Malthouse - The Recycle King?

Remove this Banner Ad

adelaides relevance to the thread?

Cheers mate, you just proved my point on how hypocritical these guys can be sometimes.

Both Collingwood and Adelaide have much to look forward to in '09, and sometimes the bitterness of other teams towards seeing this happen can be so blatantly obvious, as it is in this thread.

It's laughable people come on here bagging Malthouse for taking his club to 2 Grand Finals while there club have won 0 and played in 0 in the same time.

They then bag him for picking up a 26 year old who has played 181 games in 8-9 years and fits a need. If a complete dud has averaged 18 - 20 games a year at 26 then the coach of his previous club has to be the luckiest man alive if he still has a job or he ain't nowhere near as bad as most make out to be and he will be a very good back up at worst if needed.

Sorry, I'm not that interested in the thread or the tit-for-tat argument it has become, but someone a while back raised an interesting point:

Other than MM, has any coach in the history of the VFL-AFL coached for 14 straight seasons without winning a flag? ... I seriously doubt it.

For the record, I don't mind him.

Today MM officially surpassed Sheeds as the king of the recycled draft pick. To be fair if Sheeds was still coaching the Bombers would have Ben on their list next year.

Anyway, will taking Leigh Brown cost him his job next year?

Will the media start hounding him and scrutinise his record if things don't go well?

Will Eddie lose confidence in him?

How do Pie fans feel after taking 101 KPP types over the past few years and now topping up with a recycled hack?

Pick 73 is serious business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, I'm not that interested in the thread or the tit-for-tat argument it has become, but someone a while back raised an interesting point:

Other than MM, has any coach in the history of the VFL-AFL coached for 14 straight seasons without winning a flag? ... I seriously doubt it.

For the record, I don't mind him.

The answer is no. MM holds the record for coaching the most consecutive seasons without winning a flag without being sacked.

Leigh Brown is a smart choice at pick 73. At worst he is insurance for Presti and Brown. At best he is another Wakelin. MM can't lose on this one. I don't think even the most pessimistic Collingwood supporter could become angry over this.

I think the OP should be far more concerned about the possible ramifications of picking a KPB in Hurley instead of midfield oprions in Ziebell, Rich, Sidebottom and Yarran. From all reports Hurley is no sure thing. Hopefully it's another Kepler Bradley.

Chad Morrison, Andrew Williams, Chad Rintoul and Scott Cummings.

Rintoul looked before migranes finished his career. Williams and Morrison were horrible. Scott Cummings wasn't that bad just was too old and injury prone.

I'd say Medhurst, Holland, Wkaelin and Clement are three examples that suggest MM should take a punt on Brown. Particuarly when you consider that he has played under some ordinary coaches.

The answer is no. MM holds the record for coaching the most consecutive seasons without winning a flag without being sacked.

I thought as much. Cheers.

I watched Medhurst kick 9 against the lions at Subiaco in 2004, he was never a spud. What he's showing now at Collingwood that he rarely did at Fremantle is consistency. ... Like so many others that have left the club.

if u look we didnt really have an option
brown played a bulk of the games but had noticable fatigue after about halfway through the season
presti played 2 matches this year
we dont have anyone else with any sort of experience in a key defensive post
dare i say that reid will be moved to chb but looking at how young he and brown are, and presti's injury history, we are still quite a few games short from a key defender

was drafted to add some depth, not for the purpose of becoming a starting 22 player
IMO will end up playing 6 or so games to cover for injuries

who knows, he used to play for freo, now at collingwood, anything can happen!

Geez I would hate to see what a bad pickup was then.
Did you actually see Murph or Allan play? I'm guessing not. And Campo also performed pretty well, but his main role was mentoring the young guys.

Not every player is picked up to win a Brownlow.

I thought as much. Cheers.

I watched Medhurst kick 9 against the lions at Subiaco in 2004, he was never a spud. What he's showing now at Collingwood that he rarely did at Fremantle is consistency. ... Like so many others that have left the club.

Absolutely spot on. I think Collingwood supporters like to pump up MM a bit so they have this idea in thier heads that Medhurst was a spud at Fremantle. He was always very talented and on his day he was an absolute matchwinner. As you rightly pointed out he has become far more consistant at Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Malthouse - The Recycle King?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back