Game Day Match Sim vs Hawthorn - Daz can’t be effed making a new one

Remove this Banner Ad

I can feel the avalanche of hate about to fall. The audible crack of ice , get under the ledge...the crumbling bits of ice and here...it...comes...

SEN this morning had Cornes saying its everyone eles playing for second .... Edmond starts his show ... with. the Jaws sound track ....

Rich and melb supporters are going to be acid like in their dismissal. .... for us ... its a long year. Its only Feb. d prefer not to be the front runner so early.

Bruhn is easily going to surpass parfitt. Not sure how parfitt fits into this side to be frank. I easily have bruhn ahead of him after that bull like inside mid showing.
Agreed. He only got a spot on the GF due to the injury to Holmes. I know Sel has retired, but brining in Bruhn and Bowes, I think he won't be in our best 23 when everyone is fit. He'll play a few games no doubt, but I doubt he's in our 23 one the end of the year.

Considering most years we get belted in pre season it was nice to be on the other end, albeit with a giant pinch of salt.
Said a bit about where hawthorn is at though, there is not a single player that played yesterday that you’d say “gee wish they were in the hoops”. Their list is horrible and will struggle winning 4 games this year.
Of the new guys, thought Bowes looked fantastic, his disposal and calm in traffic were elite, looks a great replacement for Duncan in coming years. Bruhn was a bull inside and exactly what we’ve needed the last few years. As for Ollie Henry, think we have an absolute gun in the making. Pies should of overpaid because the guy will be one of the best forwards in the league in a few years time.
Although we had a lot of seniors in the team, we threw the magnets around, and guys barely got out of 2nd gear. Our ball use and ball movement was next level for this time of year.
No reason we can’t push for a flag again this year. Our genuine depth is the best in the league and have ready replacements all over the ground should someone go down.
Last observation, Z Guthrie looked to have gone another level again. He was so impressive yesterday. My smokey for All Australian this year.

I can feel the avalanche of hate about to fall. The audible crack of ice , get under the ledge...the crumbling bits of ice and here...it...comes...

SEN this morning had Cornes saying its everyone eles playing for second .... Edmond starts his show ... with. the Jaws sound track ....

Rich and melb supporters are going to be acid like in their dismissal. .... for us ... its a long year. Its only Feb. d prefer not to be the front runner so early.
I have this feeling that we'll ease into the season like last year with a few wins and losses and start to ramp it up later in the year like Brisbane did in the early 2000s.

A loss to Collingwood in R1 and another unexpected one in the first month will have every nuffie and their dog out calling Geelong done.

But a win in R1 away to the Pies and the media will have the lid off until September.

I'm all for it, let's enjoy the ride while we have this sublimely talented football team to watch.

Cornes is f***ing idiot

I'm sure they would have said the same thing this time last year about Melbourne.
Especially when melbourne won its first 10 games

i am feeling bad for secretly hoping we get a lot of injuries in first half of the year and are 7 and 4 at half way. Being talked about as too old. (yes I want the exact same experience as 2022 given the outcome!!). I don’t think that is going to happen. Even with injuries we could get off to a flier and have to stay as clear favourites all year to win. Not easy

Media always blows the load to early every year it is a one horse race with everyone fighting for second. Same thing happened last year for example

Tanner is in it (which i said ages ago).
Bowes will probably be in it.
OH may force his way in while hawkins is out at least.

A couple of guys from the best 23 will drop out (maybe oconnor playing the vfl game was something we may see more of).
I agree with all of those points…but I reckon most of us expected those things. Certainly you (and me) have been big on Tanner for a while so i didn’t learn anything there. Bowes I think has always been classy - what we don’t know is if he can stand up to rigours each week? OH can be brilliant.

so I feel we knew that? What I was referring to is that it is hard to clean other potential learnings given quality of opposition?

ie. is Sav going to be a regular, will Dempsey crack the regular rotation? who is going to drop off? All really difficult in such a one sided practise game. Assume we learn more next week against Brisbane?

my watch outs…

‘’parfait might be squeezed out of rotation. Tough given he has given 100 games to get to be a certainty. Not because he isn’t good enough to play afl regularly just because I can see so many ahead of him (danger, guthrie, Atkins, bruhn, holmes, blitz, and even Jack bouw. Not to mention plenty of others who can go in for one or two goes). And you have Clark, mitch, whyte (I know they are trialling back) over next few years coming up….

then in Backline for those “smalls/medium” we have so many options that i suspect MOC also squeezed. Think about bews, Atkins, 2E, duncan, zuthrie, Jack even Smith that is 6 ahead of him for a couple of roles

then menegola who again is clearly good enough. But do they back him in given options they have (Blitz, 2E and stewart can add to a wing option on top of Holmes, Smith, Bruhn etc)

and I haven’t got to forward options which also seem plentiful given you can rotate many of those same players through which might keep Dempsey out given the options we have.

just exhausting! So what I did NOT learn is how we squeeze 30 into 23

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw plenty from the new guys yesterday to show that they could easily slide into the side.

