Player Watch Mark Keane - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

so why do you reckon we re-signed him then. Seems like one big bodied defender too many (possibly)
Where has the club published we've re-signed him on their website?

I can't find anything?

Footywire has updated Keane to 2028 but Borlase still reads 2024?

Walker updated to 2025?

Berry updated to 2026?

Keane is an average to above average quality player who is still improving. Why would you trade him for a second round pick, where the drafted player will take 3 years to, maybe, get to where Keane is now?
I view keane in the same league as hartigan ... Plays ok for most of the match.

But makes a mistake that directly cost goals at least 2 times a game.... Momentum killers... And these players never get it out of their games.

Where has the club published we've re-signed him on their website?

I can't find anything?

Footywire has updated Keane to 2028 but Borlase still reads 2024?

Walker updated to 2025?

Berry updated to 2026?

Surely they got it wrong and there was enough doubt re Keane that we had progressed with Borlase to the point of if Keane doesn’t take this offer we will trade him and offer you x

7 got wind and reported on the x…?

Even Borlase interview on news when leaving his exit interview spoke in a way that his future would rely on other things and be resolved later but was aware of how it may play out

And I think he experienced similar last year. Unsure when he actually resigned but was late, maybe after pettyfell through?

But makes a mistake that directly cost goals at least 2 times a game.... Momentum killers... And these players never get it out of their games.
This is interesting because i feel like it goes a bit the other way as well. He does weird things occasionally given his background that catch other players off guard and work out quite well. I recall one of his 'soccering' the ball off the ground efforts this year as an example.

I think i'd rather a skillful player who occasionally does stupid things than the myriad honest battlers we endlessly persist with. I feel like keane has more potential upside than berry given his intercept marking and penetrating kick.

Loved Keane before he had 9 kicked on him by Amarty, right in front if where we sit.
Hoping it was just an aberration. Very good news his re-signing.

Sometimes shit happens, Keane has kept better players than Amarty to 0 goals ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a pretty low effort post.
Then I'll put some more effort in.

If we traded Rankine, Thilthorpe, Soligo or Dawson, we would get very good first round picks. But everyone knows that would be a stupid thing to do, because any players we get with those trade picks will take years to be as good as those players, if they make it to that level at all. Drafting is risky, even with good picks and we need players of the quality of that current 4 to push for a premiership.

Trading out Keane (especially) and Berry similarly makes no sense, for very similar but less extreme reasons (hence the comparison).

Both Keane and Berry are top 30 players, with Keane probably in the 15 to 20 range and improving. Both are young enough to be still improving.

We probably get a second rounder for Keane and a third to fourth at best for Berry.

This is a deep draft, but any players we get with those trade picks will take years to be as good as Keane and Berry, if they make it to that level at all. A pretty big percentage of players don't make it at all, particularly outside the top 30 picks. Yes, we could get the next superstar, but it's far more likely that we get another Gollant and probably have too low a pick to get another McHenry.

And no premiership team has ever had a team of only above average players (which Keane is almost one of, and in my opinion will be soon). Premiership teams have average, below average and even poor rated players in their squads. The best teams have few poor players that get a game, but a good mix of elite to below average players.

That's not to say we should be trying to draft below average players (eg Berry). We should be drafting the best players we can with the picks we have, but need to realise that what we will get is a mix of elite to poor quality players.

We therefore should be culling the poor players (like Gollant and Burgess) to roll the dice on draftees. Because the draftees hopefully are better than these players and, if not, we still haven't weakened our top 30.

There are 12 players outside of our current top 30. Cull some of these (not Edwards or Ryan), not Keane and Berry.

Both Keane and Berry are top 30 players, with Keane probably in the 15 to 20 range and improving. Both are young enough to be still improving.
I dont mind your analysis but I would have done different

Can you expand on this point please?

Top 30 at the club? Top 30 in the AFL? Or where their trade position drops if we were to trade them?

I dont mind your analysis but I would have done different

Can you expand on this point please?

Top 30 at the club? Top 30 in the AFL? Or where their trade position drops if we were to trade them?
Top 30 at the club. This isn't the same across clubs, as a rebuilding club's top 30 isn't going to bevas good as a contending club's top 30.

On an AFL basis, using the AFL ranking system, Keane is somewhere between an average (AFL top 370, think average club top 20) and above average (AFL top 185, think average club top 10).

Berry is, in my opinion, below average (AFL 371 to 550, think average club top 30).

Worth having in our top 30, and a similar quality player to (premiership player) Billy Frampton.

I’ve mentioned this multiple times too, but Nicks should’ve moved Keane off of Amartey once he started to get a run on

But Maffew gonna Maffew

The Amartey game was absolutely a coaching blunder. Team defensive structure fell apart that day isolating Keane
who was hung out to dry. You have to go back a long way in football to have a full back totally responsible for a full forward all game.

Still have a vhs tape of Mods kicking 13 on the full back of the century if you want to see a mauling.

Berry is, in my opinion, below average (AFL 371 to 550, think average club top 30).

Worth having in our top 30, and a similar quality player to (premiership player) Billy Frampton.

Disagree here.

Berry is a dime a dozen in the SANFL / VFL.

What differentiates Big Bad Billy - is that there are very few 200cm players that are good enough to play footy.

Keane is in a different league to Hartigan. Hartigan was average defensively and not very good with ball in hand.

On an AFL basis, using the AFL ranking system, Keane is somewhere between an average (AFL top 370, think average club top 20) and above average (AFL top 185, think average club top 10).

It's ball park though it's worth noting the benchmarking is position specific.

Right now you're looking off 2024 the 17th best KPD in the league and 11th best at Adelaide by CD ratings. Though it's likely that number raises to 9-10 at most clubs due to a quirk in Adelaide's build at the moment where we have a lot of players who punch between a 10-12 average (which likely isn't a good thing).

Last edited:
Keane is in a different league to Hartigan. Hartigan was average defensively and not very good with ball in hand.

Keane is also new to the game. Its worth the risk to gamble on him improving defensively, especially given he's already very good offensively.

The other bloke wasn't known as Brain Fartigan for nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mark Keane - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Back