Player Watch Mark Keane - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Keane has inbuilt tendencies to want to protect the goals ....there's been a few times you can witness his dilemma of going with his man or falling back to the goal square

That's just experience, the more footy he plays, the more those decisions will come naturally

I don’t really see the protect the goals argument.

He’s a defender who is almost entirely focussed on getting to the ball which is why he’s a great interceptor. What it means though is that he does not engage the body of his opponent early a lot of the time.

If you look at a lot of the times he’s beaten it’s because he’s allowed the forward a clean run at the ball and is out of position because he has failed to engage early.

The best defenders have the ability to judge when to win the ball and when to halve the contest. It’s something that Worrell I think does really well. It’s not something I think Keane will ever really have.

Macca is full of it.
Yeah, the guy was just unsigned going into September so we thought everything was going perfectly to plan and that it meant staying was a done deal

What you're completely missing is the reason why he left in the first place. At a time when the world had been and still was in turmoil this young guy wanted to be with his family which was 15000kms away. He didn't leave because of bad character, in fact he left for the completely opposite reason.

Fortunately Nicks has finally come out and said he "can guarantee that is not the case." when asked if Keane had walked out on the club, so we can allay the fear he's walked away because of whatever shit we want to invent, but with what just happened to Rachelle, everything pointed towards bad blood - now, not so much.

Why in hells name would you believe anything Matthew Nicks says?

Or is this a pisstake?

If Mark Keane leaving us is proof of a poorly run club, does it make the club better than Collingwood if he turns out to be staying?

Or is Mark Keane's loyalty actually not that big a factor in club administration? 🤔

But there is so much more evidence that we are a poorly run club.
How do you factor in all those other variables?

_
If they get 26 for Noble, I’d ask for that and maybe a small future upgrade

If they get 34, I’d ask for 32 and 34 for Keane and 42/F3, then either trade one of them for ANB, or use both to help Brisbane get some points?
I wonder and spitballed this as it could open things up for us

Crows
Out: 43 and keane
In: 48 and coll f2

Then 27 + f2 for luko
Then f3 and 48 for ANB
Cumming as a free agent
Wangle one or 2 fringe player trades for late picks for welsh

Leaves us with 4 in this draft and we still hold a f1 and f2 so still remain strong next year. Maybe we try and bring our f1 in this year on draft night and then just need to engineer an f3 back.

_

I wonder and spitballed this as it could open things up for us

Crows
Out: 43 and keane
In: 48 and coll f2

Then 27 + f2 for luko
Then f3 and 48 for ANB
Cumming as a free agent
Wangle one or 2 fringe player trades for late pucks for welsh

Leaves us with 4 in this draft and we still hold a f1 and f2 so still remain strong next year. Maybe we try and bring our f1 in this year on draft night and then just need to engineer an f3 back.
I’m not sure Melb would take that for ANB, I think they’ll at minimum want a pick in the mid 30’s. Or a 20’s pick with something else coming our way (though I’d like to keep a 20’s pick somehow this year, if possible)

But any scenario where we both get Luko/ANB/Cumming, and maintain flexibility over our F1, is a win, I think

I’m not sure Melb would take that for ANB, I think they’ll at minimum want a pick in the mid 30’s. Or a 20’s pick with something else coming our way (though I’d like to keep a 20’s pick somehow this year, if possible)

But any scenario where we both get Luko/ANB/Cumming, and maintain flexibility over our F1, is a win, I think
Yeah, lots of derivations on that but the bones of it might work well for all parties

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weird comparison, Hawks “stayed afloat” because they were the best team in the comp with depth on every line, and still had Roughead and Gunston to step up once Buddy left.

Not sure you can really say that about the Dees.

I do feel for them - the loss of Brayshaw was hugely undervalued, and obviously Oliver having him issues, and now this crazy injury to Petracca.

At least 2 of those 3 issues aren't their fault (even Oliver, to a degree), but has robbed them of what was the best midfield in the comp.

But there is so much more evidence that we are a poorly run club.
How do you factor in all those other variables?
There is. So why jump on the "Keane might leave us like he left Collingwood" to "prove" it's a poorly run club.

It doesn't prove that and just weakens the original opinion. If there is no balance, it makes it hard for that opinion to be trusted.

Stick to the stuff that actually does prove it.

I do feel for them - the loss of Brayshaw was hugely undervalued, and obviously Oliver having him issues, and now this crazy injury to Petracca.

At least 2 of those 3 issues aren't their fault (even Oliver, to a degree), but has robbed them of what was the best midfield in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mark Keane - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Back