Mark Thompson on the Footy Show last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

He's just a crazy guy, nothing to worry about

Agreed.... but he was utterly defensive last night and a little more nervous about (well) everything last night... Sucking up to everyone around him was a little over the top.

I have never seen him look that nervous.

For those that missed it, the interview's here.

I think Bomber just looks worn down. He's the interim coach of the most maligned club in the league at the moment, and he has to shepherd a group of young men, a quarter of whom were listed as drug takers by the Herald Sun, through a season of top-level football. I'd be a bit exhausted with all of that going on as well.

I stopped watching any bomber Thompson interviews years ago, he just makes me nervous. Gives the impression he's got something to hide. Must be very difficult to interview, he will pause momentarily giving the impression he's finished then he starts again. Or perhaps he caught a glimpse of kent kingsley in the crowd last night?

I agree with the O.P and Bomber looked very agitated and stressed regardless what spin others put on it like this is normal for him etc. I have seen him a heap on T.V in the last few years and to me he has never looked this uncomfortable or agitated when talking on Live T.V.

Honestly though you cannot blame him after what they have been through and he seemed to me like a person that knew the whole world was about to end regarding his footy team and club with possible Infraction notices upcoming. Throughout this whole saga the Bomber folk in the media have been rock hard and confident when talking/discussing this issue on air but last night was different and Bomber Thompson was not the same as he usually is.

His body language spoke a thousand words and was screaming stress/agitation and sorrow the whole way through.

I watch Bomber on 360 most monday nights and have never watched him and felt awkward. This Monday on 360 and last night on TFS was painful to watch. He was a twitchy fidgety mess. It didn't help that his face looked worn out.

He always looks like he's about to fall asleep. A relatively relaxing back room job at Essendon failed to fix what people thought was being driven on by the stress of coaching. Will be interesting to see how he goes this year and whether he keeps the/gets a job as senior coach.

He always looks like he's about to fall asleep. A relatively relaxing back room job at Essendon failed to fix what people thought was being driven on by the stress of coaching. Will be interesting to see how he goes this year and whether he keeps the/gets a job as senior coach.

I think when he quit at geelong he was cooked.

He was hesitant to take the essendon job - really didnt want to be there but has done it for the love of the club

Now hes under a shedload of pressure - its all going a lot more pearshaped than anyone at essendon thought - hirdy aint coming back and his name is going to be associated wiith the implosion forever - despite any lack or otherwise of culpability

Poor bastard - i woukdnt swap shoes with him for all the money in china

Not surprised. His wheels are shot. Instead of settling into middle age, and reflecting on his playing and coaching career - with the occasional part-time role to keep the old bonce limber - he's been thrust into the main role. They'll end up putting a bloke or two into an early grave they will down there, that bombers lot.

The supporters are in a heightened state of delusion with top 4 aspirations, whilst the poor bugger is falling asleep in the change room after a NAB game.

Underrated post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just thought he looked absolutely exhausted. He did say after one of the NAB games he went into the rooms and fell asleep because he was so tired. I would think it has not been easy for him

"After the game went back to the room and fell asleep"

My take on it was the hotel room considering he said it was at the Gold Coast.

Not everyone is comfortable on camera.

Being the start of the season it will take a few weeks for Coaches etc that don't like the cameras pointed at them to get use to it again.

Dimma doesn't look overly comfortable at the pressers and on camera either.

Being on camera is part of their role but is sure as hell not the most important thing they do.

For what it's worth, I think he was cooked at the Cats and was in his element in a back room role at EFC. Do you remember how worn he looked when he was at the Cats? It's obvious the bloke doesn't get much sleep when in a senior role. You can see the huge bags under his eyes coming back and he's obviously under the pump trying to put his stamp on the team. Bomber doesn't do things in half. This year this is his team.

Bomber is a good bloke and good person. Wish him all the best and hope all this shit going down at the club doesn't adversely affect him and his health.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Was like that on 360 last year.

Reckon he gets all agitated by the constant scandal questions.

At one stage he signalled to billy to wind it up.

Reckon he's more a risk of punching the living day lights out the next journo not to get the hint.

The strangest thing for me, was as a leader he was pretty open to showing his weakness and hesitation in taking on this role for a year. I can't remember specific quotes but I sat there thinking to myself "does he even really want this job ?" All he did was focus on the negative aspects of the role ( being tired, working long hours, baby-sitting hirdy's gameplan etc ) . I think that's why he came off looking so bad on the show, all he did was espouse negatives.
I'm not saying anyone should speak in cliches but If he had sat there and spoke some things he enjoyed about the role we wouldn't have this thread.
IMO , a leader of men and head coach loses a little following from the playing group when he's spouting so much negativ language - no one knows what's he's like behind closed doors though....

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Thompson on the Footy Show last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back