Maryborough Castlemaine District FL (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motlop was just average in his performance I hear... is that right?? Dunolly would be happy with that performance on the big stage. How did Field play??

Shannon had a patchy night I would say by his standards although I don't pretend to speak for him. The whole side were great at times and poor in areas.... just like a side with 10 new players in I would expect. Overall DFC were pretty raw last night but most supporters I spoke to had a pretty good feeling about what is in store for the near future from what they witnessed. Avoca deserved the win because they were more consistently intense at the ball over a longer period IMO. DFC reserves won by 28pts which was pleasing for the club. It was a top night at Princes Park. A finals size crowd was there and the weather didn't let us down. Not a breath of wind and a mild night.

Motlop was just average in his performance I hear... is that right?? Dunolly would be happy with that performance on the big stage. How did Field play??

Julian was one of Avoca's best with over 30 possessions, friday nights game imo was a very entertaining contest, with both teams extremely hard at the footy and showing some very good skills for the first game of the season. The first quarter pace was red hot, i would have thought no one watching would have went away dissapointed with the quality of the footy on show. And the best thing for both clubs is they will only improve. I would have thought next weeks game for Dunolly against Carrisbrook will be a must win, should make for a great game.

1. Avoca
2.Carisbrook
3.Talbot
4.Dunolly
5.Newstead
6.Harcourt
7.Rovers
8.Maldon
9.Bushy
10.Creek
11.Trentham

Avoca by 13 points over dunolly
avoca just had to much of ball throughout the whole ground and moved it well with little turnovers
Maldon by 58 over creek
creek just aint up to the stanard of footy maldon played
Harcourt by 61 over bushy
bushy didnt stand a chance, harcourt were just too good
talbot by 5 over newstead
great game, could have went either way, but to talbots credit the manage to hold the steaders off

wat are your view for the ladder this year?

cheers

Very tough to do a ladder so early in the year, with teams still finding there feet. The weekends results were interesting but most of them to be expected i felt.

I predicted Avoca to win by more as they have a greater depth of players, are Dunolly the real deal of were Avoca flat? As i was not there i am unsure.

Maldon winning by 58 over creek is not overly flattering but Creek may have improved and we are aware that Maldon have dropped off. Harcourt did what most expected and got up by a tick over 10 goals...i would be interested to see how uncle johnny saw Harcourt and Bushy's performance.

In relation to our game , we were happy to get the win, it wasnt pretty but it was a win. Newstead have definately improved and are always tough to beat at home, Oxley is an absolute unit who raises Newstead to a new level, and Ramsay well he is a freak , i reckon he stood on 4 blokes heads on the weekend and dropped mark of the year.

Instead of doing a ladder ill group the teams as to how i see them and who will be fighting out for these spots. The teams are not in any particular order within there groups.

TOP 3 : Carisbrook , Avoca & Talbot. . I feel these 3 teams will be tough to beat this year and will fight it out with each other for a top 3 finish. Carisbrook have lost a couple and losing chipper harris is a big blow but they have recuited a few that should see them stay at the top of the class. Avoca are always tough to beat and have been in top 3 contention for the last few season's, they will be hoping that this will be there break out year one would imagine. As for Talbot , have barely lost anyone and recruited well so should be in for a good year.

4th - 6th: Harcourt , Newstead & Dunolly ...Harcourt have been very good for a while now but they might have just slipped back to the pack this season, very tough to tell with them however as they always seem to come good at the right time of the year.

Newstead have some good kids and experience back at the club, and well we have all heard how Dunolly have recuited and the promise they showed on Friday night.

7th and 8th : Maldon & Rovers : After a very impressive year last year it appears Maldon will be back in the pack fighting with numerous teams for 5th position, too many quality departures and havent heard alot about the blokes they have picked up. Rovers find themselves in the same boat , will battle all year to stay in touch and may just find themselves a couple of games out of the 5.

The rest : Bushy , Creek & Trentham : Bushy are developing from all reports but it will still be a few years of hard work one feels before they enter the top 5 , creek and trentham will experience
another long season one feels.

There are alot of good teams this year that will be up and against it come the end of the season if they dont perform, in all honesty i feel that 4-8th could go any way.

Very tough to do a ladder so early in the year, with teams still finding there feet. The weekends results were interesting but most of them to be expected i felt.

