Player Watch Luke Pedlar

Will Luke Pedlar be in at the first centre bounce of the 2024 season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a sh*t take. Sorry, but it is.

Because Luke is the first player ever to struggle with the demands of AFL footy in his second year on a list.

I'd say he is tracking just fine.

OMG, he's not a hall of famer after less than two years from being drafted. DELIST...

Interested in how many weeks he was unavailable for this season. Missing weeks as the AFL sub then SANFL byes, mixed in with a couple of injuries can make it seem worse than it is.

Not too worried.

If you could stop looking for things to get upset and grand stand about, you might do better.

No one has made the argument you're claiming. What they have said is that his inability to get fit is a cause for concern. We're worse off by his not having played than we would be if he had played. This is not only uncontroversial, it's obvious.
"Like, he's had years on the list and can't get through a twos game."

"Yes, so if he was capable of getting fit he'd be approaching 50 games. Where is he at?"

"Our best case is that we get a rookie season out of him in year 3."

Now your telling me that I am getting upset? These are quotes that sound like you are upset because a 20 year old kid has struggled to get his body right and able to handle the rigours of AFL footy.

Yes, the question is whether he can get his body right to cope with the stress of consistent AFL footy.

However, if yesterday is what we can expect to see then we have a gem on our hands.

He has played 30+ games in two years. That's a pretty handy start.

The constant negative shit that is spat out here at times is baffling and tiresome. It's like a car crash sometimes. I could walk away, but I don't.

It's really not uncommon. He has played 29 sanfl/afl games so far in his first 2 seasons so he is actually tracking pretty well

It's not uncommon for whom? Do a lot of players that go on to become guns basically sit out of the AFL for two years after being drafted?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't know who they are. Most of the gun players I can identify played a lot early. Dangerfield had his year long sabbatical I guess, but at least he was fit.

It's not uncommon for whom? Do a lot of players that go on to become guns basically sit out of the AFL for two years after being drafted?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't know who they are. Most of the gun players I can identify played a lot early. Dangerfield had his year long sabbatical I guess, but at least he was fit.
I feel like there would be examples. Petracca didn't play at all in his first season because of an ACL, 17 games in year 2. Next year is obviously a big year for Pedlar but I wouldn't have thought 2 years of sporadic fitness was a huge outlier for good AFL players.

It's not uncommon for a player to miss some matches in their first year (he has only missed 2 games this year)

I feel like there would be examples. Petracca didn't play at all in his first season because of an ACL, 17 games in year 2. Next year is obviously a big year for Pedlar but I wouldn't have thought 2 years of sporadic fitness was a huge outlier for good AFL players.

Missed the first with an ACL, basically almost never missed after that. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if the kid had played 17 games by now.

At a certain point not getting games into you has to impact upon development.

Out of curiosity, why is it only left-footers that ever seem to have "raking" kicks? I don't think I've ever heard a single right-footed kick described as "raking", but lefties can't seem to avoid

Leftys often kick it like a Soccer Sweeper. More backlift, hip turn and a rounded arc sideways follow through which has a raking action.

That's my theory I just made up. I'm a Lefty but I've never raked a thing in my life so take it for what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Context matters. A struggling team with a shit midfield spends it's best draft pick for the year on a midfielder. Then he only plays two AFL games in his first two years after copping injuries to his groin, shoulders and ankle and struggling for fitness. How can you spin that into a positive and can I have some of what you're smoking?

Context matters. A struggling team with a s**t midfield spends it's best draft pick for the year on a midfielder. Then he only plays two AFL games in his first two years after copping injuries to his groin, shoulders and ankle and struggling for fitness. How can you spin that into a positive and can I have some of what you're smoking?
Obviously it would be better if he'd played 35 games like Berry, so he's had plenty of setbacks. At the same time it's not necessarily a huge deal, different players develop at different speeds and I'd certainly rather he was in and out of the side struggling for fitness and consistency but showing signs of development than not playing at all. The 'positive' spin on it is that he's had a good month and looks to be developing as a player and having a bigger impact on games.

For what it's worth he's also played 5 games, not 2. Only played rounds 16 and 17 last year but played 3 more this year.

edit: Just realised he was the unused sub twice this year. So I guess you can call that 3 games? Not sure how the stats will record it.

Interested in how many weeks he was unavailable for this season. Missing weeks as the AFL sub then SANFL byes, mixed in with a couple of injuries can make it seem worse than it is.

Not too worried.
Making him the sub/travelling emergency those times was utterly imbecilic. He's the last bloke who should be missing games.

Context matters. A struggling team with a s**t midfield spends it's best draft pick for the year on a midfielder. Then he only plays two AFL games in his first two years after copping injuries to his groin, shoulders and ankle and struggling for fitness. How can you spin that into a positive and can I have some of what you're smoking?

If we make the grand final he ends up with 31 games in 2 years, gotta say that's a surprise to me. Really think SANFL byes, weeks as the AFL sub into the mix can make it seem a little worse than it is.

Could point towards the club taking a cautious approach with a first rounder with a history of injuries. Seems to miss single weeks a lot rather than big lay off's.

Jordan Dawson. 1 game in his first 2 seasons, then 4 in his 3rd.

Every single mature age recruit ever.

Elijah Hollands looks like he will turn out OK. Izak Rankine (we hope).

Some players just take a bit more time.

Jordan Dawson. 1 game in his first 2 seasons, then 4 in his 3rd.

Every single mature age recruit ever.

Elijah Hollands looks like he will turn out OK. Izak Rankine (we hope).

Some players just take a bit more time.

Dawson's not in the calibre of player I'm talking about. I'm talking about league elites. It will be ok if Pedlar isn't one of those guys, but becomes as good as Dawson, but it means we're still a long way back from where we need to go midfield wise and it means we have no elite midfield prospects.

How long did Kane Johnson take to regularly make best 18? Seemed he had a few injury setbacks early in his career? My memory isnt what it used to be.

How long did Kane Johnson take to regularly make best 18? Seemed he had a few injury setbacks early in his career? My memory isnt what it used to be.
He played 23 games in his second season and won a flag

Dawson's not in the calibre of player I'm talking about. I'm talking about league elites. It will be ok if Pedlar isn't one of those guys, but becomes as good as Dawson, but it means we're still a long way back from where we need to go midfield wise and it means we have no elite midfield prospects.
What about all Australians Shai Bolton (9 games in first 2 years), Tyson Stengle (4 games in first 3 years and 16 in first 5) or Harry McKay (2 games in first 2 years)?

I'd be pretty happy with any pick 11 going all Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Luke Pedlar

Back