Mark Thompson cost Gary Ablett Brownlow: manager Liam Pickering

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood 4 eternity

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agreeed GAJ would have bolted the Brownlow for sure , last year had he played more time in the midfield.

GARY Ablett's manager Liam Pickering has taken a swipe at Mark Thompson, claiming the former Geelong coach cost Ablett a second Brownlow Medal last year.

"He was having as good a year as he'd ever had until he started being moved forward deliberately," Pickering said.

"He was leading every award until the wheels started to fall off internally, and at the end of the year it probably cost him the Brownlow. It probably cost him every other media award, since he was in that sort of form."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...low-says-manager/story-e6frf9jf-1226037492182

what an idiot. If Gaz is lamenting the 'lost Brownlow' perhaps he should remember the two premiership medals in his sock drawer largely thanks to Thompson. Believe it or not its it not the job of a coach to look after the interests of one player.

Selfish player and equally selfish manager it would seem. :thumbsdown:

I couldn't care less if Gary won the Brownlow last year. As others have said, it's a team sport. We were trying to win the premiership and Thompson was trying to get more goals out of Ablett whilst keeping him fresh for his burst in the midfield.

I've got nothing against Ablett or Thompson. They were a huge part in bringing two premierships that I never thought I'd see. Good luck to them. As for Pickering, I used to like him as a player but seems like a tool as a manager. Any Cat fans know if he is manager to other players of ours?

sounds like good coaching - Bomba knew that Ablett was going to GC so he played Chappy thru the middle more to give him more experience on the ball so when Ablett left Chappy was more prepared to play that role.

well that's one perspective

at the end of the day Liam Pickering is a tool. Maybe he cost Ablett the Brownlow because if Ablett wasn't busted meeting with GC maybe Bomba wouldn't have been convinced he was leaving.

Isn't it time people got over the Brownlow? It's irrelevant in today's footy.

Coming next week from Prickers - 'Bomber cost Ablett the 2010 B&F'
Prickers confirms that Gaz is more concerned with individual awards than team success.Now we know why he went to the GC - no worries about team success up there and who'll beat him for the B&F ? Rischitelli [?] or Swallow are the only other half decent players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The attempted assassination of Mark Thompson's reputation by media continues.

It's a shame he couldn't give two shits about Ablett these days or what some knobends on Bigfooty who haven't played or coached a game of AFL in their lives say about his character.

Geelong perhaps had become a little stale under the Thompson regime and look re-energised under Scott this year. Essendon have also benefited enormously from getting Mark back to the club. Win for both clubs. Time to move on. Liam Pickering's client in Moneybags Ablett can now look forward to a potentially winless season and not much success in the near future.

My, my the truth is finally bubbling to the surface.

Under that cheesy dull 'nice guy' persona Ablett projects, there is a full blown selfish self-centred avaricious w***er.

Who would have thunk it? :rolleyes:

It just confirms what most Geelong supporters with a modicum of common sense suspected was going on.

What with all the childish hissy fits on field, the sour expression on his face when Jimmeh won the Brownlow medal in 2007 etc, you always had a sneaking suspicion Ablett was one of those individuals motivated more by personal than team success.

Good riddance to the handball-happy stat whore. His departure has straighten our team in that our players no longer waste time looking to dish it off to him when we win possession and just pass it to the best available option instead.

The attempted assassination of Mark Thompson's reputation by media continues.

It's a shame he couldn't give two shits about Ablett these days or what some knobends on Bigfooty who haven't played or coached a game of AFL in their lives say about his character.

Geelong perhaps had become a little stale under the Thompson regime and look re-energised under Scott this year. Essendon have also benefited enormously from getting Mark back to the club. Win for both clubs. Time to move on. Liam Pickering's client in Moneybags Ablett can now look forward to a potentially winless season and not much success in the near future.

In hindsight I hAve to agree. If only Bomber had been honest....

He went forward a few times, diddums. 2011 is the first time Bartel has played ~ full time mid since he won his brownlow in 2007. You didn't hear a thing out of him, just got on with it playing the role for the best of the team.

The guy kicked 44 goals last year whilst getting 32 touches a game. He was still awesome, still an elite player on an elite team. What cost him the Brownlow was Juddy's lack of a supporting cast.

He went forward a few times, diddums. 2011 is the first time Bartel has played ~ full time mid since he won his brownlow in 2007. You didn't hear a thing out of him, just got on with it playing the role for the best of the team.

No, he was deliberately moved forward. Deliberately.

My favorite quote: "He had 37 touches when he probably could have easily got 50 touches if he hadn't been moved forward even though the game was over".

Wonder if Liam told Gaz what he was going to say before he opened his mouth. Seems a pointless comment at this time. Up to this time Gaz had come out of it looking better than Thompson.

The AFL created the situation that led Gaz to be offered an over the top contract. I wouldnt hold him at fault here. Thompson needed to act with a little more maturity last season from what we have heard. His actions since dont really cast him as a very honourable bloke

Suprised at the vitriol some of the Cats supporters have for Gaz. Dont try and rewrite history and pretend he wasnt your best and most important player. Even look at his finals performances over the years. Esp 2008 GF and 2010 PF. Your best player easily both times and the only player still going full bore when the rest had pulled up anchor in his last match for your club

He gave you plenty and you should love him for it even with the hurt of losing him

I find it amusing that formerly rather average footballers move into player management and push themselves in cushy media positions then feel some sort of entitlement to make all sorts of ridiculous claims whilst seeing their name in lights, the lights they could never achieve when they were players.

A good player manager is a player manager who isn't an attention whore and simply does his job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Thompson cost Gary Ablett Brownlow: manager Liam Pickering

Remove this Banner Ad

Back