Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha!
I don't think I am.
You need to live through the highs, and the many many lows, to make that call.
I'm guessing your a johnny come lately.
I think we are on a par, I was born the week we won the flag in 1958. I've seen us lose 11 grand finals and win two. The big difference is I make informed, intelligent observations about our team.;)

Today his role was to take heat off Cloke. Yet Cloke still had 2/3 players on him. That is the respect the opposition put on Cox and Cloke respectively.
Was at the game today, and would swear you had the names around the wrong way in that passage. Cox was frequently going up against 3 opponents.

I think we are on a par, I was born the week we won the flag in 1958. I've seen us lose 11 grand finals and win two. The big difference is I make informed, intelligent observations about our team.;)
heck.
Your older than me!
I'm shocked that your sucked in by the media hype.
Would expect much better from an old fart like you.

I'm sorry if I'm not into the media hype.
Cox has done nothing yet that any 7 foot player couldn't do.
I know I'll cop some shit for that view, but for now he does not impact contests that a person his size should.
For every clunk he does take, he drops three he should take.
He has awareness and agility, but his decisions sometimes are completely wrong. Not that he is alone in those aspects.
Today his role was to take heat off Cloke. Yet Cloke still had 2/3 players on him. That is the respect the opposition put on Cox and Cloke respectively.
And that's why Cox got the cheapies and Cloke got mauled.
Watch the replay. Tell me I'm wrong when you look at it from that perspective.

I can't believe that you think any man of Cox's height could do what Cox has done. If this was true then the AFL would be bursting at the seams with ex basketballers and NFL players. The vast majority who get through the testing will flounder in the VFL for a season or two and then disappear. Please give some credit where it is due. Cox has an amazing feel for the game and his one percenters have been the most impressive aspect of his game to date. He is still learning the game, yet he has hit the scoreboard every week and had a hand in other goals. Even today, he took a strong grab, wheeled and kicked a well weighted pill to Grundy. This is something most of his teammates failed to do all day. If you can't see what a gem we have, that says more about your judgement than it does about Cox's potential.

Was at the game today, and would swear you had the names around the wrong way in that passage. Cox was frequently going up against 3 opponents.
I think Black and White has an ex American girlfriend who took him to the cleaners or just a problem with Yanks. Nothing else can account for his bitterness about one of the few shining lights of our season.

Sorry, mar
I think Black and White has an ex American girlfriend who took him to the cleaners or just a problem with Yanks. Nothing else can account for his bitterness about one of the few shining lights of our season.
Sorry, married a French girl.
Have no desire for anything American, let alone their fat bottomed girls.

I think you're alone on this one Black_White. Happy to respect your opinion, we all see the game in a different light, but I must admit I'm surprised you don't see any upside with the big American. I thought his two goals against Geelong were just about the highlight of our year!

I'm genuinely curious - who do you think was the last key forward for us who had a better first seven games than Mason?

I think you're alone on this one Black_White. Happy to respect your opinion, we all see the game in a different light, but I must admit I'm surprised you don't see any upside with the big American. I thought his two goals against Geelong were just about the highlight of our year!

I'm genuinely curious - who do you think was the last key forward for us who had a better first seven games than Mason?

Probably Brian Taylor in 1985. But he'd already had 5 seasons at Richmond.

The man for this job is 35Daicos

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably Brian Taylor in 1985. But he'd already had 5 seasons at Richmond.

The man for this job is 35Daicos
Brian Taylor kicked 33 for Collingwood in his first 7 games in 1985 (7,7,7,1,5,4,2). Though as mentioned, he wasn't a league debutant* that year.
John Anthony managed 15 in 2008 (2,1,2,4,2,1,3), and appears to be the best of our debutants from recent years.

13 for Peter McKenna in his first 7 games in 1965, 16 for Phil Carman in 1975, Craig Davis 24 in 1979*, Dale Woodhall 19 in 1984, Craig Starcevich 15 in 1987, Mark Richardson 23 in 1991, Saverio Rocca 24 in 1992, Anthony Rocca 13 in 1997* are others of note.

Cox has 11 in his first 7 games, of course. Travis Cloke managed 8 in 2005, Jesse White 9 in 2014*, Darcy Moore 6 in 2015.

Last edited:
Brian Taylor kicked 33 for Collingwood in his first 7 games in 1985 (7,7,7,1,5,4,2). Though as mentioned, he wasn't a league debutant* that year... Cox has 11 in his first 7 games, of course. Travis Cloke managed 8 in 2005, Jesse White 9 in 2014*, Darcy Moore 6 in 2015.

Comrades, 35Daicos deserves the Star of Lenin for his services to this board. Where there is gloaming, he brings the brilliant sunlight of evidence. Let us not be swine in the presence of these pearls. Vicky Park , suitable e-commemoration under 35Daicos' avatar?

I'm sorry if I'm not into the media hype.
Cox has done nothing yet that any 7 foot player couldn't do.
I know I'll cop some shit for that view, but for now he does not impact contests that a person his size should.
For every clunk he does take, he drops three he should take.
He has awareness and agility, but his decisions sometimes are completely wrong. Not that he is alone in those aspects.
And that's why Cox got the cheapies and Cloke got mauled.
Watch the replay. Tell me I'm wrong when you look at it from that perspective.
or perhaps Cloke was the decoy dragging players with him and the mids should have opened their vision and looked for the free man in Cox.

Guy is 7ft tall playing wet weather football. He kicks a couple of goals and breaks even in just about every marking contest whilst being triple teamed and that's not good enough for you? It's not his fault duds like the 5ft tall Blair can't crumb to save themselves. That's not to mention he's still learning the game himself. Even when he doesn't do much in terms of scoring he still shows glimpses of genius on the field, much the same as Moore before he got injured.

And the fact that he was able to go back and nail those "cheapies" while everyone else was missing is enough to say that he can handle pressure.
and even the missed banana was a beautiful kick

Scuse the intrusion but from what i saw on the weekend Cox was getting scragged illegally in just about every contest by two or three Port players. I couldnt believe he wasnt given more frees by the umps.
I think that it's a known umpire rule. the bigger the player the more they can handle getting scragged. Cloke cops it also. I'm sure kennedy does.

I think that it's a known umpire rule. the bigger the player the more they can handle getting scragged. Cloke cops it also. I'm sure kennedy does.

Yeah Kennedy does heaps, but i thought what they were doing to Cox on the weekend was way too blatant not to call. I was surprised. Seems everyone likes to lay their hands on big Cox..

Scuse the intrusion but from what i saw on the weekend Cox was getting scragged illegally in just about every contest by two or three Port players. I couldnt believe he wasnt given more frees by the umps.
Interesting take; some on here would have you believe Cox was given no defensive attention while Cloke had three opponents.

The reality is that both players when deep had 2-3 players on them, Cloke and Cox.

I think the issue is that both probably weren't deep in the forwardline together enough where the extra(s) need to make the decision about which player to double team.

No doubt Big Mason has done so well for someone who wasn't brought up with AFL for starters& also how he moves for someone so big very impressing I must say:thumbsu:;).

It definitely wont be the last time either, but it will work to our advantage though when Moore grows into a better player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Back