Match Discussion Carlton v Geelong Round 9 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad luck to you guys you deserved to win last night so we were very lucky to get the 4 points. I was impressed with the 4 quarter effort the blues put in and you are def top 4 quality this year. Good luck for the rest of the season and until we meet again.

Thanks CF, we prob should have won but our efficiency just continues to let us down and you can't do that against your boys, I just hope we continue it for the rest of the year, I'm a bit surprised we don't meet again this year, we may cross paths in finals, all the best for the rest of the season

Disappointed with the result but not with the way we played. We won all the key stats except the scoreboard. Again more behinds than goals hurts us. We seemed to get scored against easily once they got past our press.

Murphy - fantastic game, led from the front. superstar
Scotland - underated and close to BOG.
Laidler - great game, loves a crunching tackle and so resilient.
Duigan - great marks, couple of stuff ups in the 3rd and a bit of thornton body language that he needs to ger rid of. still a great addition.
Simmo - great game, 3 goals, worked hard all game.
Waite - cant say enough about him. is our only tall option and works his butt off. alot of marks, presented all night and alot of the times was outnumbered but brought the ball to gorund. Great year thus far.
Walker - really good contesting and looked dangerous all night. been a great move to go forward.
Gartlett - great chasing and tackling and looked dangerous.
Betts - quiet but great forward presure
Yarran - quiet like the richmond game but didnt sulk like round 1. kept chasing, tackling and in the end got some of the ball.
Jammo - killed pods and kept AA form going.
Thronton - solid game from him. did nothing wrong and keeps his place on that form.
Russell - great rebounding and offered alot of atack from half back. got lost a few times and couldnt keep up with johnson at times. but still good game.
Carrazzo - usual game, plenty of hard work but few turnovers (as usual, lol)
Armfield - quiet and dint offer much. pace is important though.
Mclean - looked good for about 10 minutes but slow for the rest
Robbo - good when he came on, fumbly early but worked into it. not sure if sub is right for him though.
ellard - good game, loves it tough and played his part well, tackled well.
Judd - quiet first half but got the clearances. obviously effected by the foot inury. great goal, need more of that from him.
Setanta - quiet and dint offer much. just holding kruezers spot.
Warnock - obviously missed the goal, crucial. Didnt offer much around the ground which he was early in the year. reckoned he smashed ottens in the ruck and gave us first use. some great hitouts.
Gibbs - the general, loved his game and used it well. very good 2nd half of johnson.

Good wrap up Frumpy.

Agree on Yaz, he worked hard to get in it and laid 7 tackles by the end. He's still only 20 so will be up and down.

Also on Robbo. A guy with ADD can't sit and watch like that.

I thought Setanta did a bit more than you gave him credit for. He gets the ball to ground inside 50 which is priceless.

Was too upset to post last night, but after sleeping on it felt slightly better. Still gutted that we lost, we won all the KPIs but just kicked ourselves out of it with 3.6 in the last when they kicked 3.1.

Waite made the distance from outside 50 and all we needed was for someone Warnock to shepherd it through on the goal line. Instead, Milburn had a free, running jump and punched it through without any opposition.

I seriously don't understand why someone didn't go on the line.

I don't want to blame Warnock for that in particular because I don't know if he was on the ground at the time Waite was lining up. But as soon as Waite marked it me and my friends watching it on TV were calling for Warnock (or Setanta) to go to the line and provide a shepherd, no one did. We need to not lose focus in these matches and play the percentages better. Was a tremendous kick from Waite and should have won us the game.

The free kick so close to goal and missing by a mile was heartbreaking.:( No disrespect to Warnock but needs to work on his kicking. There was a game a few weeks ago where he had a free kick(granted on a tough angle) he kicked it out of bounds on the full, then he had another chance from a much easier angle and barely kicked a point. If Ottens was in a similar situation to last night you would back him to kick that 9 times out of 10.

The bad things aside was excellent to see Scotland and Murphy step up when Judd was hampered by injury. Waite was just fantastic. Provided such a great target up forward for us, marked extremely well and when he couldn't mark it he created a contest. :thumbsu: Would have loved for his last kick to have gone through for goal and win us the game, would have been fitting.

*edit* Ok apparently Warnock wasn't feeling right after the knock to the head, so slightly more forgivable. Maybe should have gone off and let another player take the kick but all in the past now. Get well soon 206.

Such a beautiful left foot kick - why do I cringe whenever he kicks for goal on his right? Something like 0 goals 8 behinds in the last 6 weeks the commentators said.:eek:

Carlton will not win a flag while the following are in the team,
carrazzo, o,halpin, robinson, armfield, and simpson ( coughs it up when the pressure is on, how is he in the leadership group would not inspire a flea).

carrazzo, o,halpin, robinson, armfield, and simpson ( coughs it up when the pressure is on, how is he in the leadership group would not inspire a flea).

Kinda like how Collingwood wouldn't win a premiership with Leon Davis in their team? And yet they gave him a medal - what a crock!

Spot on TG....we used to kill small forwards last year but they've hurt us this year by kicking bags. Flow on effect of Bower being in is substantial though, Laids wont have to tale players 10+cms taller than him and Yarran can take the next worse opponent more often.
I was thinking more along the lines of getting a Lucas, Tuohy and Davies to play as a defender like Enright and Gibbs. We need another medium sized defender who has poise and is good overhead. A shame that we can't give Armfield and Joseph O'Keeffe left boot. And Rhys their speed and agility. Joseph's and possibly Armfield's papers might be stamped like Browne's.