I predicted Avoca to win by more as they have a greater depth of players, are Dunolly the real deal of were Avoca flat? As i was not there i am unsure.

Maldon winning by 58 over creek is not overly flattering but Creek may have improved and we are aware that Maldon have dropped off. Harcourt did what most expected and got up by a tick over 10 goals...i would be interested to see how uncle johnny saw Harcourt and Bushy's performance.

In relation to our game , we were happy to get the win, it wasnt pretty but it was a win. Newstead have definately improved and are always tough to beat at home, Oxley is an absolute unit who raises Newstead to a new level, and Ramsay well he is a freak , i reckon he stood on 4 blokes heads on the weekend and dropped mark of the year.

Instead of doing a ladder ill group the teams as to how i see them and who will be fighting out for these spots. The teams are not in any particular order within there groups.

TOP 3 : Carisbrook , Avoca & Talbot. . I feel these 3 teams will be tough to beat this year and will fight it out with each other for a top 3 finish. Carisbrook have lost a couple and losing chipper harris is a big blow but they have recuited a few that should see them stay at the top of the class. Avoca are always tough to beat and have been in top 3 contention for the last few season's, they will be hoping that this will be there break out year one would imagine. As for Talbot , have barely lost anyone and recruited well so should be in for a good year.

4th - 6th: Harcourt , Newstead & Dunolly ...Harcourt have been very good for a while now but they might have just slipped back to the pack this season, very tough to tell with them however as they always seem to come good at the right time of the year.

Newstead have some good kids and experience back at the club, and well we have all heard how Dunolly have recuited and the promise they showed on Friday night.

7th and 8th : Maldon & Rovers : After a very impressive year last year it appears Maldon will be back in the pack fighting with numerous teams for 5th position, too many quality departures and havent heard alot about the blokes they have picked up. Rovers find themselves in the same boat , will battle all year to stay in touch and may just find themselves a couple of games out of the 5.

The rest : Bushy , Creek & Trentham : Bushy are developing from all reports but it will still be a few years of hard work one feels before they enter the top 5 , creek and trentham will experience
another long season one feels.

There are alot of good teams this year that will be up and against it come the end of the season if they dont perform, in all honesty i feel that 4-8th could go any way.

Nice post Sherm, insightful as usual.

How was your own performance on weekend?

Nice post Sherm, insightful as usual.

How was your own performance on weekend?

Haha not sure about insightful just filling in some down time at work..lol..anyone is more than welcome to comment on it and disagree though.

Um could have been better, started slow but got more of it as day went on...like a lot of blokes i would assume will be better for the run and finding some touch on the footy. ...

Haha not sure about insightful just filling in some down time at work..lol..anyone is more than welcome to comment on it and disagree though.

Um could have been better, started slow but got more of it as day went on...like a lot of blokes i would assume will be better for the run and finding some touch on the footy. ...

Hey sherman, we were pretty disappointed from the weekends loss but still took some positives out of it. We had 3 or 4 blokes miss out on a ressies game which hasn't happened in quite a long time, so the numbers are there. Yeh the 2s got done by 14 goals, but its a 20 goal turnaround from last year. As for the 1s, well they were just too disciplined over the park. They blew us out in the 1st and 3rd quarters and we matched them and probably beat them in the 2nd and 4th, but as the saying goes, you have to play 4 quarters of footy to win. We've got a bloke who's 6'4 at full forward and we didnt kick it to him and thats just stupid. Positives were the Justin Perry won nearly every hit out and filled the hole well, but we weren't reading his taps and we fell away at half forward. The coach is back this week after being suspended in the finals last year and also have the services of the 3 Bendigo Bombers players this week in Ky Miller, Chris Thompson and Sam Miller, so hopefully, we can push Maldon on Saturday

Just wondering if there is any thruth to the rumour that a young bloke in the Brad Johnson mould - Sam Dalton - will be prowling the forwardline for the creekers. Seen him play before, he is a powerful and exciting player. Will turn heads.
the stevie johnson of campbells creek, with his brother putting pen to paper with creeks expect them to be the white krakour brothers of the league WILL TURN HEADS

the stevie johnson of campbells creek, with his brother putting pen to paper with creeks expect them to be the white krakour brothers of the league WILL TURN HEADS

Ha, feel sorry for any bloke who's girlfriend plays for the Creekers as Dug will spill his beer all over them and Sam will try to lick them and/or try to lick their best friend. WIll TURN HEADS (at club functions).

