Women's Footy Match day thread Essendon Versus Fremantle - Sat 31st August

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the luck but the skill of the Irish was the cream on this satisfying game. Good effort across the board and great to see the continued development of young ruck Mim Strom.

Gets more eyes in the main thread though, everyone who commented in it throughout the year gets bumped with notifications
Again . There are main threads for Ken’s football too where talk of whole season occurs . And a separate thread got each game . Each to their own . But I will treat them the same and post in match day threads , season threads , injury threads. Etc etc

Was a great game by the freo woman’s team, I can’t begin to describe how strong the wind was in Melbourne and clearly favoured one end, holding the bombers to just 8 points in the first was a very good performance. We showed how easy it was to score with the wind kicking 4 goals in the second. In the 3rd when they had the breeze again we slowed the game down with short precision passes and kept it out of their hands then applied elite pressure when they did get the ball. Was a great tactical game by our coaches, adjusting the plan for the conditions.

On the broader topic of the fixtures, I am all for the double header with AFLM, make the women’s team play 18 games (every other team once and you rival (same state team) twice. Then when the men launch into their double up games the women have their finals, with their GF this week.
Playing 11 H&A games seems like a random thing when in an 18 team competition.
Double headers with the men’s team is much easier from a logistics perspective and is cheaper for broadcasters as they already have everything in place for Men’s games.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the broader topic of the fixtures, I am all for the double header with AFLM, make the women’s team play 18 games (every other team once and you rival (same state team) twice. Then when the men launch into their double up games the women have their finals, with their GF this week.
Playing 11 H&A games seems like a random thing when in an 18 team competition.
Double headers with the men’s team is much easier from a logistics perspective and is cheaper for broadcasters as they already have everything in place for Men’s games.

Reading some of the thoughts on people close to the AFLW, being the AFLs curtain-raiser is the last thing they want.

Reading some of the thoughts on people close to the AFLW, being the AFLs curtain-raiser is the last thing they want.
I get that impression as well, although I'm not sure how universal that sentiment is.

Certainly it would detract from the carnival & community like atmosphere that often comes with AFLW grounds/games.

It would also hamper to a degree the AFLW forging its own identity.

But it is possibly the quickest way the AFLW could transition to a full winter timeframe and have a large number of club fans access the games. Not sure of where that ven diagram of AFLW & AFLM attendees overlaps though.

I get that impression as well, although I'm not sure how universal that sentiment is.

Certainly it would detract from the carnival & community like atmosphere that often comes with AFLW grounds/games.

It would also hamper to a degree the AFLW forging its own identity.

But it is possibly the quickest way the AFLW could transition to a full winter timeframe and have a large number of club fans access the games. Not sure of where that ven diagram of AFLW & AFLM attendees overlaps.

Outside of the 11am Saturday and Sunday games they would either be playing at 5pm on a Thursday/Friday or during other AFL games. Not sure how that would result in more fans watching.

Sadly, I just have too many family obligations on a weekend to block out enough time to be at two games of footy in a row. And I always try to get to the aflw games. I love the vibe at freo oval. I never grew up on wafl, so maybe it’s similar? I’ve thought about choosing a wafl team, but decided I shouldn’t invest as I just don’t have time. Maybe when the children have buggered off.

This is certainly a more balanced write up than the one in the AFL app, which basically puts down Essington losing to their two forwards getting injured.
Yeh, apparently it was a "momentum shift" when they ran into each other, not the fact they were gone when we held them to one goal kicking with a gale in the first!

Yeh, apparently it was a "momentum shift" when they ran into each other, not the fact they were gone when we held them to one goal kicking with a gale in the first!
yes the overall margin was due to more than the loss of the two ladies.

But as with the AFLM side losing two good players can change a lot of options on field and upset a whole season

This is certainly a more balanced write up than the one in the AFL app, which basically puts down Essington losing to their two forwards getting injured.
Why are we not surprised by that rationale..

Vic-centrism is clearly extended to our non Victorian female team just as it is with our men’s team.

They’re consistent if nothing else.

Outside of the 11am Saturday and Sunday games they would either be playing at 5pm on a Thursday/Friday or during other AFL games. Not sure how that would result in more fans watching.
The AFLW fixture is already ****ed with their Tuesday/Wednesday games. Already have 5pm Thursday/Friday games even without being curtain raisers.

It's pretty clear the AFLW is never going to be open to curtain raisers/double headers whatever you wanna call them, but it's just plain stubbornness and stupidity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy Match day thread Essendon Versus Fremantle - Sat 31st August

Remove this Banner Ad

Back