up to support their team? I know rugby league is considered better on TV than live, but why does nobody show up to the socka or footy either? Is the public transport/travel distance in Sydney really that shocking? Or is everyone busy hanging around Bondi in order to be seen?

Except that your judement is meaningless

I'm not judging anything. I'm commenting on the facts presented. There's no trolling or opinion here, we've made statements backed up by sources

Im not the one making the statements.

Dont suppose you have any facts?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Bulldogs members bought 8100 tickets compared to the Giants members buying 6200.

The crowd was 21.790. Giants fans would have had to buy a lot more of the general admission tickets then Dogs fans to have had more fans there.

At worst, it was very close to 50-50. Steve Johnson who I daresay was there has publicly said he thought there was 60-70% Bulldog fans, which isn't the case but whilst you can completely dismiss it, there's a very good chance there were more Bulldogs fans there.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-...ickets-than-giants-fans-for-afl-final/7860130
None of this really matters to 2017 but:

This was reported by the AFL immediately after the game.

1. Dogs fans love a good road trip

This game was played at Spotless Stadium, but if you closed your eyes you'd think you were smack bang in the middle of Footscray, with the Dogs' supporter base out in force. The Giants were booed onto the ground for the warm-up, with former Bulldogs captain Ryan Griffen given a hostile reception when he was introduced on the big screen pre-match. The orange army made their presence felt once the game commenced, but it was strange to see opposition fans outnumber that of the home side, especially on such a big occasion. 21,790 fans packed the stadium to create a brilliant atmosphere, proving the League's decision to stage the game on the Giants' home deck was the right one.

This was reported by the ABC before the game.

The AFL will look for a midweek sell-out of the Greater Western Sydney versus Western Bulldogs preliminary final after disappointing sales to Giants members were balanced by a strong pick-up from the Melbourne club's supporters.

Bulldogs members snapped up 8,100 seats at the Giants' Sydney Showground stadium home ground during the exclusive member sale period on Monday, compared to a disappointing 6,200 purchased by the host's members.

The AFL said the remaining 4,600 unsold member tickets then went into general admission availability for the 24,000-capacity venue.

At close of business on Monday the AFL said only another 1,800 general admission tickets were available for sale.

You were saying?

Here's another way to look at it, describing the average IMO AFL Giants supporter from a Canberran-biased perspective;

Ex-pat from a traditional AFL state - therefore they follow an AFL team, for example, the West Coast Eagles
The AFL experimented with North Melbourne in Canberra once, therefore, on their car (depending on how old it is) there will be a series of 2002-2006 North Melbourne Membership stickers on their car
More recently these stickers will change to Giants stickers

For some inexplicable reason this supporter will still get frustrated when the Eagles lose, and will cheer when North knock off another team, and when the Giants have two draws in a row they will cry, proper grown-person salty tears too, the kind of tears that would dry up Lake Burley Griffin due to osmosis.

Here is IMO an example of more of a country-biased perspective in traditional AFL territory;

The person has a club they follow and every weekend they sit in front of a television screen religiously and pray to whatever God is listening for their team to win (they cannot attend games often). When they are at work, they talk about AFL all day (unless it is summer, then they talk about cricket), if they are school, all their teacher's use AFL metaphors to explain maths, science and religion (except if it is summer, then they talk about cricket). The person measures their success against how well their team is doing, and when they die they are buried in their colours. Yet there are no AFL clubs based in this territory.

Furthermore, AFL could be used to solve this problem, according to my Grade 3 Commerce teacher, in AFL, if there is a player, let's say Lewis Jetta and he's exactly one kick from a contested football WCE goal side of the contest, and then his opposition player is neither at the contest, nor standing beside Jetta, but is ball-watching 25m from the contest, neither here nor there, that player would be in a bit of strife. There would be a few players pointing at Jetta and telling him to get back there. Problem solved. This is apparently what investment banking is all about, but, back to my point, this is what the GWS Giants are a bit like, they are like that player at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That it was a 50 50 crowd with the dogs fans much louder.

Ive said it a few times now. Dont know why you need me to repeat it.

Except one of your players has said it was 60-40 or perhaps even 70-30. I think he might be a bit less biased than you

Probably sounded like it no doubt.

Noting he didn't play so likely had a bit more time to assess rather than go on noise.

I'm not too sure why it is so hard for you concede. This isn't a troll of gws, no need to get your defendes up

Eh? Always said it was a 50 50 crowd with the dogs far and away louder.

60/40 crowd.
40 giants fans
40 dogs fans
20 Sydney neutrals with an obvious Bais to GWS.

However the dogs fans who took the effort to travel to Sydney were the hard core (and mostly toothless) and so were louder especially as their lead grew.

I'm not judging anything. I'm commenting on the facts presented. There's no trolling or opinion here, we've made statements backed up by sources
No you're not. There's a fable about the boy who cried wolf that you could have gained benefit from when you were younger, but it's too late now

You could count the number of bulldogs fans who live in Sydney on one hand, even if you were fingerless.
The only dog fans there were the ones who traveled up from footscray.

Not getting numbers to a fonal in Melbourne is hardly a major concern. The Semi final crowd was disappointing, but to say the Storm are successful and we aren't is silly.
We are building and the club membetship last year was 2.5k ahead of long term projections. We were never going to match crowds in traditional AFL states after 7 years, and this was always expected.
We've been competitive for two years possibly you could say this is the third.
It was never going to be quick or easy, and we are here to stay. Anyone can dislike that, get really angry, or lose sleep over it. Might be easier to accept it in the long run though, but who cares really.
Well, when it rapes the rest of the competition for the best part of the decade, you better bet we care. And for what? Its not like GWS were needed or wanted at all, the AFL competition was doing just fine and dandy thanks. Its only for a couple of power hungry corporate dogs in the AFL watch house that GWS was even conceived.

Well, when it rapes the rest of the competition for the best part of the decade, you better bet we care. And for what? Its not like GWS were needed or wanted at all, the AFL competition was doing just fine and dandy thanks. Its only for a couple of power hungry corporate dogs in the AFL watch house that GWS was even conceived.
Codswallop
Your CEO signed off on the arrangement as did all the others. The stupid thing is you think your delusions matter

Codswallop
Your CEO signed off on the arrangement as did all the others. The stupid thing is you think your delusions matter
CEO's didnt have a choice. You do thy bidding of the AFL or you WILL be reamed. Be it the next years draw, 6 day breaks,whatever..they will get you.
If you think the AFL run a nice ole democratic admin. in conjunction with the clubs you are sorely deluded.

CEO's didnt have a choice. You do thy bidding of the AFL or you WILL be reamed. Be it the next years draw, 6 day breaks,whatever..they will get you.
If you think the AFL run a nice ole democratic admin. in conjunction with the clubs you are sorely deluded.
Again codswallop
I refer you to previous post

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Lowest finals crowd since WW1...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back