Coach Luke Beveridge & the Dogs - is his time up? Where are they at?

Is Luke Beveridge’s time up at the Bulldogs?

• Yes

Votes: 283 82.0%
  • No

Votes: 62 18.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Good coach for all his faults but his message is clearly wearing thin. If we miss finals this year i reckon he moves on. 9 years is a good innings at a club and will go down as a club legend. Would give a new coach enough time for a final shot at another flag led by Bont and Macrae too.
He's the second longest serving coach in our history.
After 7 consecutive losing prelims, if we were offered any coach who would be with us for 9.5 years, and give us a flag and another GF appearance in that time we all would have taken that deal.

The dogs have a great list. Full of young talent. And there's no real excuses left for Bevo not to get his team back to flag contention. They got given Ugle-Hagan with the NGA rules which have been over-turned and Sam Darcy with the Father-son. Many other teams are envious of their list and maybe a new coach is needed to start tot develop some of these guys.

I think the dogs are still going to be okay this year. It's only 2 rounds in. Busslinger and Charlie Clarke look like great young players for the future. Bring in Weightman and all of a sudden some more spark is added to their 22.

The dogs have a great list. Full of young talent. And there's no real excuses left for Bevo not to get his team back to flag contention. They got given Ugle-Hagan with the NGA rules which have been over-turned and Sam Darcy with the Father-son. Many other teams are envious of their list and maybe a new coach is needed to start tot develop some of these guys.

I think the dogs are still going to be okay this year. It's only 2 rounds in. Busslinger and Charlie Clarke look like great young players for the future. Bring in Weightman and all of a sudden some more spark is added to their 22.

Do they have a great list?

Sure, Bont is a star and he's got some good support in the middle with Macrae, Libba and Treloar, but none of them are noted two-way runners and the talent falls away pretty quickly. English isn't a good tap ruckman, Naughton has pretty much zero support in the form of short or tall forwards, they have poor KPDs and have tried playing Caleb Daniel at FB at times, and a huge chunk of the rest of the list is a repurposed midfielder playing another position.

Most of their best players are in the midfield and are 27 or over.

I'm far from convinced Bevo is a coaching genius, despite him doing a lot with the group early on he just seems to spend a lot of time playing guys anywhere other than their best position in the name of 'versatility' and hoping that midfield wins the contested possession count.

Quite amazing all these media/critical pieces on Bevo in the first 2 weeks of the season, when there was basically none about Ken Hinkley and Stewart Dew (esp from Kane Cornes who has gone in hard this week)

Now maybe they are right about Bevo (probably too early in the season to tell mind you) but it seems like he is copping it sweet and other underwhelming coaches are getting ignored on the griller (for now

Quite amazing all these media/critical pieces on Bevo in the first 2 weeks of the season, when there was basically none about Ken Hinkley and Stewart Dew (esp from Kane Cornes who has gone in hard this week)

Now maybe they are right about Bevo (probably too early in the season to tell mind you) but it seems like he is copping it sweet and other underwhelming coaches are getting ignored on the griller (for now
In fairness the Dogs have probably disappointed the most out of those three teams. I do expect 2 out of 3 of these coaches to be gone by the end of the year.

Based on a media personality comment, it is now accepted that the next 4 weeks make or break Bev.

Not 3, 5, 7, 8...

Four.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite a few times over the years Daniel has been the last player back in defence when I've been watching Dogs games.

That’s a structure and zoning issue - one that hasn’t occurred since 2019.

We didn’t make a decision to play him at full back. He just ended up being the last man on a fast break (got stuck on a tall twice in 2019).

I've personally always been a Bevo fan. What he did for us in 2015 and 2016 as a club was nothing short of amazing.

However, with Brisbane and Richmond over the next 2 weeks we could very well end up 0-4 and our seasons over. With a list as good as ours we should be pushing top 4 at a minimum.

I've personally always been a Bevo fan. What he did for us in 2015 and 2016 as a club was nothing short of amazing.

However, with Brisbane and Richmond over the next 2 weeks we could very well end up 0-4 and our seasons over. With a list as good as ours we should be pushing top 4 at a minimum.

Didn't the Dogs start last season 0-4 and come home with a wet sail and play finals 🙄?

It does feel different/much more uphill battle for the Dogs this time around though, especially with a stop gap selley's Backline.

As I mentioned before, this is a good (draft) year to have a gap season, and regenerate a somewhat treadmill list (as it is atm) with some really good young talent in the draft.

I am not one to advocate tanking, but if you can somehow have 3 or 4 (maybe more), picks in the top 30 of this year's strong draft (which is meant to be the best/deepest in years), that is a very good place for The Dogs to refresh and reload for your next flag/finals push.

Didn't the Dogs start last season 0-4 and come home with a wet sail and play finals 🙄?

It does feel different/much more uphill battle for the Dogs this time around though, especially with a stop gap selley's Backline.

As I mentioned before, this is a good (draft) year to have a gap season, and regenerate a somewhat treadmill list (as it is atm) with some really good young talent in the draft.

I am not one to advocate tanking, but if you can somehow have 3 or 4 (maybe more), picks in the top 30 of this year's strong draft (which is meant to be the best/deepest in years), that is a very good place for The Dogs to refresh and reload for your next flag/finals push.

Nup. 0-2 but first two weeks we weren’t that bad. Shot ourselves in the foot round 2 and round 3 beat the swans at marvel. We were 2-3 after round 5.

Pity they already traded their 2nd rounder this year for Lobb.

Sam Darcy shouldn’t be playing AFL football at this stage. JUH probably in the same boat. Let them get some confidence at VFL level and bring them in red hot.

It isn’t their biggest issue but they do seem to have a lot of underwhelming VFL types that endlessly rotate through the side like: McComb, McNeil, Scott, Baker, Hannan etc. Maybe they’ll join that list but I would’ve thought that the likes of Bedendo, Khamis, West and Garcia as well as newcomers in Clarke and Busslinger offer more than those blokes.

As someone said before just pick your best players in their best positions and the rest takes care of itself.

Last edited:
Do they have a great list?

Sure, Bont is a star and he's got some good support in the middle with Macrae, Libba and Treloar, but none of them are noted two-way runners and the talent falls away pretty quickly. English isn't a good tap ruckman, Naughton has pretty much zero support in the form of short or tall forwards, they have poor KPDs and have tried playing Caleb Daniel at FB at times, and a huge chunk of the rest of the list is a repurposed midfielder playing another position.

Most of their best players are in the midfield and are 27 or over.

I'm far from convinced Bevo is a coaching genius, despite him doing a lot with the group early on he just seems to spend a lot of time playing guys anywhere other than their best position in the name of 'versatility' and hoping that midfield wins the contested possession count.
You've got to include Bailey Smith. He's a star. Tim English is a great ruck in my eyes. Rucks never hit it to their midfielders anyway. They have horrific hitouts to advantage %'s. Many teams have won a flag without a good tap ruck but English links up really well/better than most, if not all, rucks in the league. Sam Darcy is also an amazing free hit at a superstar key forward of the future. I agree that their defence needs work but they drafted Bssslinger to help bolster this. I don't think Ugle-Hagan is going to cut it at afl level. I think he'll be ok, but nothing great.

Weightman is also a very good player. I hate the way he plays in terms of staging but he's dangerous and is amazing defensively. Ed Richards is also a very good player and has AA capabilities.

Most of the best players in every team are 27 and over. That's only natural. I think Khamis can also be turned into a good player.

But I agree, I don't think Bevo has got the players buying in atm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Luke Beveridge & the Dogs - is his time up? Where are they at?

Back