Luke Hodge 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice sentence.

That's a pretty long bow to draw matey. You still had to kick a goal.

If Gamble had not kicked into the man on the mark from 10m out, we would have won by more. If Mooney had not have given away a 100m penalty, we would have won by more. etc.

Following your statement to it's logical conclusion, that means you lost the game because of him?

We were up by 4 points and it would had given us the momentum, and yes i do blame him for that loss coz he should not had played if his mind was not going to be on his game..

Hodge had an opponent all game against the Dogs. He just completely pantsed him. I sat level 2 right behind the goals at the city end. A beautiful view of the whole playing arena.

You look like an idiot when you make such strong remarks that are just completely fasle.

http://www.afl.com.au/Results/tabid...did=700&fixtureid=5023&display=1&newsid=67177

With Lewis, Mitchell and Sewell dominating the clearances, Luke Hodge doing likewise playing loose across half -back, and Franklin and Roughead wreaking havoc inside forward 50, the Hawks wrested control of the match.

Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks he plyed loose

Or you can just continue your rant

FWIW - I don't deny that at times he had a man, but he played loose a large portion as well - but hey, from your comments, I think he took all 6 defenders, kicked 8 goals and brokered a sale for Lehman brothers.

http://www.afl.com.au/Results/tabid...did=700&fixtureid=5023&display=1&newsid=67177

With Lewis, Mitchell and Sewell dominating the clearances, Luke Hodge doing likewise playing loose across half -back, and Franklin and Roughead wreaking havoc inside forward 50, the Hawks wrested control of the match.

Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks he plyed loose

Or you can just continue your rant

Loose because he leaves his opponent to go to the ball or contest. He still had an opponent, he just wasn't always near them because he read the play better. He wasn't loose in the sense that 6 other Hawks manned up 6 Bulldog forwards and he ran around without an opponent.

You believe what you read and I'll believe what I see - Deal?

Loose because he leaves his opponent to go to the ball or contest. He still had an opponent, he just wasn't always near them because he read the play better. He wasn't loose in the sense that 6 other Hawks manned up 6 Bulldog forwards and he ran around without an opponent.

You believe what you read and I'll believe what I see - Deal?

I'll believe what I see and find corrobarotors to support.

you can continue to look through brown and gold glasses and see god's gift!

He's still played in the midfield for most of the year, so to say that he can't be seen as an A grade midfielder is crazy in itself. He averaged the most goals for any midfielder before he went back into defence. People are so quick to give a champion a pasting whenever there is a small opening aren't they? Check out all the threads trying to compare him with Joel Bowden or Lindsay Gilbee. Check out all the threads trying to call him a choker after he had a poor game in Rd 17. And what about the thread calling him a choker for his 'dismal' performance in the 2008 Qualifying Final? :rolleyes: Give it up people.

Watch the Carlton Hawthorn game Rd 22 . . . he had three different opponents. Cloke, Simpson, Walker. All failed.

Didn't see the game, will take your word on it

Also - go back and read my posts. I never once wasn't anything but complimentary to Hodge.

hero here just had an issue with me saying Hodge played games loose across half back.

If I said he played games through the midfield, i doubt I would have been shot down. And clearly he played some games in the midfield this year as well.

But as soon as you mention he played loose in defence - it is like I am calling him a cheat.

He is a versatile player, who often plays loose, often plays tight and often plays midfield.

Against the bulldogs he played a large portion loose. I didn't see the carlton game - so have no idea where he played.

So he's a defender who doesn't play on the best forward? :p

He doesn't really need to, he gets tagged as a half-back, but he tends to run off and spoil the best forward, or at least get in the way, win the ball when it gets to ground level, etc. And use the ball pretty well coming out of defence. Of course he's not going to take Riewoldt this weekend :rolleyes: He might take Schneider if he can and run off him. Alternatively, the Saints might put a defensive forward on him, maybe Clinton Jones.

He doesn't really need to, he gets tagged as a half-back, but he tends to run off and spoil the best forward, or at least get in the way, win the ball when it gets to ground level, etc. And use the ball pretty well coming out of defence. Of course he's not going to take Riewoldt this weekend :rolleyes: He might take Schneider if he can and run off him. Alternatively, the Saints might put a defensive forward on him, maybe Clinton Jones.

I understand what role Hodge plays, I think he's fantastic at it is of vital importance. Just found it interesting that Scarlett often gets criticised by opposition supporters when Geelong try to free him up to do just this.

Didn't see the game, will take your word on it

Also - go back and read my posts. I never once wasn't anything but complimentary to Hodge.

hero here just had an issue with me saying Hodge played games loose across half back.

If I said he played games through the midfield, i doubt I would have been shot down. And clearly he played some games in the midfield this year as well.

But as soon as you mention he played loose in defence - it is like I am calling him a cheat.

He is a versatile player, who often plays loose, often plays tight and often plays midfield.

Against the bulldogs he played a large portion loose. I didn't see the carlton game - so have no idea where he played.

In the bulldogs game he was on mitch hahn, and in a few scenarios they competed one on one. Hodgey runs off his opponent a lot so it seems that he plays loose, and you could call him a loose half back at times. He regularly leaves his man if the ball's not going to him and helps out against the gun forward (i.e. Riewoldt, Brown).

I understand what role Hodge plays, I think he's fantastic at it is of vital importance. Just found it interesting that Scarlett often gets criticised by opposition supporters when Geelong try to free him up to do just this.

Yup, he does get criticized for doing something like that. I guess Scarlett plays at FB, and it is viewed as a more defensive role, whereas half back is essentially 50/50 midfield/defence. Nobody's going to expect a 184cm midfielder like hodge to be a pure negator, but people might see the role of a FB to stop your opponent.

