Women's Footy Match day thread Essendon Versus Fremantle - Sat 31st August

Remove this Banner Ad

So hard to keep track of the team/changes when it’s overshadowed by the AFL season. Just plain stupid the way they schedule the season.

What are the expectations for us this year? How have we looked in the practice matches?

So hard to keep track of the team/changes when it’s overshadowed by the AFL season. Just plain stupid the way they schedule the season.

What are the expectations for us this year? How have we looked in the practice matches?
Yeah, liked it having clean air.

But also had a thought that this weekend should be AFLW grand final weekend

Yeah, liked it having clean air.

But also had a thought that this weekend should be AFLW grand final weekend
Aside from playing in the summer bc I guess the heat is unreasonable (even though the break in football meant so many more people were interested), the best thing for the game would be playing it during the season and linking it up with the Men’s schedules and playing them as curtain raisers or something similar, but the AFL is too arrogant for that.

Means the girls would be playing in front of at least 5000 every game rather than 500, with the potential for much bigger crowds. Surely would be easier in terms of travel logistics too.

Starting it during finals when more people are focused on the season than ever just guarantees that it gets buried.

Aside from playing in the summer bc I guess the heat is unreasonable (even though the break in football meant so many more people were interested), the best thing for the game would be playing it during the season and linking it up with the Men’s schedules and playing them as curtain raisers or something similar, but the AFL is too arrogant for that.

Means the girls would be playing in front of at least 5000 every game rather than 500, with the potential for much bigger crowds. Surely would be easier in terms of travel logistics too.

Starting it during finals when more people are focused on the season than ever just guarantees that it gets buried.
Yep.

And those who aren’t in finals are focused on trades.

This weekend would have been great to watch the women’s grand final, nice little appetiser.

I was a big debbie downer on this season but then we smacked WCE who just beat Richmond who could be a decent riser this season and we smacked the pies who took it up to Sydney (finalists LY)

We are probably mid table at best but should get min 4 wins this year

I see the thoughts with curtain raisers but the AFL is trying to bring in new eyes, they want it as standalone as possible

It cant clash with mens, needs air to breathe for now

I see the thoughts with curtain raisers but the AFL is trying to bring in new eyes, they want it as standalone as possible

It cant clash with mens, needs air to breathe for now
Yeah but it's clearly not working. They expanded way to quickly, and didn't allow the game to grow properly before ruining it. That season before they changed the starting dates to August was probably the peak of it.

They need to be realistic. They're not going to bring in new eyes. They need to work on getting current club members and supporters to actually watch the women play, and actually go to games. People will be much more likely to go a couple hours early to a curtain raiser at a proper stadium than make a separate day out of it and a shitty community oval in winter conditions.

Problem is now cricket season starts so women’s afl will never compete with that . Certainly not at present when shill Li ebele still have a long way to go

Takes time . And best way to get it front of more spectators is double headers every match

Tv rights won’t be huge until fan base grows

But time will tell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but it's clearly not working. They expanded way to quickly, and didn't allow the game to grow properly before ruining it. That season before they changed the starting dates to August was probably the peak of it.

They need to be realistic. They're not going to bring in new eyes. They need to work on getting current club members and supporters to actually watch the women play, and actually go to games. People will be much more likely to go a couple hours early to a curtain raiser at a proper stadium than make a separate day out of it and a shitty community oval in winter conditions.
That clear air in Jan/Feb were bringing in new eyes and old eyes, so its hard to compare

it definitely isn't great clashing with finals but they can't keep playing in 40 degree heat

Ticket prices for the W are very affordable, I think the AFL is happy taking a loss and trying to win over the new eyes tbh

Failing to win over new eyes. It's like they want the AFLW to be a failure.
Man. The scheduling was naff (Freo at 2pm), but those summer games were so good.

Get the family out for the day in Freo, beach, museum, lunch.

Then head to the footy. Just needed to be later in the evening

Participation is through the roof, so I don't know about "not working".

I myself would prefer it if they were given more leeway to allow the game develop uniquely, in-line with the participants and game nuances (virtually bottom-up). But HQ/Vic land can't help but fester and rigidly shape it top-down, seemingly aiming for a replica of the men's game.

I myself would prefer it if they were given more leeway to allow the game develop uniquely, in-line with the participants and game nuances (virtually bottom-up). But HQ/Vic land can't help but fester and rigidly shape it top-down, seemingly aiming for a replica of the men's game.
Not completely.

The out of bounds rule is so much better in AFLW than AFLM for example

Not completely.

The out of bounds rule is so much better in AFLW than AFLM for example
Although they got that after it being in the SANFL. It's not to my taste... too random... but can live with it.

Certainly promoting a more open, attack oriented game (think WAFL in the early '80's maybe) with an aligned set of rules would be what I would hope. You can then see what works and what doesn't.

Participation, sure, but not viewers. Attendance has gone down a lot since they moved the season dates

Participation, sure, but not viewers. Attendance has gone down a lot since they moved the season dates
Some people just like footy, and have no interest in the other summer sports.

But 2 games a weekend (3x including reserves), can get too much.

Would there be value if they wanted to align with men’s season, of alternating home and away? So there’s always your team playing a match in your state?

It started to spring back towards the end I thought...

At any rate participation is the more substantial of the growth indicators. Viewership will bend to participation.

Some people just like footy, and have no interest in the other summer sports.

But 2 games a weekend (3x including reserves), can get too much.

Would there be value if they wanted to align with men’s season, of alternating home and away? So there’s always your team playing a match in your state?
There may be some reluctance for it, but the alignment of seasons would allow for double headers, which some really enjoy. But not sure how sustainable that is.

I agree with the comments about getting the timing of the women’s’ season right. It’s a juggling act for sure.

Today’s Docker game clashes with our Peel Qualifying game in Mandurah which will have more than a few Docker
Players that I’m keen to see perform under Finals pressure. Fortunately the AFLW game is an away game so it gets recorded anyway.

I have to say that the standard of AFLW games has lifted enormously. The Sydney game last night featured some first class goal kicking and passages of play. The intensity has definitely lifted from the early days.

I’m keen to watch Emma O’Driscoll play again. She’s a character both on and off the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy Match day thread Essendon Versus Fremantle - Sat 31st August

Remove this Banner Ad

Back