News Mackay re-signs for 2021 + Gallucci, Poholke, Crocker delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Hearung that DMac offers a lot off field...has he ever been in the leadership group?
I have no idea where this comes from. Have never heard a single young player mention him when they talk about people at the club who has helped them. Heck, even watching the pre-season training he was off on his own doing it and not with the larger group of 20 odd guys who started training.

Not disputing that at all.

I understand that wasn't who Hamish wanted.

But ultimately Pyke didn't say pick Galluci, he said give me a midfielder with speed. Hamish made the decision to pick Galucci and something in the formula failed to predict how Galucci would ultimately end up. I know it's extremely difficult to predict these things, but it is 100 percent his job to do this, hence why I think he can't just wash his hands of it and blame Pyke.
You're just being obstinate now, there were no midfielders with top end pace other than Gallucci at that point in the draft (most certainly none with Gooch's credentials) and any recruiter given the brief Pyke gave Hamish would have taken Gallucci. The midfielder with top end speed other than Gallucci did not exist after his pick, there were some very nice midfielders still on the board but none with the C.V. Pyke gave the recruiting team. If you think there were provide some names

C'mon Baccs, I've done more than my share of defending the club over time but this is just plain and simple a ridiculous decision.

Only a couple of weeks ago I thought we were finally heading in the right direction but signing a 32 year old when in a rebuilding phase is nonsensical whatever way you slice it.
He gets where he needs to be at 32 over the 3 delistees by meeting the requirements and doing it better.
Must suck to be him if he got the offer.

I'd love to hear that interview...
I posted it at the time and several times after so you maybe still be able to locate it. I remember posting it for WaynesWorld19 so he can probably back up what I said if you can't locateit.

Leadership at SANFL level for the younger players, where I suspect he will play most of his footy.
He’ll probably play games but he is designed for development role post footy because he is extremely professional.

I'd love to hear that interview...
I can back Mutineer up on this ....English was the recruiting dept's preferred player, but was overruled for speed by the Coach

Maybe we do but Gallucci is just about the worst exanple you could possibly find knowing full well that there was "interference" from above his pay level. Phil Bunn who was one of our key scouts at the time made it well known in an interview on trade radio a couple of years ago that Tim English was the player Hamish had settled on with the Gallucci pick but was overruled by Pyke who wanted speed.

Leon Davis, Michael Doughty, Daniel Giansiracusa, Shaun McManus, Leigh Brown
You forgot Rocca hehe

What absolute tripe, Giansiricusa, Leon Davis and Leigh Brown were stratospheres above Mackay performance wise....Davis in particular was one of the most damaging forwards of his era.
Ha Davis was neon in regular season, post season went not so good.😐

Underrated quote of the thread.
Bleeds for the club. Best whipping boy ever.

I'm really sick of hearing things like "bleeds for the club" in defence of mediocre players tbh.

Like firstly, that's a ****ing pre-requisite and why you receive all that money every year.

Secondly, people who genuinely care about a cause would put it before their interests and either, you know, be better players or move on.

Chalking up 250 games of shit football and raking in wheelbarrows full of cash to do it aren't selfless acts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no reasonable explanation for our handling of Gallucci.

He was literally in our team, and playing ok- certainly at a Mackay standard, right up until he got concussed in that showdown. Suddenly in the weeks that followed he was behind senior players in the pecking order and we supposedly discovered all of these red flags that meant that we could never look at him again and he wasnt AFL standard. Did he break a team rule by getting concussed or something?

If you had any trust in our club at all you might accept it, but given their history of being wrong about abso-****ing-lutely everything this has the usual stink.

You're just being obstinate now, there were no midfielders with top end pace other than Gallucci at that point in the draft (most certainly none with Gooch's credentials) and any recruiter given the brief Pyke gave Hamish would have taken Gallucci. The midfielder with top end speed other than Gallucci did not exist after his pick, there were some very nice midfielders still on the board but none with the C.V. Pyke gave the recruiting team. If you think there were provide some names

You already mentioned one yourself, Bolton. Sure he hadn't really played midfield, but again that's the job of a recruiter to see potential and not just what the kids done to date. Hamish has also shown that he is capable of seeing and picking on potential, by picking Danger when he'd played very little midfield. He clearly has the capacity and talent to do that.

It's ultimately a call he made as he did on Polholke. You take the bad with the good, not sure why this is such an offensive or difficult concept.

I'll bet Hamish himself would have no issue owning up to that.

This is healthy accountability that you need in organisations.

I'm really sick of hearing things like "bleeds for the club" in defence of mediocre players tbh.

Like firstly, that's a ******* pre-requisite and why you receive all that money every year.

Secondly, people who genuinely care about a cause would put it before their interests and either, you know, be better players or move on.

Chalking up 250 games of sh*t football and raking in wheelbarrows full of cash to do it aren't selfless acts.
If it’s a pre requisite we haven’t had many takers ffs.
He doesn’t receive a lot of money for starters.
I liked Gallucci but fact is he probably gain a more lucrative contract and not be available till mid year.
Not too hard to get the head around the decision making here.

I posted it at the time and several times after so you maybe still be able to locate it. I remember posting it for WaynesWorld19 so he can probably back up what I said if you can't locateit.

Read 5 posts in the first 9/10 pages - wonder how long it took for the

"you know I was really angry at the club about Mackay, but having thought about it I can see what the club is trying to achieve " posts to show up
Nice fence sit post tbh.
Claiming anything?

We can’t honestly be critical of the club this year for not playing youth. There were some games when we looked like a reserves side, and it is a balancing act with players like McAsey and Butts to avoid them losing all confidence when they are being exposed on the big stage.
I think Butts could be a really good player, however the pantsing Harry Mackay was giving him against Carlton can’t be good for his long term confidence.
You’re always gonna get schooled in your career. When you do at top of your game is more to be worried about.
Butts shouldn’t blink an eye regarding his experiences so far and will use it as a tool to be better next time up.
If he’s mentally scarred from that then it’s a clear indication he’s not up to it.
I’m sure he will persevere.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Mackay re-signs for 2021 + Gallucci, Poholke, Crocker delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back