But... I didn’t see anything from the guys already in the side that would make me think that they should come out.

Assuming Holmes come in for MOC though.

Besides that I watch guys like Parf and think... he won’t be ahead of Bowes/Bruhn on yesterday’s game, but Parf really wasn’t in the starting side anyway.

I’d say injury’s or just unavailability will be what is the biggest factor on us seeing guys like Henry, Bowes and Bruhn straight away.

When you think about it, boy it was a bad time for Neale to not be fit and firing.
Any kind of ok game for him would have him looking like getting a run for Hawk... but they played J Henry forward and Neale missed a chance.

I’m unsure if Neale will be fit to play next practice match but if he’s gonna need to really turn it on in the VFL because Hawk will come back, we are looking to give Sav chances back which pushes Jack Henry forward + Ollie Henry can really play.

Jack might be hurt and open a door for Neale but I’m unsure about his injury and Rohan is still going to come back in.

It’s just one practice match but I feel it was a terrible time for Neale to not be flying on the track.

Taking the pressure off his flakey mob!

Didn’t see any of the match sim but great (and exciting) feedback here on AFL players.
For VFL any stand out, particularly KPDs ?

We basically had no KPDs in the VFL match - commentators at one stage mentioning how Geelong was playing smaller compared with Box Hill, and thus they were each looking to play at a different tempo during the last 4 periods

Loved visiting the Cattery after a long absence.

Enjoyed watching the new players. Bruhn looks great.

Seems like Henry will play round one so will be interesting against the Pies

Must admit I didn't see Bowes do a lot but I remember leaving the MCG one day many years ago and commented that Toby Bairstow didn't do a lot but I read in the paper the next day he had 40 kicks. So I'm not a great observer.

Cameron is such a class act Don't think he tried too hard either Injury free he looks unstoppable this year.

Also very impressed with Zach G. Can't believe the improvement which he deserves many plaudits for.

Noticed Ceglar addressed the players huddle at the start of the 3rd No idea what he said but he cracked them all up. Bews was still laughing a minute later.

Especially when melbourne won its first 10 games

i am feeling bad for secretly hoping we get a lot of injuries in first half of the year and are 7 and 4 at half way. Being talked about as too old. (yes I want the exact same experience as 2022 given the outcome!!). I don’t think that is going to happen. Even with injuries we could get off to a flier and have to stay as clear favourites all year to win. Not easy
Hoping for injuries? Well that certainly goes against my definition of a “supporter”

Parfitt criminally underrated on here. He has played over 100 games and when fit has been a walk up start in the seniors. I believe he has played 1 or 2 VFL games in his entire career, and now he is not going to be in the side as he hits his prime years? I don’t buy it. He will be in the side as he always is.

Agreed. He only got a spot on the GF due to the injury to Holmes. I know Sel has retired, but brining in Bruhn and Bowes, I think he won't be in our best 23 when everyone is fit. He'll play a few games no doubt, but I doubt he's in our 23 one the end of the year.

You can see the team transitioning and guys like Parfitt and Menegola will come under pressure as we continue to evolve.
We have added considerably to our mid sized stocks through drafting and trading and that is absolutely needed with Duncan, Tuohy and Smith in the latter stages of their fabulous careers. Joel has also left the building. :(
I think we saw that Bruhn, Bowes and OH will be capable of best 22 yesterday ( only one outing but.....) and Dempsey is obviously highly regarded as well - that will put pressure on selection.
Good problem to have but there will be some casualties along the way - upside of that is our VFL team should be more competitive in 2023.

Jack really didnt look good when he went off, got a bad feeling that will be more surgery, best to do it now and slowly build him back up.

Parfitt criminally underrated on here. He has played over 100 games and when fit has been a walk up start in the seniors. I believe he has played 1 or 2 VFL games in his entire career, and now he is not going to be in the side as he hits his prime years? I don’t buy it. He will be in the side as he always is.

Hes a good player but i can see it. Was basically last picked in the 23 for the GF, if bruhn is going to become a full time mid which i suspect he will-we arguably dont need 2 defensive mids and i think atkins is ahead of parfitt for that role. Parfitt would get a game at a lot of clubs but i can see him not being a regular for us this year.

The choice to keep Sav is looking smarter by the week. He plays back and Sam Dek gives us options. Rohan, Duncan still to come in but neither are talls . Its certainly an area of potential vulnerability.

Bit of a worry for R1 if Henry is under an injury cloud. Not sure SDK and Sav would be the best match ups against Collingwood's undersized forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Match Sim vs Hawthorn - Daz can’t be effed making a new one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back