Player Watch Mark Keane - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

On the flip side, I can see us being the next Gold Coast. A club that hasn't played finals in a decade having to shed players on salary dumps. That Laird appears to not have had large chunks frontloaded is very concerning. We're potentially ponying up above the odds on lots of signings.

At some point you do need to get rewarded for development - ok we've offered more to Keane than Collingwood would have. Theres also a massive sunk cost in just trading him and then drafting an 18 year old who takes 4+ years to develop....

I am all for trading people like Laird, but there are far too many posters who just think that trading someone like Keane would automatically be a 'win'. We might end up with absolutely nothing for him and suddenly have another gap in the team to fill.

One difference between us and the Gold Coast is they are a team who play in front of 80 suppoters every week, for all of our faults - playing for the AFC is at least in most players eyes a big club. We have 40k+ supporters at the games, who are passionate.

On the flip side, I can see us being the next Gold Coast. A club that hasn't played finals in a decade having to shed players on salary dumps. That Laird appears to not have had large chunks frontloaded is very concerning. We're potentially ponying up above the odds on lots of signings.

Gold Coast are an extreme case though, they have 16 first round draft picks on their list. They basically have every year 1-3 high level talents that are being offered huge coin elsewhere that they need to try and keep.

I think we are fine for cap space. I wouldn't be surprised if we are deliberately running lean to improve the books before we get into a shitload of debt. Same goes for our football department.

List spots are where we pin ourselves into a corner.

ok, so I have mixed feelings about this re-signing.

On the one hand, he is possibly at his ceiling (in terms of output, and Trade value).
His output is serviceable....started off well this year, but stagnated somewhat. He was great last year.
His trade value may have netted us some currency to further develop our list...namely the midfield, or ruck.
Key defenders are somewhat easy to find (our history shows that).

On the other hand, he is the type of defender that we don't have any more of...and we can't just keep turning over our defense. It needs to settle.
Keane can play tall tall or tall or medium. He is athletic and can carry the ball. he provides more with ball in hand than Butts and Murray, that's for sure.

I think our ideal back 3 at this point is Murray, Keane, Worrell...no surprises there. Just not sure where that leaves Butts.
Is he now purely backup? If so, Borlase is largely redundant.

I'm probably 1 of the few but not a fan of this signing ... If he did have interest interstate... We should have traded... Considering that we've given him extra years, it would mean that Collingwood must have offered a decent contract and thus should have offered a decent pick. Berry is also another one who should be traded. What this all means is that there will be no big trades this off season by the looks. So afc will just be doing the same things as usual.
Keane is an average to above average quality player who is still improving. Why would you trade him for a second round pick, where the drafted player will take 3 years to, maybe, get to where Keane is now?

He's 24 and he's only been playing the game for a handful of years. All the Irish players get better with time and a lot play well into their 30s also. If he stays fit and continues to improve whilst maturing and limiting his mistakes, we haven't seen his ceiling as yet.
Would not be surprised if he finished top 5 in B&F after his start to the season.

I think we are fine for cap space. I wouldn't be surprised if we are deliberately running lean to improve the books before we get into a shitload of debt. Same goes for our football department.

List spots are where we pin ourselves into a corner.

Almost zero doubt we done spend full soft cap and minimum TPP. But surely the last 3-4 years still sees a lot of frontloading even spending only the minimum 95%.

As I stated in the SANFL thread early in the 2023 season, I am a big fan of Keane. I believe we have just seen the tip of the iceberg. He is 24, never played AFL until he was 20 and has now played 4 seasons of AFL

I believe that both Keane and Worrell can play other roles than KPD. The good news is that if we have resigned Borlase, we ain’t planning to play Curtin as a KPD next year.

If Keane has walked, it's because he's experienced how a decent club is run. Collingwood, even with all the shit that's gone on there, is a better option.

Can't wait to hear the stories as to why. If indeed it's fact.

Not selected this week. There's something up.
Your thoughts now?

My god there was a lot of bedwetting over this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we keep Berry and Keane, the two players with realistic trade value.

Let's hope we actually have a plan to utilise them properly.
I don't understand you not being happy keeping Keane .....was one player who came on in leaps and bounds this year, under a flood of D50 entries

ok, so I have mixed feelings about this re-signing.

On the one hand, he is possibly at his ceiling (in terms of output, and Trade value).
His output is serviceable....started off well this year, but stagnated somewhat. He was great last year.
His trade value may have netted us some currency to further develop our list...namely the midfield, or ruck.
Key defenders are somewhat easy to find (our history shows that).

On the other hand, he is the type of defender that we don't have any more of...and we can't just keep turning over our defense. It needs to settle.
Keane can play tall tall or tall or medium. He is athletic and can carry the ball. he provides more with ball in hand than Butts and Murray, that's for sure.

I think our ideal back 3 at this point is Murray, Keane, Worrell...no surprises there. Just not sure where that leaves Butts.
Is he now purely backup? If so, Borlase is largely redundant.
the Borlase re-signing is the bit that puzzled me. Made sense if Keane was gone, but not now. Did we panic, did Borlase have an offer on the table from someone else, was Keane gone but has since changed his mind?

Given they follow Port makes sense.

Now after they possibly lose on Friday night, perhaps get on the phone to 5AA after the game and say Butters is leaving.
goes both ways plenty of fake callers on 5aa but unlike others on here i likely listening to it. plus i get to hear all the adelaide local news in the breaks.

the Borlase re-signing is the bit that puzzled me. Made sense if Keane was gone, but not now. Did we panic, did Borlase have an offer on the table from someone else, was Keane gone but has since changed his mind?
lets stress when we see a club announcement that borlase was signed. why wouldn't they have posted it to socials and website like every other resigning?

No, no and no.

Re Borlase clubs have had plenty of opportunities to lure him if he had genuine interest elsewhere.

Im just happy he didnt hear the bullshit our supporter base came up with to dismiss what apparently was legitimate family reasons to go home

Or he leveraged it to get a massive pay raise.

You know - the same way Brodie Smiths agent leveraged his contract extension clause to stop him from getting dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mark Keane - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Back