Women's Footy Match day thread Essendon Versus Fremantle - Sat 31st August

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFLW fixture is already ****ed with their Tuesday/Wednesday games. Already have 5pm Thursday/Friday games even without being curtain raisers.

It's pretty clear the AFLW is never going to be open to curtain raisers/double headers whatever you wanna call them, but it's just plain stubbornness and stupidity.

The 5pm games are just while the AFL is still running though, this would be for the entire AFLW season if they were to become part of the mens double header. Wouldn't call it stupidity to not want to play either before or after the mens match, having clean air is the only way I can see it growing in terms of spectators and TV audience.

The 5pm games are just while the AFL is still running though, this would be for the entire AFLW season if they were to become part of the mens double header. Wouldn't call it stupidity to not want to play either before or after the mens match, having clean air is the only way I can see it growing in terms of spectators and TV audience.
I just know if I was a player I’d much prefer playing in front of 5-10k at a proper stadium than 500-1000 at a local oval

Might be in the minority, but I'd hate for the women's games to run as curtain raisers. Spending close to 6 hours at the ground would be a real slog in ideal weather conditions, let alone when its raining and freezing.

Might be in the minority, but I'd hate for the women's games to run as curtain raisers. Spending close to 6 hours at the ground would be a real slog in ideal weather conditions, let alone when its raining and freezing.
lol..

that is how it used to be in the old days.
As a kid I remember going to the oval to watch the colts , then the reserves . and finally the league teams.

Was a great day out even if it rained.

But yes times have changed and you are right, majority of people dont want longer time at football.

So the issue is the season MUST be in winter as that is FOOTBALL season. Not in summer or any other hotter months.

TV broadcasts will clash with any ladies games during AFLM season.
I think we are in catch 22

Might be in the minority, but I'd hate for the women's games to run as curtain raisers. Spending close to 6 hours at the ground would be a real slog in ideal weather conditions, let alone when it’s raining and freezing.
They did it once for a pre season game. Had the AFLW derby followed by freo vs wce practice match. I loved it. Great day out.

They did it once for a pre season game. Had the AFLW derby followed by freo vs wce practice match. I loved it. Great day out.
yes shame there is no PReseason Cup like the old days . But the players dont want longer season so now it al ljsut starts with Community games,

lol..

that is how it used to be in the old days.
As a kid I remember going to the oval to watch the colts , then the reserves . and finally the league teams.

Was a great day out even if it rained.

But yes times have changed and you are right, majority of people dont want longer time at football.

So the issue is the season MUST be in winter as that is FOOTBALL season. Not in summer or any other hotter months.

TV broadcasts will clash with any ladies games during AFLM season.
I think we are in catch 22
Even in them ye olden timee times only about 50 close family and friends (and relentless drunks at the bar) would constitute the audience for the reserves Q1-Q4.

Even in them ye olden timee times only about 50 close family and friends (and relentless drunks at the bar) would constitute the audience for the reserves Q1-Q4.
Not true when I was a kid my brother took me and usually about the same size crowd as AFLW average

But today less likely to occur so many other things to occupy people

Not true when I was a kid my brother took me and usually about the same size crowd as AFLW average

But today less likely to occur so many other things to occupy people
For the reserves? Hmmmm not sure that was a weekly occurrence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Folks - can we move back to the general AFLW thread and out of this game day one? I’ll bump the other one. DragoDelph - would it be worthwhile locking this seeing the game was over a couple of days ago?
Yeah maybe.

Though we don't do a review/changes thread.

What are the thoughts on after the game, rolling into a review/changes then game day thread for the coming week?

Yeah maybe.

Though we don't do a review/changes thread.

What are the thoughts on after the game, rolling into a review/changes then game day thread for the coming week?
Probably easier to just use the main thread all year, the way we usually do it

Means all the convo is kept in one place, it just works better with the smaller amount of interest, especially as people dropoff throughout the season

I think the minority would be people willing to spend the 6hours at the footy plus whatever transit time to and from. Crowds would be disastrously bad if they went the curtain raiser and even worse if they had it after the mens match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy Match day thread Essendon Versus Fremantle - Sat 31st August

Remove this Banner Ad

Back