Player Watch Mark Keane - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

I like that we’re retaining talent for once but do we really need all these key defenders, the modern game demands defenders who can win ground balls, players are so tall anyone can equalise an aerial contest these days, just look at the hawks. Murray, Butts, Worrell and Keane in the same backline will leak goals. Could’ve atleast considered Collingwoods offer.

I’ve heard from someone involved in the club (but not a player) that it’s his mum who’s genuinely sick and there was an emergency. But strong rumour is he’s massively got the sh!ts too.
The two things are not necessarily connected.
This aged a tad

I like Keane as a play but I love that he flys the flag every time a teammate is treated unfairly by the oppo, we need more like that.

He is one of the few players we have that isn't a crowbot
Needs to reign it in just a bit. Love the aggro and the flag flying but has a tendency to step over the line and give away dumb frees. Just needs to learn to keep it on this side of the line, or do it when the umps aren't looking.

I'm probably 1 of the few but not a fan of this signing ... If he did have interest interstate... We should have traded... Considering that we've given him extra years, it would mean that Collingwood must have offered a decent contract and thus should have offered a decent pick. Berry is also another one who should be traded. What this all means is that there will be no big trades this off season by the looks. So afc will just be doing the same things as usual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A surprise, to be sure

Are we thinking that Butts, Murray, Keane and Worrell all play when available?

Maybe we're looking to free Keane up to be mostly a zone-off attacking player

My guess is Butts will fall out of the best 22 when all are fit. He's the most in no-mans-land out of the four defenders.

Either way, it’s good that we have options. If we’re facing a team with two bigger, dominant KPFs, we can play Butts alongside Murray. Otherwise, play Keane to provide more offensive drive

A surprise, to be sure

Are we thinking that Butts, Murray, Keane and Worrell all play when available?

Maybe we're looking to free Keane up to be mostly a zone-off attacking player
No surprise for me as heard he had agreed to terms before he rushed home for family reasons... but can never be sure to you get the signature.

This year showed once again we need depth as there will usually be an injury... & if there isn't, we can still rotate the 4 players to keep them fresh.

Further, it would allow us to consider using Worell & Murray in other roles, particularly if we have injuries up forward.

As for our best 22, for me Murray & Worrell certainties, then out of Keane & Butts depending on opposition matchups.

He impressed me a lot this year. I seem to recall every decent era where we played well we had that one on one defender that just out bodied or out marked that key forward. I’m not sure he will be out bodying some of the bigger bodies, but he reads the ball in the air well enough to take that intercept mark. A fit and in form Smith type of player would benefit from a Keane. Could Curten play that role or do we think he’s a mid?

So now that we have him for another four seasons, the discussion turns to how to get the best out of him.

I think his kicking is a weapon, and he's clearly useful as an intercept player. He's tough and competitive. However, he can get lost 1 on 1, particularly if he gets sucked up the ground and he loses track of where his opponent is.

Do we just lock him in as a KPD and accept the bad with the good, and cast Butts back to the SANFL as key position depth? Alternatively, can we afford to play all four of Murray, Butts, Keane and Worrell in defence, with Keane playing as either a third tall or intercepting player as required, with Hinge moving permanently to the wing and Michalanney spending some time in the midfield? Or do we break the glass and try to play one of the four as a forward, particularly with Walker most likely in his final season? Funnily enough, out of the four of them, I probably think Keane is the most likely to make it as a forward.

I like that we’re retaining talent for once but do we really need all these key defenders, the modern game demands defenders who can win ground balls, players are so tall anyone can equalise an aerial contest these days, just look at the hawks. Murray, Butts and Keane in the same backline will leak goals. Could’ve atleast considered Collingwoods offer.
He would have fetched more than Berry but I doubt we get anything more than an early second for him. With all the academy/father son bullshit, where would that pick end up?

Very happy with this. Enough to make my first post in six months! Can’t have enough talented and skilful players in your team. He’s the cream in our defence not the cake. We just need more cake.
Reckon we have the cake in defence too.

We just need more in the midfield.

Good to hear from you again. :)

Do we roll with Butts, Muzz and Keane down back and see what Worrell has up forward? Hopefully we at least trial it in the off-season.
Mark Keane has a couple of real strengths over Murray and Butts. He's a far more attacking and accurate kick and he's a better mark.(Of course he's a better mark...get it...oh never mind).
Murray is a good mark but I think he's limited by always competing against some oppo gorilla.

Murray and Butts are better lockdown KPDs than Keane though.

So.. thinking through this...

Move Keane upfield somewhat where his rookie errors are less devastating. It also provides an excellent marking target along the line. Additionally, his short pass kicking could be awesome and dangerous to the oppo if he was spearing his 45° passes from the wing. I'm not sure of the tank for a wingman but with ball in hand, I'd be happy for him to deliver into F50.

In short, I think he has scope beyond just a KPD.

Well played by Keane and his manager. Used Pies strong interest to extract three more years and no doubt at significantly more premium KPD money from 2025 not 2026 with the new contract over writing the old peanuts $ contract

We finally did the sensible thing rather than scrooging as we have in the past. We've got plenty of cap space and are sensibly using it

On the flip side, I can see us being the next Gold Coast. A club that hasn't played finals in a decade having to shed players on salary dumps. That Laird appears to not have had large chunks frontloaded is very concerning. We're potentially ponying up above the odds on lots of signings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mark Keane - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Back