Mark Neeld to coach.... thoughts??

Remove this Banner Ad

It's an interesting mix.
Bailey seemed to spend 3 years copying the cats game plan (but lacked experienced players to implement it)
Neeld is a defensive styled coach.

It might work well. The kids will be taught to tighten up but will still have that under lying attacking flair that was trained into them early.

Could be exciting.

Good luck with it all :thumbsu:

I always thought like this. I understood Bailey's direction, but with little leadership and a structure that doesn't have the functionality one would expect a free-flowing handballing side to have, it was never going to work. Bailey didn't acknowledge this, and was a stubborn dill.

What frustrated me the most was that for the Adelaide game, we'd come off a belting the week before to win by 100 points. His response?

"We went back to basics"

So wait, what? Your gameplay doesn't work so you go "back to basics"? Alarm bells ran for me from then on.

I'm optimistic. Not ecstatic because I want experience, but this guy is getting more good references than Bailey ever did.

From The Age today...
"I simply want to coach the team that's the hardest to play against in the AFL," Neeld told reporters on Saturday.
Asked if that meant a defensive emphasis, he said: "That means all over the ground we're going to be the hardest to play against, that's what our aim is, as simple as that."

There should be quite a few on the MFC list who should read this and think about it...some will have to toughen up and hopefully Mark Neeld will show them the door if they aren't prepared to put themselves on the line.

Haven't read any of the previous posts but listening to Neeld on the M's I'm pretty happy. Sounds like he wont take crap and is determined to make us hard. From everything i've read and heard i think he's the man. Very happy.:thumbsu:

Sounds arrogant and hungry. The opposite of Dean.
My first impression of him too.Not what he said but his demeanor came off that way when in the DeeTV interview he wouldn't answer a couple of questions he was asked.

I wonder why a Morton & Martin were signed just a few days before he was appointed. I assume they had discussed required players at the club & whoe he would let go & Morton was a required player.

I was one of many who wanted an experienced coach to get the job, but the more I learn about Mark Neeld, the happier I become about the choice the club has made. That steely glare and direct manner will leave underperformers in no doubt about what they have to do to keep their jobs. Hopefully he is given the leeway to do things his way and put his stamp on the club. Right on!

Quote Neeld:

"There's a fair bit of Blighty, and a fair bit of Mick as well as my own thoughts in my coaching."

Have we acquired God Himself?

I also thought safety first would have been better with an experienced coach eg. Mark Williams, Ross Lyon, etc. etc. However, with Mark Neeld now in the chair, that whole debate is totally irrelevant and needs to be left behind. The new coach is up and running. Some of the imformation coming out about him inspires a lot of confidence - it sounds like he won't be learning on the job and on his L plates in 2012...something which seemed to be the case with DB. I think a lot of us have been burnt by the DB experiment.

I echo superfreak's sentiment, I think this is a fantastic appointment, which I suppose only time will tell, but congrats. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only thing I question about this whole thing is why did we sign players like Morton before we got a senior coach?? If this guy is defensively minded the first thing he will do is look at out list and draw a line through our front runners... I reckon half our problem is the list management side if things. Neeld has a massive job ahead of him. Make no mistake this list needs major work done to it and he's already on the back foot in my opinion.

On the Shwabb and Connolly fiasco I can almost guarantee that both of them will be staying at the club next year. This boys club will continue to role on until someone shows some balls.

The only thing I question about this whole thing is why did we sign players like Morton before we got a senior coach?? If this guy is defensively minded the first thing he will do is look at out list and draw a line through our front runners... I reckon half our problem is the list management side if things. Neeld has a massive job ahead of him. Make no mistake this list needs major work done to it and he's already on the back foot in my opinion.

On the Shwabb and Connolly fiasco I can almost guarantee that both of them will be staying at the club next year. This boys club will continue to role on until someone shows some balls.

Morton is a 4th year player that has potential, why would we have players like Newton in melbourne list for 5-6 years and not give Morton an another chance,

P.S- Morton had two bad years because of injuries in pre season, if he has a good pre season he will be in the category of best 10 players of dees.

To go on with what Demon1993 said we would have signed Morton with the belief that a new coach would get the very best out of him. He has signed on for 2 years and if he hasn't turned it around by then, then he is out the door. Makes perfect sense.

Love the comment at the press conference when he mentioned that he has come from a professional organisation that has supported him and everyone that works there. Hopefully the blokes sitting on either side of him took notice of this.

I'm not sure why some supporters don't understand why we contract players. Even if we plan on trading them it's best to have them secured. Especially in the current environment.

Most contracted players that are on the fringe will agree to a trade if it's 'sold' as being in their best interests.

Neeld interview on the ABC. Very interesting:

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/afl/audio/

love the comment he made about the holes in our list and how he said to the panel he expected them to be addressed by the club in its recruitment.

Trade week could be very interesting whether it's players or picks.

Anone notice his right eye twitching during the interview?

Kinda reminded me of this guy
9.jpg

I like the man already. Hopefully he is Hard, Uncompromising and Brutal some thing this club hasn't been for 47 years.

I think these team of squibbs will be in for a big surprise come pre season time. Wouldn't be surprised if they start a lot earlier than the rest.

On another note it would be actually nice of the so called "Captain" to mention something about the new coach on his twitter instead of talking about Pizza. Im going to actually ask Neeld at the B&F if he can ask Green-vest to give his captaincy to someone more worthy.

Anone notice his right eye twitching during the interview?

Kinda reminded me of this guy
9.jpg

I noticed that too - could possibly have something to do with the brain surgery he recently had.

I like the man already. Hopefully he is Hard, Uncompromising and Brutal some thing this club hasn't been for 47 years.

I think these team of squibbs will be in for a big surprise come pre season time. Wouldn't be surprised if they start a lot earlier than the rest.

On another note it would be actually nice of the so called "Captain" to mention something about the new coach on his twitter instead of talking about Pizza. Im going to actually ask Neeld at the B&F if he can ask Green-vest to give his captaincy to someone more worthy.

I don't think captains are judged by what they write on twitter. Neeld is going to laugh at u at the B&F

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Neeld to coach.... thoughts??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back