1. Avoca
2.Carisbrook
3.Talbot
4.Dunolly
5.Newstead
6.Harcourt
7.Rovers
8.Maldon
9.Bushy
10.Creek
11.Trentham

Avoca by 13 points over dunolly
avoca just had to much of ball throughout the whole ground and moved it well with little turnovers
Maldon by 58 over creek

creek just aint up to the stanard of footy maldon played
Harcourt by 61 over bushy
bushy didnt stand a chance, harcourt were just too good
talbot by 5 over newstead
great game, could have went either way, but to talbots credit the manage to hold the steaders off

wat are your view for the ladder this year?

cheers

Dunolly will finish top 2!

Dunolly will finish top 2!

Not too sure about that... didn't they loose on the weekend?? I think everyone is forgetting about one team amongst all of the hype of the other sides, CARISBROOK!!! They have been a good side and were miles ahead last season, so without loosing too many am not sure they will drop out of the top couple - Avoca will be thereabouts (having beaten Dunolly already), Talbot have picked up well and were very good on the weekend, and Newstead matched them for the whole game with a few senior players yet to return... They may make finals, but top 2 may be a bit ambitious.

My 5.
Carisbrook
Avoca
Talbot
Newstead
Dunolly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too sure about that... didn't they loose on the weekend?? I think everyone is forgetting about one team amongst all of the hype of the other sides, CARISBROOK!!! They have been a good side and were miles ahead last season, so without loosing too many am not sure they will drop out of the top couple - Avoca will be thereabouts (having beaten Dunolly already), Talbot have picked up well and were very good on the weekend, and Newstead matched them for the whole game with a few senior players yet to return... They may make finals, but top 2 may be a bit ambitious.

My 5.
Carisbrook
Avoca
Talbot
Newstead
Dunolly

Agree...I dont believe Dunolly will finish top 2 and they would not expect too IMO. As for Carisbrook im with you, they will be up the top for sure and that is why i had them in my top 3 teams.

Where you at the Talbot v Newstead game on weekend thermometer???..In all honestly i dont believe we played that great, i would expect us to improve on that performance and be better for the run , was a very solid first up hit out...Newstead will be competitive thats for sure as long as the big OX and Rambo stay fit. We also have a couple of blokes to come into that side.

As for this weekend's game there will be a couple or rippers on show.

Avoca v Harcourt..I expect Avoca to get up at home and be too strong for the apple eaters. Avoca with a solid game under there belt last week should be ready to go for this one and be a slicker outfit.
Avoca by 4 + goals.

Carisbrook v Dunolly...Carisbrook should win this by 6 goals IMO but being there first real hit out it might take them a half to kick out the rust.Dont be surprised if Dunolly are right with them at half time, possibly in front. Tough start for Dunolly getting two top teams first up and will most likely find themselves 0-2.

Are Maldon as bad as everyone is predicting?? I looked through their team list from last week and they still have plenty of good players and dont look to have lost as many as first predicted. The 10 goal win over Creek doesn't look that flattering but Creek have been very active recruiters and should have improved. I dont think Maldon will be too far away from the top 5 and will surprise a few.

My tips for this week:

Creek v Talbot: Hopefully Talbot come to play and dont take Creek too lightly. With 10 new senior players in last week so were always going to take a little time to gel. Hopefully they can have a good win and build confidence for the big clash against Brook the following week. Talbot by 80 points.

Maldon v Royal Park - Park are strengthened by a number of inclusions this week including the coach so should be expecting a good showing. Maldon are extremely tough to beat at home and should be able to take the points. Maldon by 24 points.

Avoca v Harcourt - Always a good contest, and there has been a fair bit of spite in recent years. Avoca have maintained their list from last year and added the class of Julian Field. Harcourt have lost a couple of key players and looking through their team list from last week they have plenty of new faces. Avoca at home by 36 points.

Carisbrook v Dunolly - Danger game for Brook in their first hitout. Dunolly will be much better for the run last week and if they have all their personnel available will be a tough proposition for Brook. Brook have also maintained their list, minus a couple of stars including Harris, and have added a number of handy district league players, including Perry, to their list. Brook you would think too good. Brook by 24 points.

