Luke Ball "Officially" Walks..

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised to a certain extent we couldn't talk him around but I'm not surprised he'd walk if the money elsewhere was significantly more than what St Kilda was offering.

Luke's a quality bloke and he's given everything he had to achieve success at St Kilda. Understandable too that he'd have taken some of the decisions this year as a slight.

From Luke's perspective I hope he does get to play at Collingwood. I'm in no doubt the attraction is Nathan Buckley and I'm in no doubt Bucks would be one pushing hard for him.

I agree, he is a tailor made fit for the Bombers.

However, if he gets realistic about his price he could find himself at North around pick 21 or 25.;):thumbsu:

Anyone that actually pays him a multiple years 500k contract is reeking of desperation.

The price is already fixed. We dont know what it is but we can assume its big enough to shoo off pauper clubs such as North Melbourne and Melbourne who are 6-7 years away from a flag, as well as scaring away premiership sides like Geelong and Hawthorn who no doubt are pretty chockers on their salary cap. Interstate sides are unlikely to want to take the risk, so the field of potential suitors narrows very quickly.

I'm surprised to a certain extent we couldn't talk him around but I'm not surprised he'd walk if the money elsewhere was significantly more than what St Kilda was offering.

Luke's a quality bloke and he's given everything he had to achieve success at St Kilda. Understandable too that he'd have taken some of the decisions this year as a slight.

From Luke's perspective I hope he does get to play at Collingwood. I'm in no doubt the attraction is Nathan Buckley and I'm in no doubt Buck's would be one pushing hard for him.

Bucks is still a few years away.

You're right though, what an attraction.

The price is already fixed. We dont know what it is but we can assume its big enough to shoo off pauper clubs such as North Melbourne.

Brilliant wit, I've never heard that one before.:thumbsu:

Ball is worth $350K/3-4 years.

If North paid more than that, I'd be fuming.

If Collingwood paid more than that, they are flat out desperate, and publicly admitting that their drafting has been massively overrated.

If Colingwood paid more than that, they are flat out desperate, and publicly admitting that their drafting has been massively overrated.

No, it would mean that they'd be prepared to pay overs to fit the last piece of the puzzle needed to win a flag. Theres nothing wrong with Collingwoods drafting (except in ruck, hopefully fixed with the recruitement of Wood and now Jolly) but you cant turn young kids into hardened midfielders overnight.

Bucks is still a few years away.
Don't bet on it. ;)

You're right though, what an attraction.
Buckley is huge fan of Balls (so to speak) as he was of Burns.

Just listen or read anything he's ever said on Luke and I think this has his finger prints all over it.

We've been missing a ruckman and an inside mid. Thats pretty much all.

Not sure if you've been watching much footy lately but Collingwood have been up and about for the past four years.

There is no doubt that Ball is not worth 500k, but for a club in Collingwood's position paying him over market to top out the list is a risk worth taking.

If it doesnt work, at least we've put salary cap pressure on another club such as Essendon. And we'll jump a spot in the ND in terms of youngsters.

If it doesnt work, at least we've put salary cap pressure on another club such as Essendon.
That is one of the biggest myths in football and one devoid of any real logic.

The only team Collingwood are potentially putting pressure on in terms of the cap is Collingwood.

That is one of the biggest myths in football and one devoid of any real logic.

The only team Collingwood are potentially putting pressure on in terms of the cap is Collingwood.

Kerry Packer would tend to disagree with that. If you want something badly enough, you pay up as high as you can so that if at least if you miss out, you will hit your rival in the hip pocket.

Why do you think our Channel 7 coverage is so shit? Because Nine forced their hand at the bidding table and theres nothing left in the kitty to spent on delivering a decent service.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not surprised or concerned about this. Ball is a quality player but we have Armitage and Steven who both showed great form in their very limited opportunities this year. And I really don't give a stuff about missing out on pick 25 in a crap draft. We didn't bend over and let Collingwood have their way and pay under the odds.

Hopefully he gets picked up early and play out his remaining 4-5 years in an ordinary team while St Kilda finally gets the flag he'll never experience.

Kerry Packer would tend to disagree with that. If you want something badly enough, you pay up as high as you can so that if at least if you miss out, you will hit your rival in the hip pocket.

Why do you think our Channel 7 coverage is so shit? Because Nine forced their hand at the bidding table and theres nothing left in the kitty to spent on delivering a decent service.

I really don't see how the anaolgy works given the parameters around which the cap operates.

If Essendon have plenty of cap space available this year and next then it really places little pressure on them at all.

How much a team pays for a player and whether they are under/over paying is only really based on their overall cap position. If Essendon take him they might not be under any more pressure than they are today.

It's actually why I think player salaries should be public because it's in players best interests in realising their true worth (but that's another story).

Nice counter argument.

I know, it wasn't very clever, it's just that I genuinely lol'd.

What was wrong with what he said?

Collingwood are a class below the top tier, and a Ruck man and Luke Ball won't make up the difference.

They also need a proper key forward.

Ball would only be replacing O'Bree, Lockyer and Presti are getting on, Medhurst's form has plummeted and Davis and Didak have failed to deliver on the big stage.

In fact, I am of the opinion that Collingwood have been playing above the natural ability of their list, when compared to other clubs, and they haven't been commended enough for that fact. They have one of the smartest coaches in the business and have a head start on the rest of the Melbourne clubs in regards to their football development department. The development gap will narrow in the coming years.

I really don't see how the anaolgy works given the parameters around which the cap operates.

If Essendon have plenty of cap space available this year and next then it really places little pressure on them at all.

How much a team pays for a player and whether they are under/over paying is only really based on their overall cap position. If Essendon take him they might not be under any more pressure than they are today.

It's actually why I think player salaries should be public because it's in players best interests in realising their true worth (but that's another story).

Fair enough.

Irrespective, if Collingwood is prepared to bid above Ball's actual value (and most people tend to agree he's not worth 500k), then other clubs will have to do the same. While its a risk worth taking for a team like Collingwood given its ladder position in recent years, the same may not apply for other teams who cant see a flag in the near term.

Ball's 25 years old (I think). There are probably doubts that he'll play very deep into his 30's considering his injury history. He may only have 4 years left. Unless a side genuinely believes that a flag in 2011 at the latest is a genuine possibility, then paying overs for Luke Ball is probably not worth it. That cuts a lot of clubs out of the market for Ball.

I know, it wasn't very clever, it's just that I genuinely lol'd.

Collingwood are a class below the top tier, and a Ruck man and Luke Ball won't make up the difference.

They also need a proper key forward.

Ball would only be replacing O'Bree, Lockyer and Presti are getting on, Medhurst's form has plummeted and Davis and Didak have failed to deliver on the big stage.

In fact, I am of the opinion that Collingwood have been playing above the natural ability of their list, when compared to other clubs, and they haven't been commended enough for that fact. They have one of the smartest coaches in the business and have a head start on the rest of the Melbourne clubs in regards to their football development department. The development gap will narrow in the coming years.
Yeh, it's a funny theory I keep hearing. Collingwood aren't any good....but you guys keep winning games and making the top 4....I don't knowz how youz does it Collingwood!

Now, explain something to me. How do you play ABOVE your ability? Honestly, that line is stupid on a laughable level. Are you trying to say there's a level above your maximum ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back