In the bulldogs game he was on mitch hahn, and in a few scenarios they competed one on one. Hodgey runs off his opponent a lot so it seems that he plays loose, and you could call him a loose half back at times. He regularly leaves his man if the ball's not going to him and helps out against the gun forward (i.e. Riewoldt, Brown).

I don't deny he played on Mitch Hahn for a portion of the game, I also saw him standing Minson - which was humourous.

Hahn kept trying to drag him out of the play, Hodge didn't fall for it and kept cutting off leads. The bullies foolishly didn't use Hahn and therefore Hodge didn't play on him.

In the end they didn't match him up, they sent Cross back into defence loose. Hodge was great, Cross was crap

Hawks won

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were up by 4 points and it would had given us the momentum, and yes i do blame him for that loss coz he should not had played if his mind was not going to be on his game..

No, you were 5 points down when he kicked it to Gamble. Mind you he turned it over quite a bit, so you might be talking about a different one.

I'll believe what I see and find corrobarotors to support.

you can continue to look through brown and gold glasses and see god's gift!

Clutching at straws with the god's gift remark. I am not even talking about Hodge's playing ability now, just your refusal to acknowledge what is accepted as fact by anyone who actually watched the game.

i.e. That Hodge was part of Hawthorns backline and had a direct opponent v the Bulldogs. No matter how many times you refute it, it doesn't stop you being wrong.

he's a very good player, so's Joel Bowden and they play exactly the same game, Bowden would be thought of much more highly if he played in a successful team. Hodge best player in the league, no way, there's 20 in front of him

he's a very good player, so's Joel Bowden and they play exactly the same game

You don't say? Joel Bowden. Hmmm.

Who does he play for? The only Joel Bowden I've ever seen is a skirt who plays for Richmond, and collects as much soft footy as the opposition lets him.

Obviously he can't be the player you're talking about.

Hodge the good:

Plays on KPP size players and beats them in the air.
Runs off to provide aerial support to team-mates - especially the Fevola/Bradshaw/Brown deep KPP forwards.
90% of his possessions are from contested situations, or intercepting opposition kicks.
Incredibly fierce at the contest - you know when your between him and the ball.
Excellent vision and decision making - puts team-mates into space.
Superb disposal by hand and foot.
Attacking instincts from a defensive position.
Goal-kicking midfielder.
Strong contested (one-on-one) mark if he goes forward.
Brilliant ball-winner
Running back with the flight of the ball, turning and leaping to get the fist into spoil the opposition key forward, then grabbing the loose ball, spinning, sidestep and run 10m, before delivering 50m upfield to a player running into space.

Hodge the 'bad':
Doesn't get many 'freebies' - doesn't waste energy running to space for cheap kicks - instead focuses on patrolling his area.
Is a "one and done" player - gets the ball, get's it 50m downfield, or to runners in space - so no chance of second/third possessions.

Probably has the highest value per disposal in the league - 20 touches in the midfield from him would be worth 30 from most players.

Perhaps the closest comparisons would be:

A more attacking Scarlett/Harley - manning the 2nd/3rd tall, providing support against the #1 forward. The big advantage here is his work on the ground.

A more physical Bowden/McLeod/Shaw - none of those players are particularly big of build, nor make their opponents feel it. His big advantage over these is his aerial dominance.

An improvement on the Cornes model, he has the balance almost perfect.

Hawthorn wants him to play on taller players (but not the #1 marking target) so he can run off them to assist his team-mates - put a smaller player on him (tagging) and he goes to the midfield or forward line - they reshuffle, and Brown is the '3rd man in'.

A statistic I haven't seen very often was brought up in the carlton game - meters gained. Essentially how much (in distance terms) he had directly contributed. His measure at half time was almost double anyone else on the ground, and higher than anyone else at the completion of the game. An unfair comparison (Judd isn't fit), but Judd had 21 disposals for 200m. Hodge had 16, yet contributed >500.

With Hodge, the statistics just don't do him justice, and arguably the most under-rated player in the game.

With Hodge, the statistics just don't do him justice, and arguably the most under-rated player in the game.

Nobody underrates Hodge. He is a gun and a star of the competiton. Some people simpy beleive that he was a bit lucky to get AA selecton considering he had some quiet games int eh 1st half of the season and also missed a whopping 25% of the season through injury and suspension.

Watch the Carlton Hawthorn game Rd 22 . . . he had three different opponents. Cloke, Simpson, Walker. All failed.
You obviously didn't watch the game.
Carlton had every player trying to get the ball to Fevola.
No Hawthorn player was manned up seriously since there was an obsession with getting Fevola to 100.

I've said it before, Hodge reminds me of Bowden.
Both unaccountable highly skilled half back flankers that use the ball well for their teams.
You could put Hodge in Richmonds side & Bowden in Hawthorns side & there would't be much difference. Maybe Bowden would be better but only marginally.

Nobody underrates Hodge. He is a gun and a star of the competiton. Some people simpy beleive that he was a bit lucky to get AA selecton considering he had some quiet games int eh 1st half of the season and also missed a whopping 25% of the season through injury and suspension.

On one hand, you say no-one underrates him, on the next you say he perhaps didn't deserve All-Australian selection?

I think that's what Simon Nesbit was saying, chief - that Hodge is clearly All-Australian, anything less is underrating his year.

I don't understand why you call that arrogance.

I've said it before, Hodge reminds me of Bowden.
Both unaccountable highly skilled half back flankers that use the ball well for their teams.
You could put Hodge in Richmonds side & Bowden in Hawthorns side & there would't be much difference. Maybe Bowden would be better but only marginally.

haha, now i know you guys are just taking the piss, good one guys thats hilarious

Bowden better than Hodge, yep

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Hodge 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Back