Masten Criticism

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't wait for Masten to bulk up. Ever since I (rightly imo) criticized him earlier this year he has risen to the level and even above it that he should be achieving imo. The game against Port typified that and his extraction qualities were on full display. When hes bigger and more confident I have no doubt he'll be a real force to be reckoned with.

Can't wait for Masten to bulk up. Ever since I (rightly imo) criticized him earlier this year he has risen to the level and even above it that he should be achieving imo.

I'd be interested to hear what you were saying about him.

I for one never criticized him once. The amount of anti-Masten threads going around was unbelievable. He didn't have a pre-season and was being playing in positions not natural to him, still on the road to recovery from OP, still far from being of standard AFL-strength, and still collecting 17-22 touches a game.

I didn't even click on the threads because it would just frustrate the **** out of me (a bit like that Mackenzie thread now). Now I'd bet a lot of those Masto-bashers have jumped the bandwagon and are praising him.

I for one never criticized him once. The amount of anti-Masten threads going around was unbelievable. He didn't have a pre-season and was being playing in positions not natural to him, still on the road to recovery from OP, still far from being of standard AFL-strength, and still collecting 17-22 touches a game.

I didn't even click on the threads because it would just frustrate the **** out of me (a bit like that Mackenzie thread now). Now I'd bet a lot of those Masto-bashers have jumped the bandwagon and are praising him.

Likewise, I never knocked Masten. IMO as I've already stated before, it was only a matter of time before he came good, very good.
He has too much talent to turn out a flop and I had every confidence that he was going to be a gun.

This board is far too assuming when it comes to our new players. I suggest that we all bite our tongues before slagging off one of our own in future. We don't need to give our evil purple neighbors anymore ammunition to use against our lads.

I remember last year watching the lead-in to a Melbourne game (probably the one we played against them) and they were going on about how wonderful Cale Morton had been and one of the commentators (I think it was Shaw but can't be well, sure) said of him "he was drafted with the 4th pick overall last year behind Kruezer, Cotchin and... others".

Stick it up them Masten, a well-deserved nomination.

Granted, most of those would have been little handballs to players in close proximity, but no arguments from me.

It's refreshing to see a lot of pro-Masten comments finally. I wonder how many have changed their views because I was struggling to find many 2 months ago..

Anyway, great signs all things considered. Can't wait til this kid gets a couple of preseasons into him and develops his strength.

There have been plenty of positive comments on Masten all year, it is just the idiots have been louder and wouldn't listen to the calls that he was still recovering from OP.

Likewise, I never knocked Masten. IMO as I've already stated before, it was only a matter of time before he came good, very good.
He has too much talent to turn out a flop and I had every confidence that he was going to be a gun.

This board is far too assuming when it comes to our new players. I suggest that we all bite our tongues before slagging off one of our own in future. We don't need to give our evil purple neighbors anymore ammunition to use against our lads.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=588898

This was the thread I created about my thoughts on him just before this awesome run of form he is now having. Simply put, I suggested that for a midfielder taken at Pick 3 in the draft, in his second year and in relation to others taken in that draft after him I expected more than what he was giving. I also suggested the OP excuse could only last so long and if he didn't show some improvement soon then he would become a real worry. Since then its like someones put magnets in the balls used at West Coast games and his hands are made of metal because hes had leather poisoning. That said his defensive work has still be near on terrible and his marking up in particular in the game against Melbourne was absolutely deplorable. However like I said in that thread all I wanted to see from him was a general rate of improvement and hes no doubt delivering that now. Funnily enough the last time I criticized a player for not living up to the ability they no doubt had was Shannon Hurn earlier this season and now I seriously rate him as our BnF so far this season. Maybe I should create more of these threads because both these guys have been outstanding since then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=588898

This was the thread I created about my thoughts on him just before this awesome run of form he is now having. Simply put, I suggested that for a midfielder taken at Pick 3 in the draft, in his second year and in relation to others taken in that draft after him I expected more than what he was giving. I also suggested the OP excuse could only last so long and if he didn't show some improvement soon then he would become a real worry. Since then its like someones put magnets in the balls used at West Coast games and his hands are made of metal because hes had leather poisoning. That said his defensive work has still be near on terrible and his marking up in particular in the game against Melbourne was absolutely deplorable. However like I said in that thread all I wanted to see from him was a general rate of improvement and hes no doubt delivering that now. Funnily enough the last time I criticized a player for not living up to the ability they no doubt had was Shannon Hurn earlier this season and now I seriously rate him as our BnF so far this season. Maybe I should create more of these threads because both these guys have been outstanding since then.

Better start a Naita-bashing thread then to fast-track his development ;)

While you were probably on the lower end of the scale in terms of criticizing Masten BB, I still would have begged to differ. Players develop at different rates and I had a lot of time for him - his form over the last month shows just how good he is and is going to be.

i think some people dont really understand just how debilitating OP really is, ive never had it but am pretty up to date wiht the effects as a few of my mates have had, it can be a struggle to walk sometimes let alone run and kick. anyone would shank a few kicks or not be able to run to space if they had it.
palmers a good mate of mine and has reassured me that we made a good decision, next year with another year in the gym and a full pre-season i reckon we'll see him take the next step.

Watch Footy Classified guys. No one on there had any clue as to when he was drafted!!!!

You're kidding! Thats a joke.

Ahh well, Melbourne centric footy magazine shows that pretend to be about the AFL can only be taken so seriously I guess. Every time I watch that show I'm disappointed just that little bit more and my respect for Gary Lyon falls a notch further. Bit like The Footy Show became four or five years ago. Shite!

Can't wait for Masten to bulk up. Ever since I (rightly imo) criticized him earlier this year he has risen to the level and even above it that he should be achieving imo. The game against Port typified that and his extraction qualities were on full display. When hes bigger and more confident I have no doubt he'll be a real force to be reckoned with.

Nah your criticism (and everyone elses) was ridiculous back then and its just as stupid looking back on it now.

i was DEFINITELY one to rip the shit out of him, purely for his attitude off the field.

last year, a couple of games into the season, i met a pretty maggot version of him and a mate in the city. i just thought he should pull his socks up and start concentrating on footy, seeing as he's being paid to be an elite athelete

seems like he's well on the way, and i'm extremely happy for him. well done chris!

i was DEFINITELY one to rip the shit out of him, purely for his attitude off the field.

last year, a couple of games into the season, i met a pretty maggot version of him and a mate in the city. i just thought he should pull his socks up and start concentrating on footy, seeing as he's being paid to be an elite athelete

seems like he's well on the way, and i'm extremely happy for him. well done chris!

So... the higher the paycheck, the less of a life the kid's supposed to have?

If so, Jack Nicholson makes $20 million per movie, what the hell's he doing enjoying himself at a Lakers game? Doesn't he know he can get germs from the public?!? He's 70+ now, you think he would've learned by now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Masten Criticism

Remove this Banner Ad

Back