Rovers v Trentham - Two sides that are very much an unknown. Rovers have lost some players and have not appeared to have picked up too much. Are always a fit and well-drilled side and play well at Jubilee. Trentham could be anything. Lost Kallen Young who was easily their best player but have recruited a number of new players. Rovers by 24 points but wouldn't surprise if Trentham got up.

Agree...I dont believe Dunolly will finish top 2 and they would not expect too IMO. As for Carisbrook im with you, they will be up the top for sure and that is why i had them in my top 3 teams.

Where you at the Talbot v Newstead game on weekend thermometer???..In all honestly i dont believe we played that great, i would expect us to improve on that performance and be better for the run , was a very solid first up hit out...Newstead will be competitive thats for sure as long as the big OX and Rambo stay fit. We also have a couple of blokes to come into that side..

I was at the game Sherman... thought it was played at a pretty hectic pace for the majority of the match, there were some good pieces of play but you could tell that both sides had a lot of new players that all need to get used to each others styles!! Noticed Martin was out for Talbot along with Timmins and Danny Barker for Newstead, so both teams will get better... Newstead too have a tough start to the season with Avoca to follow Talbot after the Anzac weekend!!

Was good to see the season openner lived up to the hype around it. Big crowd, pretty good footy and a close game which was great to see. Considering Dunolly had a lot of new players i think they would still have been happy with the result. Time will tell but i expect them to knock some good sides off this year. One thing i was surprised with is that Dunolly's two's rolled Avoca comfortably. Maybe the eagles have more depth then we all thought.

On the other side of the coin i think Avoca are looking like they will be very strong. Field in the middle seems to have given them a lot more structure and skill in there IMO. If Pilgrim and Lakey can have good years in front of the big sticks i think they will be hard to beat all year.

Newstead V Talbot was a hard hitting encounter. The game was by no means pretty but it was well fought out by both sides and could have easily gone either way. I think both sides will definitely play finals but how high they will finish who knows?

The other games went as expected. Thought Royal Park would have got closer then they did. They would be disappointed i would have thought with that effort.

As for this week:

Who would have thought that Dunolly would have been involved in two matches of the rounds in the first two weeks.

Carisbrook v Dunolly - I'm expecting a very close contest. I think the brooks experiance may get them over the line but wouldn't be surprised to see an upset. Heard Motlop won't be playing this week as he will only be playing home games which won't help the eagles cause. 2 points

Creek v Talbot: Will win easily. 10 goals

Maldon v Royal Park - If ever there is a time Royal Park is going to pull one out of the hat it should be this weekend. Great inclusions from the bombers should get them over the line. 5 points

Avoca v Harcourt - Coming off an extra days break helps early in the year. I think they blew the cob webs out last week and will have an easy win. 8 goals

Rovers v Trentham - Rovers will want to win this one badly. I hope they get up in a spirited performance by the magpies.

Looking forward to a good weekend of footy. Good luck all

I was at the game Sherman... thought it was played at a pretty hectic pace for the majority of the match, there were some good pieces of play but you could tell that both sides had a lot of new players that all need to get used to each others styles!! Noticed Martin was out for Talbot along with Timmins and Danny Barker for Newstead, so both teams will get better... Newstead too have a tough start to the season with Avoca to follow Talbot after the Anzac weekend!!

Did I hear right that Danny Barker has a serious injury that may prevent him from playing this season??

Did I hear right that Danny Barker has a serious injury that may prevent him from playing this season??

No Rich, he chipped a bone in his foot in the first praccy match about 4 weeks ago and should only miss (with Newstead having the bye in round 2) maybe 4 regular season games all up... Will be a welcome inclusion when he is ready!!

Stick to the underage threads young fella and dont fill this thread up with crap please.

Danny Barker is a harness driver!
i know him and he really did come off a horse, he was training a young 2yo colt and it reared up and fliped the cart!
just one of those things that happen in the sport!

Talbot 14.17.101 to Creek 4.4.28

IMO - Sherman -BOG Had it on a string.

Ressies won by 32 goals.

Thanks Bucko.... I think our ressies will just about go through undefeated.... they have a very good side! Creek seniors improved or were Talbot no good??? Wasteful in front of goals by the looks.

Quick Tip though.... never admit publicly that Sherman went well as we will never hear the end of it! Glad to hear the little Ranga got a kick but!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad