Gaming Madden 09

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Madden 09 - Discussion Thread

For beginners it's best to let the CPU do as much as possible as they grasp the fundamentals. I always start off as a DT and quickly move to the nearest player to the ball. That way you can pick off a lot of passes, where you only have control over the last couple of seconds of the CB (say) rather than more time where your thumbstick motions can mess up his good positioning.

I always end up having to play as Nnamdi because he gets spanked as the CPU.
Not with me. Nnamdi dominates, #1 rule when playing Oakland. Always, always avoid Nnamdi, unless you are New England than just go with a streak to Moss.
For beginners it's best to let the CPU do as much as possible as they grasp the fundamentals. I always start off as a DT and quickly move to the nearest player to the ball. That way you can pick off a lot of passes, where you only have control over the last couple of seconds of the CB (say) rather than more time where your thumbstick motions can mess up his good positioning.
Im the exact same. Some games I get plenty of sacks the next I get plenty of interceptions, and the next I get neither but force incompletions and still keep a team to less than 2TD.

It is so easy to read CB blitzes in the game, every time I get a TD. Well except once where the MLB, cut of the Slant route but that is only once since I got the game.

Just throw a Post, in or slant route against the CB blitz. TD most times.

madden hasnt changed after 50 million years and supposed EA make-overs. Posts and slant routes all day. Not to mention the horrible stiff collision dynamics/animation.

2k football series always has been far better overall but especially in collision dynamics/animation, best compared in the running game between madden and 2k. So much more fluid and closer to real physics, seeing people fighting for yards, getting dragged down, or spinning out of tackles while in a tackle.

Whereas madden soon as two bodies come near each other its like two bowling balls hitting each other and bouncing off falling to the ground.

Re: Australian Gridiron Leagues

After playing (and losing) some more Madden 09 tonight, i'm more hooked than ever ;)

Look forward to going to watch some SA Gridiron next sat night :D

Wait till you play online matches against real people. Even more fun because you're playing humans, who dont play like CPUs. And games are often crazy with intensity.

Wait till you play online matches against real people. Even more fun because you're playing humans, who dont play like CPUs. And games are often crazy with intensity.

Played some 2 player versus matches with my girlfriends brother today. Good fun. :thumbsu:

Geez it's tough to stop/intercept passes though.

Just try to switch to the DB at the right time, let the CPU do most of the leg work getting in good position.

Also, it depends a lot on the types of defensive plays you call. A little more zone defense, and you gotta have the right packages too. If they're playing with say 3 WRs, on the field, you should select Nickel package plays (which put 3 CBS on the field instead of 2). If they use 4 WRs, then you go Dime (4 CBs) etc.

Just try to switch to the DB at the right time, let the CPU do most of the leg work getting in good position.

Also, it depends a lot on the types of defensive plays you call. A little more zone defense, and you gotta have the right packages too. If they're playing with say 3 WRs, on the field, you should select Nickel package plays (which put 3 CBS on the field instead of 2). If they use 4 WRs, then you go Dime (4 CBs) etc.
Or play goalline and sack the QB before they can get it to the WR's.

Sometimes I go with a FG Block, they only get comletion about 20% of the time, but all of those are TD's

I hate it. Alot like to go with Tennessee and get out of the pocket with VY.

Lucky there are CB blitzes in all playbooks.

I dont cheese in Madden and generally dont enjoy playing people who cheese. Tho it can be interesting to try to come up with ways to stop how people do different things. That VY thing, a lot of people also use Browns, Cribbs at QB, for the same reason.

What I hate tho is people who "cant lose" or get stroppy if people score TDs or get a lead early in the game. How they throw a tantrum, log off on you, etc.

I dont cheese in Madden and generally dont enjoy playing people who cheese. Tho it can be interesting to try to come up with ways to stop how people do different things. That VY thing, a lot of people also use Browns, Cribbs at QB, for the same reason.

What I hate tho is people who "cant lose" or get stroppy if people score TDs or get a lead early in the game. How they throw a tantrum, log off on you, etc.
I dont log off. But once when I lost 56-6

I went for 4th down with fake punt runs. It works great against the CPU, but I suck against the players.

Tryed like hell to jump the XP, just gets them 1 yard closer and 2 points instead:rolleyes:

I was I stayed in the pocket like I do alot against CPU, Get sacked all the time, or throw ints.

It is alot harder playing Madden over the net.

especially when there is a delay at your end and FGs, Ps and KOs. All are poorly timed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The delay is mainly due to upstream bandwidth. You get far better games when you either play Aussies, or if you have a really big upstream.

Like, say ADSL2+, with 20,000kbps download, but like 2,000 upload. The more up the better it seems. But Australian ISP's are all tight-ass scam-artists.

agree great avatar.

Im 5-0 with the Raiders in Franchise at the moment.

Just sent the Saints to overtime.

Recovered an onside kick.

McFadden fumbled on the next play.

Saints moved it for 15 yards

went for the field goal but somehow missed from 51 yards (wide right)

Went down the field, another Fumble by McFadden.

Got the interception with 40sec left at my own 35 yard line.

and Jamarcus showed why he was taken at pick #1.

A few passes to Miller on Bootlegs, and Out routes to Walker.

Untill I hit my 1 free agent taken. Terry Glenn for the winning TD.

(I had 3 timeouts)

my normal gameplan (with a shit QB) so Oakland. always run on first down. Run a second down if under 2 & 10. and always pass on 3rd down. if less than 4 & 3 I will play a Punt fake and run it. Usually for 6-15 yards.

Playing Franchise with the Raiders, McFadden broke his wrist in one of the first games of the season and Bush was playing like a beast, averaging 170YPG over 5 games. I'm almost considering trading DMac.

Playing Franchise with the Raiders, McFadden broke his wrist in one of the first games of the season and Bush was playing like a beast, averaging 170YPG over 5 games. I'm almost considering trading DMac.
Send him to the browns for Quinn and a 3rd rd draft pick.

That would be about right.

Oh dear, so my 8yo is not alone in doing this?:eek: I'm trying to teach him to be better and suck it up, but.....

We got the game a month or 2 ago, and seriously, (we've only got PS2) this is the best game for PS2. We don't have a huge range but NFL Football seems a perfect game for a computer game, if I make any sense. All the plays, D set ups especially, are freaking me out though. It's an amazingly technical game. :thumbsu:

Oh dear, so my 8yo is not alone in doing this?:eek: I'm trying to teach him to be better and suck it up, but.....

We got the game a month or 2 ago, and seriously, (we've only got PS2) this is the best game for PS2. We don't have a huge range but NFL Football seems a perfect game for a computer game, if I make any sense. All the plays, D set ups especially, are freaking me out though. It's an amazingly technical game. :thumbsu:

You can forgive an 8yo for it. But not grown men online who throw tantrums. (ahem! haha.)
But yeah, Madden is a very good way to get a more "hands-on" understanding of the game, and learn many finer points. In a few weeks, you'll be posting away here about zone blitzes and WR screens and how to beat Tampa2 defenses.

You can forgive an 8yo for it. But not grown men online who throw tantrums. (ahem! haha.)
But yeah, Madden is a very good way to get a more "hands-on" understanding of the game, and learn many finer points. In a few weeks, you'll be posting away here about zone blitzes and WR screens and how to beat Tampa2 defenses.

Highly doubt it, I'm struggling with the blitzes part alone, right now. Although I know there is one of the defenses that never works for me, but I'll bet I'm playing it wrong.

The only running game that worked for me was when I was the Eagles and had Westbrook, he ran through brick walls all day!

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaming Madden 09

Remove this Banner Ad

Back