Gutted that we didn't get over the line last night, but there are certainly some issues that need some tinkering with over the coming weeks.

The resting ruckmen just isn't working for us. Once Henderson and Kreuzer are ready for selection, this will help us no end. It effectively means that we can have Henderson/Kreuzer, Waite and Walker as our talls in our forward line, and not have to be reliant on Warnock and to a lesser extent O'Hailpin to push forward as well.

To the other end of the ground, we need to get Bower and White back in as well. This does 2 things. Strengthens our backline big time, and also releases Gibbs into the midfield. Our back 6 could look like:

White Jamison Laidler
Duigan Bower Yarran

This also allows more flexibility with our matchups, as guys like JR and Armfield can go back as well.

Wow you underestimate Simpson + Carrazo. As for the other players they are somewhat depth players filling in for Bower, Kreuz and Curnow. But even still they are capable. Robbo could run over Dawes in a heartbeat :D

Yeh I lost my voice from so yelling so much.

The Geelong supporters sitting next to me wanted Podsiadly to be dropped because they think he's shit.
I was just thinking WTF? He's your only tall forward capable of doing anything. They were way too smug for my liking.

Bit harsh mate. I can't speak for the guy you were sitting next to, but the reason most Cats supporters were disappointed in both individual players and the performance is because we want to improve. We know we're not going to win anything this year if we play like that. Obviously, there's an excitement that we won the game, but in the context of the rest of the season, there were some bad signs last night. As supporters, we're not dispassionate, we're just very pedantic and stern judges of our own club, as most are.

Sometimes I don't know what people want from opposition supporters. You're supposed to be humble in victory, but not too humble or else it comes across as patronising. You're supposed to realistic about the manner of your win - especially if there was an element of luck involved, as with last night's last minute miss - but not so disappointed in your performance that it seems like you assumed victory in the first place.

Personally I thought Carlton deserved to win. We'll probably see you guys again in the first week of finals (2nd vs. 3rd, in whatever order), and on the basis of last night's evidence, Carlton would have every right to go in confident - you match up against us better around the ground than any other team in the competition (including Collingwood - not saying you're better than them though, if that makes sense).

Just to clarify something for me(might have been covered previously) in the incident before Duigan was penalised for abuse didn't Ottens clearly grab the ball from a ruck contest then was tackled? So we should have had a free kick. That's what I remember but it was in the heat of the moment and didn't see the replay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to clarify something for me(might have been covered previously) in the incident before Duigan was penalised for abuse didn't Ottens clearly grab the ball from a ruck contest then was tackled? So we should have had a free kick. That's what I remember but it was in the heat of the moment and didn't see the replay.

I sit in the 2nd tier Carlton members reserve area on the 50 metre arc at that end. We had a perfect view of that, and that's how I saw it. The chase and tackle that led to the ball up could just as easily have been paid as well.

I think the umpire created the frustration that caused Duigs to go off tap. The crowd around me was livid and I thought rightly so.

One of these days, those 50/50 decisions are going to start to go our way, but oh well, we still had our chances and just couldn't take 'em.

It was a free kick every day of the week, except in umpire #26's tiny mind. He had a purple patch during the third. Didn't pay 3 bleeding obvious frees to us in defence, and gifted that outrageous goal to Geelong. I watched him trying to justify himself to the other umpires at the break, and he wasn't getting much love from them either.

Listening to Mick Malthouse on the radio last night during the game and he was raving about simpson, courageous, skilled, steps up...

Why is he in the leadership group ? Same reason Maxwell is your captain I suppose.

The lack of passion and interest that most of them show. They expect to show up every week and win and it makes them look like complete w***ers. When they win close games, it's as though it's just another game of footy.

This is true, my sister lives in Geelong, and she says the same thing

The lack of passion and interest that most of them show. They expect to show up every week and win and it makes them look like complete w***ers. When they win close games, it's as though it's just another game of footy.

Don't equate passion with the ignorant w***ers that incessantly stand up and hurl profanities on every decision that doesn't go their way.

Cats fan are very passionate about their team but on the whole have always seemed to be less vitriolic in the stands than other team "supporters". :thumbsu:

Don't equate passion with the ignorant w***ers that incessantly stand up and hurl profanities on every decision that doesn't go their way.

Cats fan are very passionate about their team but on the whole have always seemed to be less vitriolic in the stands than other team "supporters". :thumbsu:

Easy to be "less vitriolic" when you are winning everything. Let's see how you go when you are down the bottom again.

Scarlett may be having a chat with the tribunal

It was easy to miss but have a look at the attached video. Seen in real time nothing is apparent, but keep watching till the slo-mo replay.

Sure looks to me like Scarlett deliberately gave Andy Carrazzo a smack across the eyes or possibly even a finger in an eye.

Video

Re: Scarlett may be having a chat with the tribunal

It was easy to miss but have a look at the attached video. Seen in real time nothing is apparent, but keep watching till the slo-mo replay.

Sure looks to me like Scarlett deliberately gave Andy Carrazzo a smack across the eyes or possibly even a finger in an eye.

Video
:rolleyes:

He's obviously trying to collect the footy as it came out but missed. The ball came out, he continued to attack the footy. Absolutely nothing in that.

The ones sitting around me last night were.....bland , no doubt love their team, but very ho hum

Remove this Banner Ad

Match Discussion Carlton v Geelong Round 9 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back