Multiplat Mass Effect 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Mass Effect 2 lands on PS3 Jan. 18 in US, Jan. 21 in Europe
Speaking exclusively to IGN, Electronic Arts has given Mass Effect 2 on PlayStation 3 a solid release date of January 18 in North America and January 21 in Europe (that's in twenty eleven, folks). As previously revealed, BioWare is including a gaggle of bonus content with the Blu-ray version, not to mention a brand new "interactive comic" that fills players in on the story of Mass Effect 1. Given what we heard today about Mass Effect 3, we're just hoping everyone has enough time to catch up before a whole new outerspace epic arrives.

EB Games says January 20 on their website so we get it a couple of days after the US.

We'll be getting a potential look at how good Mass Effect 3 will look with the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2. ME2 on PS3 will be using ME3's updated engine.

Source: http://www.examiner.com/video-game-...ne-for-playstation-3-version-of-mass-effect-2
Jesse Houston, producer of the Playstation 3 version of Mass Effect 2, revealed on a recent Bioware podcast that the upcoming port uses the Mass Effect 3 engine. You can view his statement below:
We’ve actually created the engine for Mass Effect 3 and use that to make Mass Effect 2 PS3. So we took the content and the story and all the other assets that made up Mass Effect 2 and we put them in the Mass Effect 3 engine. And that‘s what we are actually delivering.​

Along the same lines as what HBK posted....

The engine has been reworked to utilize the PlayStation 3's technology, so if you look closely you might notice the blacker blacks and crisper textures, but you'll probably just think it looks sharp and bright. Placing both versions side by side shows off how much better the PS3 version looks during cutscenes, but during normal gameplay it isn't leaps and bounds better than the Xbox 360.
http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1140265p1.html

I'm surprised how much they've seemingly re-worked the game. Looks like they've put a ton of work into it, not only have they applied the new engine to the game but they've streamlined areas of complaint from ME2.
There are also a few disparities that most people won't notice; one is that hacking mini-games have been streamlined. During main quests with a sense of urgency like the introductory tutorial, the mini-games to crack safes or terminals have been removed, but are still intact in more leisurely areas. I didn't get a chance to test it out, but I was also told that the planet scanning mini-game moves a little faster now, which is a very welcome change.
15 minute comic is a bit worrying though, although I think a lot would rather just get into ME2 and not have to worry a huge amount about watching every second of the ME1 comic. But Bioware clearly feel that these are the moments that will really matter come ME3 and really make the bigger outcomes through ME2, I would expect anyway.

Speaking as someone who recently spent 25+ hours re-playing ME1 for the express purpose of having a goody-twoshoes save to carry over into ME2, i reckon that 15 minute comic sounds pretty damn awesome ;)

(on the topic of porting a story-intensive sequel onto a new format, i recently found a cheap copy of Shenmue 2 for Xbox. it comes with a 90 minute film version of the original game, presumably pasted together from itscutscenes. haven't mustered the courage to watch it. probably never will)

ME2 Sounds like a rad conversion. I love Bioware! Hopefully they will make hair not look shit with the improved ME3 engine, probably the only thing that doesn't look very crash hot in ME2 IMO.

PS I just deleted a large paragraph tangent about breast physics

Mass Effect 2 - IGN PS3 Preview
[YOUTUBE]1g9F0rgVzuw[/YOUTUBE]

IGN gives a video preview on how Mass Effect 2 on PS3 is different, how the backstory comic works and comparison footage between the consoles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mass Effect 2 Demo is available in the North American PSN Store so it's worth a look in the Australian one.
Won't be here until Thursday/Friday as that's when the PS Store updates.

Anyone desperate enough can just make a US PSN though and jump on the store to download it.

Interesting demo. Not quite what I expected, but it was enjoyable enough to warrant a purchase.

I only played out the first section as I know I'm going to buy the game and going into the 2nd section of the demo would just cause spoilers (as it says so in the demo that it's much further into the game than the first section of the demo which is just the start of ME2).

I love the dialogue system, really easy to work through and it's good exploring each and every option.

The cover mechanic is a bit annoying, it's really hard to come from a game like Uncharted which has a slide to cover type of mechanic and is so smooth and go to this one that seems to be a bit more static.

just purchased Kasumi, Lair of the Shadow Broker and Overlord for a total of 800 MSP. Sale is today only

Edit: it's actually a total of 600 MSP, so yeah, even better.

just purchased Kasumi, Lair of the Shadow Broker and Overlord for a total of 800 MSP. Sale is today only

Edit: it's actually a total of 600 MSP, so yeah, even better.

Cheers for the heads up....Downloading all 3 now.:thumbsu:

Question, I never completed Mass Effect 1 but I have recently completed ME2....Should I complete 1 and 2 before 3 comes out or will just finishing 2 suffice?

I know the decisions we made in ME2 will affect ME3 if we bring our character over, but was this the same for ME1 to ME2, and will ME1 have any bearing on ME3?

Confusing, I know, but any help would be appreciated

Cheers for the heads up....Downloading all 3 now.:thumbsu:

Question, I never completed Mass Effect 1 but I have recently completed ME2....Should I complete 1 and 2 before 3 comes out or will just finishing 2 suffice?

I know the decisions we made in ME2 will affect ME3 if we bring our character over, but was this the same for ME1 to ME2, and will ME1 have any bearing on ME3?

Confusing, I know, but any help would be appreciated

I'm in a similar situation. I finished Mass Effect 1 back in the day but I lost all my saves before playing ME2 so none of my decisions etc carried over which sucked. I was going to replay it but I recently found out that the interactive comic book that the PS3 guys are getting will also be coming to 360 so now I'm just going to wait for that. It should arrive next month

Of course, if you really like the Mass Effect world and want to get the full experience then go for it.

Your decisions in ME1 absolutely affected ME2. Many things were dependent on who died, who lived, who you sided with, who you betrayed etc etc.

As they had an effect on ME2, those decisions no doubt carry over to ME3.

ME2 was a far more polished game than the original, but the original arguably had a superior story. It's cheap as chips second hand, and if you enjoy ME2 you'll like ME too. I'd buy it.

Unfortunately you'll need to start new characters in ME, then carry them over to ME2 to utilise them in ME3

Your decisions in ME1 absolutely affected ME2. Many things were dependent on who died, who lived, who you sided with, who you betrayed etc etc.

As they had an effect on ME2, those decisions no doubt carry over to ME3.

ME2 was a far more polished game than the original, but the original arguably had a superior story. It's cheap as chips second hand, and if you enjoy ME2 you'll like ME too. I'd buy it.

Unfortunately you'll need to start new characters in ME, then carry them over to ME2 to utilise them in ME3

Yep this, story of ME1 is better the ending of ME1 is awesome especially if you do the hero route.
Sending the human fleet in to save the day
I'm interested to see if the comic can pull it off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat Mass Effect 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back